Trekking Poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trekking Poles

I am looking for trekking poles that have, or can be adapted to have, "points" on the end for walking on snow/ice in the winter.

I have the shoe gripper things that make me feel more secure on snowy/icy surfaces, but I am still concerned about parking lots. I work full time, often arriving at work before daylight, so it is difficult to tell if a "shiny" area of blacktop is just wet or icy. And if I start to slip, I'm going down for sure!

I was thinking that trekking poles would give me greater stability and confidence, but the poles would have to have the "points" that would stick into the ice. I've searched the internet, but haven't been able to find any of these type poles. Any suggestions where I might look? Thanks for any information you can provide!

I was in Wally's a few months ago and they have some with metal tips and a rubber cushion you can use for dry surfaces. Somehow, it did not look like it would do well with the rubber part on it though and would be far safer for ice and snow. fed

Comment

I have a regular hiking stick that we bought at a local store. It has the metal tip, with the rubber tip to cover it up for smooth surfaces. I love it - I think I walk with better posture using it.

Check sporting goods stores or hiking supplies online. They are out there.

Good Luck!

Comment

I got mine at REI and love, love them. Walking is easier for me - more so than my cane. Plus you get some arm exercise in while you use them. Good luck finding a pair for yourself!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I got mine at REI and love, love them.
          Same here!

Canary54,

You can find ends (tips/feet, whatever you want to call them) to put on Trekking Poles and yes, you can get find ones that are for ice and snow.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I use Leki hiking poles, they got a metal tip that works great on gravel, ice, cement etc, the removable rubber tips only work indoors and on pavement, sidewalks etc. They are collapsible great on planes and if one needs to go down a lot of stairs you make them longer. I have had mine for 15 years, they are not cheap, but are indestructible. I get new rubber tips every so often.

Comment

I second the idea of checking REI for trekking poles. Not only did my local store have a good selection, they offered good in-store assistance, a chance to try them out in-store and a fantastic "happiness" promise.

A year after I bought them, when I had a problem with the base of a pole (base includes spring option, as well as point or non-pointy bottom), I went back to REI for help and got it immediately. They fixed my trekking pole/stick on site in a few minutes for free and sent me on my way with smiles. How refreshing!

The rubber base works well in most situations, and the pointed base has served me well in snow and ice, although my balance issues are now beginning to overtake the assistance they provide. The poles stay where I put them but sometimes they are useless against my tendency to lean and/or waver. Can't blame the hardware though!

Comment

My poles are Black Diamond but I use Leki rubber tips. I use the rubber tips indoor/outdoor year round, even in snow.

Leki rubber tips:
                http://www.backcountrygear.com/leki-...F10015_d_BLACK
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
                X