Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid to ride my powerchair alone

ARE YOU LEERY OF RIDING ALONE?

I'll tell you the truth...I am a bit leery of riding alone!

There is so many things that can happen like electro-mechanical malfunctions--
    we could get stuck in the mud or hung up or get a flat etc.
    ...that's why I really like to have another person-- a sidekick or caregiver or a personal care assistant riding along with us ---it makes our trips safer and much more enjoyable.

Lets face it...if we can't stand or walk &/or are mobility challenged then we are real easy pickings
    for thieves, robbers or assaults. All they need to do is knock us off our ride--and take off!
    Once a crook has your chair or scooter it will probably never be found by the police...because there is no registration or license or title to prove your ownership.

If you live near me here is the web site to download your MTA Para transit mobility form
    http://mta.mobility.gov/mobility

So if you want to go somewhere--join with other mobility impaired folks in your area...and don't ride alone...its a lot more fun and much safer with a buddy.

MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Hi, MSMman,

I'm not in a powerchair, but I understand your concern. I know even in my house (and I'm mobile) I carry a phone with me whenever I meander around the house, for whatever reason, because if I were to fall, I want to be able to notify someone if I had trouble getting up.

I thought you might enjoy watching some of the "adventures" of Wheelchair Kamikaze, in his powerchair.

He actually maneuvers through NYC, but I do notice that a lot of times he has someone with him. In the video I'm going to post, he shows how "dangerous" it can be in cities without proper curb cuts. He has quite a few of these videos on his site https://www.wheelchairkamikaze.com.

Unfortunately his MS has left him more limited these days in his movements and he hasn't made any videos recently, I think he's trying to stick with photography instead.

It's a really interesting blog with lots of good info...but here's the video I was talking about that chronicles his venture to travel across town in New York.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aPQp...=youtube_gdata

Comment

THANKS 4 THE UTUBE LINKS

I REALLY ENJOYED WATCHING THEM
      MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Comment

Mobility Man,

Just go for it!

I mean, you could be hit by a bus if you were walking, right? Or, in other words, accidents happen. Just be prepared. Always bring a charged cell phone with you. Dialing 911 will bring help in the form of a ride.

I always bring my cane, too. I walk really poorly with it, but in an emergency, can use it to limp to safety.

My scooter died on me once in NYC. Luckily, I was able to coast to my corner; left the scooter, and with the cane crept along building walls until I got to my apt building.

Comment

WHAT IF MY HAT BLOWS OFF MY HEAD AGAIN

THAT HAPPENED TO ME WHEN ON MY WAY ALONE RIDING DOWN THE STREET A COUPLE MONTHS AGO...
          I COULDN'T REACH IT...IT WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD ...
          SO OLD DUMB NUMB ME HAD TO TRY AND RETRIEVE MY NEW BALL CAP...I HAD TO TAKE OR SLIP BOTH MY FEET OFF OF MY WHEELCHAIR PLATFORM...IN ORDER TO BEND WAY OVER TO GET IT OFF THE ROAD...
          BUT THEN I BEING A HELPLESS INVALID WAS NOT ABLE TO GET EITHER FOOT BACK UP ONTO THE PLATFORM

THERE I WAS ALONE NOT ABLE TO MOVE SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET...
          IF IT WAS NOT FOR A STRANGER THAT ASKED ME IF I NEEDED HELP...I'D STILL BE THERE

Comment

I tried that link but it was "broke", try this http://www.wheelchairkamikaze.com/
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
            X