Disneyland's new Disability Assistance program discriminates against MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disneyland's new Disability Assistance program discriminates against MS

Disneyland's wheelchair policy is that wheelchairs must wait in line with the able-bodied public where the line is accessible. For non-wheelchairs, you get a card that holds your place in line based on the current wait time for the ride.

For heat sensitive wheelchair bound people with MS, this is cruel to make them sit in the sun. Even with the "hold your place in line" system to wait somewhere where it is cooler, most people with MS can't make it through a whole day at Disneyland because of fatigue. Now we get less for your very expensive $100 ticket because we can't make it a whole day like everyone else can.

This is all because of the jerks that abused this system. Why punish disabled people based on the actions of liars and cheats?

I can't post a URL in the forum so here's the article from disneytreasures dot com:

=====================
    =====================

No More Guest Assistance Cards at Disneyland/WDW

The existing Guest Assistance Card (GAC) program is set to be discontinued and replaced with a new system on Wednesday, October 9th at Disneyland and DCA. As we’ve outlined for you before, after years of revolving door executives not wanting to get near the GAC issue, the rampant fraud inherent in the 10 year old GAC program was brought to an embarrassing light via an expose on The Today Show last May. Only then did the executives on both coasts admit that something finally had to be done, and the existing Guest Assistance Card will cease to exist on October 9th.

In its place will be an entirely new program called the Disabled Assistance System (DAS). The DAS will work similarly to the “return passes” issued at popular rides like Star Tours 2.0 and Radiator Springs Racers, where currently a GAC holder gets a Fastpass-style return time hand written on a card based on the current Standby wait time. But with DAS, that concept will be rolled out to several dozen high-wait attractions in Anaheim. Instead of going to the actual ride to get a return card, a DAS holder will report to one of several Guest Relations kiosks that will be set up around the parks, with a current plan to have four kiosks in Disneyland (Fantasyland alone gets their own kiosk) and three kiosks in DCA. The DAS holder will present their card and tell the Guest Relations CM which attraction they want to ride, the CM will look at the current wait time via the official Disney Mobile Magic app on an iPad, and will then write out a return time for that attraction and subtract 10 or 15 minutes to make up for the travel time to and from the kiosk.
    Only one ride reservation on a DAS card can be made at a time, so if the current wait for Space Mountain is 90 minutes and your return time is written for 75 minutes later, a DAS holder will not get another return time printed on their DAS until the first one has expired. A person with a DAS card could go and do anything else in the park in the meantime; watch a parade, see a show, have lunch, go on low-wait time attractions, pull a regular Fastpass for any other attraction, etc. But only one ride time can be reserved at a time with DAS, unlike the existing GAC which serves as basically an open Fastpass for any Fastpass lane in the park or an access card to go up the exit on any other type of attraction. The DAS changes that quite dramatically.

Card
    The DAS cards will be issued only at Guest Relations offices in both parks, and the DAS kiosks are only for checking in for a specific ride. There will be no different stamps on the DAS like the current GAC with its half dozen stamp codes; you will either be issued a DAS or you will be instructed to use a wheelchair or other aid for your mobility issue. DAS will only be issued for one day at a time, although folks who can prove they are staying at a hotel for a few days could get a DAS dated for a short length of stay.

The person who is disabled and who has the DAS issued to them will also have their digital photo taken at Guest Relations, and the photo will be printed on the front of the DAS card and used by CM’s at the attractions to confirm that the DAS holder is actually going on the ride. The photos will prevent a current form of abuse, whereby one member of a party gets a GAC issued to them but then insists to the CM’s that they don’t want to ride they just want their children or friends to go in through the exit and skip the line while they wait nearby on a bench. Or worse, children or others in the party are coached into telling the CM’s that they are the person listed who was issued the GAC. To use a DAS, the person the DAS is issued to must be present at the kiosk and at the attraction and must go on the ride for the DAS privilege to work for the rest of the party.

There are more radical changes in DCA, where all queues and park facilities meet ADA requirements for wheelchair accessibility. In DCA, a person in a wheelchair or ECV won’t receive any extra courtesies or services beyond those visitors who are not in a wheelchair. People visiting DCA in wheelchairs likely won’t qualify for a DAS, and will now experience the park as everyone else does, including waiting in Standby lines and juggling Fastpass return times. The task of implementing that culture change will be more intense in Anaheim than Orlando as there are currently 55 attractions at Disneyland Resort that use a ride vehicle, and about 35 of those have wheelchair accessible queues. Comparatively, there are a total of 46 attractions at Walt Disney World’s four parks combined that use a ride vehicle, and 38 of those have wheelchair accessible queues. There are more rides overall at Disneyland Resort compared to WDW, and more of them in Anaheim are not wheelchair accessible.

