Afraid of falling,considering a Stair Lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afraid of falling,considering a Stair Lift

I fell down in September 2012 and broke my left shoulder and arm. I finally healed but now I seem to have a problem going up the stairs in our home. I can do it but I am scared to fall again. Someone has to walk behind me - just in case - and that isn't practical.

My husband and I are considering to put a stair lift into our house. Does anyone have a 'stair lift' and do you use it without a problem? It is a LOT OF MONEY, my insurance doesn't pay for it, I hate wasting money. I don't know what to do. Help!

PS We thought of buying a rambler but they are insane expensive here.
    Susan

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. "

Sorry to hear about your fall and the broken shoulder and arm. Ouch! I can totally understand your fear of falling again. I broke a bone last year when I fell. Any floor without plush carpeting still looks ominous to me.

I never used a stair lift so can't tell you from personal experience. My grandmother had one she used the last few years she was in her home. She had a couple of wicked falls and it was a miracle she didn't break any bones. It was expensive, but let her remain in her home.

We did consider one after I started having problems with the stairs, but were fortunate enough to move into a one story home, instead (aka a ranch, here ).

Remember, this won't be a waste of money if it helps you get safely up and down the stairs! It's just not worth falling and/or taking the person following down with you! I don't know if such a place exists, but maybe you could try one before you buy it.

Hopefully, there's someone here who has experience with one. Wishing you well ... and be safe!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Acorn

i have been using a stairlift for a while. i have help paying for it, so it didn't cost me personally too much. but even if i had paid for it, it would have been worth every penny. i feel a little silly sometimes, as i slowly cruise up the stairs, especially if there are people in the living room watching me. but,again, worth it all in the end. SO much better than falling!
      life is uncertain,
      eat dessert first!

Comment

Used stairlift

I have two stairlifts. One goes down to the basement, the other goes up the three steps to get from the garage to the house.

When we started looking for the garage lift, a local company suggested a used one. I had to wait a couple of weeks for them to uninstall a leased one that was no longer needed.
        It works fine, was in excellent shape, and was half the cost of a new one.

Sometimes I see them on ebay or craigslist, you'd just have to pay for installation from a professional company.

Comment

We have a stairlift. My husband shopped around on the Internet and we got 3 estimates to decide who to go with. We found the prices do vary a lot. You can also explore financial assistance through the MS society as well. Have heard they can help if you qualify.

Comment

Stir Lift

I attempted to get help from NMSS and also Medicare and Medicaid but to no avail. In the USA the Stair Lift is considered a "Home Improvement" and not a medical necessity!!! I think they are more needed by some than a power chair but yet they will help pay for those.

I am just being more careful and I climb the stairs much more slowly, and hold tight to the railing. I'm afraid that about the time I can afford one that I will move somewhere I do not need it (like in with one of my kids).
            Cheryl

Comment

Anything new on Stairlifts?

I used to use my basement stairs (pulling a string behind me for the cat) as a fun aerobic exercise - but by now I use a cane or walker, and stairs only work for me if there's a banister. I live alone, and laundry is getting dangerous... but I don't want to move the machines out of the basement, so I'm wondering about a stairlift.

The MS Foundation might be able to help pay for one, but wants a vendor quote. Someone else in this thread says she found a wide variety of prices - what looked best, both for cost and for function?

Comment

I did a little searching and came up with this http://www.ehow.com/how_6080403_appl...isability.html

It has points on how to apply for a stair lift. #7-#11 give you places to contact for financial assistance.

Another thing you could do is get in touch the Easter Seals, Catholic Charities or the Veterans Administration. Also, note you can deduct out-of-pocket costs for medical necessities on your federal income taxes. You will need a letter from your doctor.

Hope this may help those of you who are needing assistance.
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X