brace or hardware for leg that hyperextends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brace or hardware for leg that hyperextends

I have a neuro appointment at end of month and my right leg has gone from drop foot to a knee that now tends to hyperextend almost all the time.... I'm thinking brace or straps or ??? to prevent knee from exceeding normal limit ....

Would like to gather info before speaking with doc....

He's long-wlnded and the like a NYC cabbie... the meter's always running (with hope of cutting to the chase before the $100, 15 min. visit hyperextends).

Jer

Moderator, feel free to move this if you think responses will get better traction elsewhere. :-)

You are much better asking your neuro for an Rx (insurance purposes) for an orthotist to help you with recommendations and fitting.

Just keep it short and sweet! "I need a prescription to see an orthotist for my leg."

Good luck!

Comment

AFO

I had the same problem with foot drop and my knee hyperextending.I was prescribed an ankle foot orthosis (AFO). if they did both symptoms

Comment

Hello Jer. knowing how much you pay for a doctor visit, it might be hurting your pocket. Well I have a friend, who has the same situation as yours, currently using an AFO. It helps him a lot to improve his walking.

Good luck,

Comment

Hi Jer,

I also needed to see an othotist. I have a custom hinged-orthotic (you can google it) type of AFO. A neuro-physical therapist recommended it. I still haven't quite figured out how, but it helps keep my knee from hyperextending/buckling.

You should also ask for a prescription for physical therapy. A PT will teach you exercises to help you strengthen your knees.

Good luck!
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks to all responding!

I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I have insurance.

I just feel the expense is really out of line, even a conversation with the neuro. Especially considering the cost of DMD.

As misslux said.... I'll keep it short and sweet! "I need a prescription to see an orthotist for my leg."

Also I understand the PT suggestion, I do work out (w & wo trainer every other day, years before dx) and am in pretty fine shape, but still know I'm losing with this leg....

Best, Jer

Comment

Good luck and keep us updated on what AFO you get.

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                Thanks to all responding!

I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I have insurance.

I just feel the expense is really out of line, even a conversation with the neuro. Especially considering the cost of DMD.

As misslux said.... I'll keep it short and sweet! "I need a prescription to see an orthotist for my leg."

Also I understand the PT suggestion, I do work out (w & wo trainer every other day, years before dx) and am in pretty fine shape, but still know I'm losing with this leg....

Best, Jer
                Hoping that you can maximize the time that you'll spend with your Neuro and orthotist. Feel free to post if you need more suggestions, I'm sure a lot of people are willing to help and share their experience with you when using an AFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                  Hi Jer,

I also needed to see an othotist. I have a custom hinged-orthotic (you can google it) type of AFO. A neuro-physical therapist recommended it. I still haven't quite figured out how, but it helps keep my knee from hyperextending/buckling.

You should also ask for a prescription for physical therapy. A PT will teach you exercises to help you strengthen your knees.

Good luck!
                  Hello Kimba! Glad to hear that your AFO is helping your knee. Is that the first AFO that you wore?

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
                    Good luck and keep us updated on what AFO you get.
                    Hi Rinella, Kimba22, & others who responded to my original post (9/3) above....

Had a good meeting with Orthotist yesterday. Tried on a small handful of devises and think I'm going with something called "Don Joy Playmaker Wraparound."

If anyone is familiar with it or this type of AFO (not really an AFO...?), I would welcome comments before I follow through with getting a script from my neuro.

Once again, thanks to all who responded to original questions,

Jer

Comment

Working...
                    X