At Disneyland Park there are 20 rides that have been identified as non-wheelchair accessible, and at those 20 rides an accommodation of going through the exit or a Fastpass lane will be offered to those in wheelchairs. A person in a wheelchair doesn’t need a DAS to get access at those attractions, thereby limiting the issuing of DAS cards in that park. Disneyland’s operations teams are studying ways to restore the wheelchair accessibility designed into the queues of some newer rides, like Indiana Jones, to allow a DCA-style equity to exist at as many Disneyland rides as possible. It should be noted that the work implementing DAS, which has had lots of executive involvement from both coasts, has now generated serious discussion in TDA on creating a five-year plan of capital expenditure to go in to those older rides and retrofit them with wheelchair accessible queues. But that’s still a few years away.

pic_Hor

Thanks to MiceChat
    The goal behind DAS is to still offer service to those who may need it, but to also eliminate the wild excesses of the GAC system which operated on most days and on most rides as an unlimited Fastpass card and/or a backdoor pass to slip in via the exit with a much shorter wait. The one exception to the DAS program is made for Make-A-Wish children. A new Genie lanyard has been created for Make-A-Wish children that will act like an unlimited Fastpass and instant backdoor access card (basically the same thing as the current GAC with the “green light” stamp on it), and it will be sent to the families just before their visit directly from the Make-A-Wish headquarters in Phoenix. The Make-A-Wish cards won’t be kept on Disney property, at the specific request of Disney to avoid any ability to use that courtesy for anyone other than qualified Make-A-Wish visitors.

Guest Relations and Attractions Cast Members in both parks have already been scheduled classroom training for the DAS program through late September and early October. The Guest Relations team will get the most intensive training day, as they’ll be on the front lines of this new system as they try and reel in expectations of Annual Passholders used to having a GAC with easy access to any ride they wanted. Staffing for Guest Relations is being beefed up as much as possible beginning with roll-out day on Wednesday, October 9th, and the Security department has also been asked to help staff officers in Guest Relations centers in Disneyland and DCA to help with anyone who may get verbally abusive or threaten violence against those Guest Relations CM’s doling out the more restrictive DAS cards.

The real day to watch will be Friday, October 11th, two days after DAS begins and the first day when 25,000+ Annual Passholders show up in the evening. This is going to be ugly for at least a few weeks, everyone agrees on that. It helps that the exact same program is being rolled out at WDW at the same time, and that finally there are several senior executives supporting the program. It will be interesting to see how strong the executives stand behind the DAS program when the inevitable ugly media stories begin showing up on the local news and online, or heaven forbid if the CM’s in the parks really start taking serious verbal or physical abuse.

Perhaps they should give out those 'beeper' gizmos for a ride and 'schedule' the rides for the handicapped and disabled.

There would never be an appearance of 'preference' if one comes in disabled with a gizmo flickering and beeping.

Has to be a better system!

I just quit going because the 'waiting' in line, was too much for me. But, I don't live that far from Disney, either. fed

They simply NEED to make appointments for rides and stop making so many 'WAIT' in line. Imagine all the years of lives that are lost, waiting in Disneys lines?

Comment

Originally posted by Fed Up View Post
      There would never be an appearance of 'preference' if one comes in disabled with a gizmo flickering and beeping. ...

They simply NEED to make appointments for rides and stop making so many 'WAIT' in line.
      The problem that led to the change in policy wasn't whether someone was able to be identified as handicapped so beeping gizmos wouldn't solve the problem. And the problem wasn't that handicapped people had to wait in long lines with everyone else because they don't under the program that's being discontinued and they won't have to under the new program either.

The problem came from Disney's policy of allowing everyone who accompanied a handicapped person to also get preferential admission to a ride without waiting. As a result, able bodied people and families were hiring - paying - people with handicaps - usually in wheelchairs so they were in fact easy to identify - to accompany them to Disneyland for the sole purpose of getting preferential admission to rides without waiting. So of course people who are able bodied and follow the rules were outraged that both able bodied people and handicapped people were abusing the system.

The new system is an appointment system so handicapped visitors still won't have to wait in line. They will be able to show up at the front of the with their appointment card and get right in at their appointed time without waiting.

But a lot of people who are handicapped or care for someone who is handicapped are saying that making them wait for an appointment still discriminates against them because they can't get immediate, spur of the moment admission to whatever ride they want to go on.

The OP said: "For heat sensitive wheelchair bound people with MS, this is cruel to make them sit in the sun." It sounds like the OP didn't actually read the article or understand the new policy before complaining. People in wheelchairs already don't have to sit in the sun and won't have to under the new policy.

The article posted says: "A person with a DAS card could go and do anything else in the park in the meantime; watch a parade, see a show, have lunch, go on low-wait time attractions, pull a regular Fastpass for any other attraction, etc." The common complaint about the new policy is that it's discrimination to make them have to do something else until their appointment time when they want to be able to just walk up to the front of the line and get in just as soon as they want to.

The new policy does not sound like it's discriminating against people with MS and certainly not for the reason the OP thought.

Comment

kkrazychic
        For heat sensitive wheelchair bound people with MS, this is cruel to make them sit in the sun.
        I have been to Disneyland 2 different time both times were done in late March. We got rain but not much for heat.

In the 28 years of having MS we have always tried to plan these types of vacations in the cooler months.

most people with MS can't make it through a whole day at Disneyland because of fatigue.
        Don't speak on behalf of "most" with MS. Both years I went to Disneyland I spent 3 full days enjoying the park.

MSer102
        As a result, able bodied people and families were hiring - paying - people with handicaps - usually in wheelchairs so they were in fact easy to identify - to accompany them to Disneyland for the sole purpose of getting preferential admission to rides without waiting.
        Yes. It was shameful in my opinion.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post

The problem came from Disney's policy of allowing everyone who accompanied a handicapped person to also get preferential admission to a ride without waiting. As a result, able bodied people and families were hiring - paying - people with handicaps - usually in wheelchairs so they were in fact easy to identify - to accompany them to Disneyland for the sole purpose of getting preferential admission to rides without waiting. So of course people who are able bodied and follow the rules were outraged that both able bodied people and handicapped people were abusing the system.

The new system is an appointment system so handicapped visitors still won't have to wait in line. They will be able to show up at the front of the with their appointment card and get right in at their appointed time without waiting.
          This issue made our local TV news tonight. (And I live hundreds of miles away from WDW and Disneyland). A better system was necessary and should prove beneficial for all patrons who have legitimate disabilities. We witnessed the abuse of the former system early on, when we saw able-bodied teens take turns sitting in the park's rented wheelchairs so their group could quickly get onto rides. It was enough to make my blood boil. But, there was no way employees or honest park patrons could 'police' the issue.

I don't think you will hear many complaints about the discontinuation of the HAC from handicapped patrons who frequent Walt Disney World. The HAC hasn't been advantageous there for several years. WDW changed their policy at least 4 years ago, that's when we first experienced the change. (We found it didn't even matter anymore if I had a HAC.)

Even back then, we were told changes were made that limited who was given quick access to the front of the line (i.e. someone w/ severe autism, where a long wait meant a meltdown was inevitable for that child). It's even more disgraceful when abuse of the system affects young children w/disabilities (and their caregivers). Walt must've been turning over in his grave!

The past few years we have had to wait in line or use the fast past option just like everyone else at WDW. The only exception was when the ride was only accessible through the exit, because of my required use of a w/c. Navigating through the line maze in a w/c (especially a power chair) definitely had it's challenges. I also needed to make sure I used the bathroom before we got in line. Add to this the fact our days were cut shorter just because of my fatigue.

Because heat intolerance is a major issue for me, we only went during the winter. That meant pulling our kids out of school, which was sometimes an issue all it's own. But, we were grateful for the fact that we could still go at all and that so much of the park is handicapped accessible. We still made our visits work and I wouldn't trade any of the opportunities we've had to visit WDW.

WDW is more handicapped accessible than any other place I know of!! Just because things are harder for us doesn't mean we are entitled to special privileges there or anywhere else. We should be embracing the fact Disney parks have sought a better system for the disabled community that will try to inhibit future abuse.
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
            Because heat intolerance is a major issue for me, we only went during the winter. That meant pulling our kids out of school, which was sometimes an issue all it's own. But, we were grateful for the fact that we could still go at all and that so much of the park is handicapped accessible. We still made our visits work and I wouldn't trade any of the opportunities we've had to visit WDW.

WDW is more handicapped accessible than any other place I know of!! Just because things are harder for us doesn't mean we are entitled to special privileges there or anywhere else. We should be embracing the fact Disney parks have sought a better system for the disabled community that will try to inhibit future abuse.
            Kimba, thank you so much for posting your thoughts. I'm so glad that you've shown by taking personal responsibility for your situation - which isn't your fault - you are able to enjoy your life based on what you can do and not on what you can't. I'm so impressed that you've shown by doing that you are able to be grateful for what you have and not beaten down by what you don't have. I think that you have given your children a valuable life lesson.

It makes me so sad that so many people waste their lives in the sourness of what they can't do or have or what they think they're "entitled" to or what other people "owe" them. Your thoughts are inspiational. Many of us can learn from you. Thank you.

Comment

Thank YOU for the clarification. fed

Comment

Ya know, I really have no problem with the new deal. Besides helping curb abuses, I like the idea of making an appointment to get on rides.

Yeah, it would suck maneuvering my scooter through a line and heat would completely wipe me out, but I would feel kind of mortified if my family and I rolled up to a ride and were let on before people who'd been waiting for 3 hours.

We can sort out what we want to do and plan out our day based on our reservations. It's not the end of the world.
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Working...
                X