Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada - funding for AFO - weird problem

Hello,

I would appreciate suggestions on how to solve this... where to go. I am not looking for money (it's going to read like that at first)

I have been waiting almost 2 years now for my employer to allow me back to work. I have been able to work barring an accommodation.

I still have benefit coverage for assistive devices.

My stupid foot needs a custom made afo - around 1,500$

Because I have been out of work so long and do not qualify for LTD I am on income support/welfare. I cannot afford to pay for this upfront and wait 3-6 weeks to get a partial reimbursement.

The MS society cannot help. I've used $500 of their money already this year for career counselling. They don't have loaner afo's.

I was just denied 'indigent' health care coverage which would have paid for it up front. They learned I have private coverage through sun life.

The social worker who has been helping me suggested borrowing from friends. No. I've become so isolated, depressed and miserable what friends I do have left I"m sure not asking for handouts. AND even if they did, I would have to declare it as income and not be able to pay rent or buy food for a month. Then when I rec'd the cheque from the insurance, I'd have to declare that too. Double whammy. no credit cards. jewellry sold, rsps cashed in - everything is gone. I could ebay some clothes but can't walk to the post office.

I am in a right pickle.

Every step I take I have to exert every bit of concentration to make sure I don't trip, which is happening all the time now.

My neuro rec a afo last summer, it's taken me this long to get this far in the system.

Ideas welcome. I am so upset I don't feel I can think clearly.

The only thing I can think of is to quit my job. Even if I could go back, I couldn't afford cab fare to get back and forth to work. I am soooo screwed without this.

Re:AFO's

I hope someone has already offered advice, but if not I may have a suggestion for you. I also live in Canada and my husbands work closed its doors leaving us with no benefits. I contacted my local CCAC office and they have been a great help to me. They put as much thru MS society as they can and hooked me up with March of Dimes who helps with buying things as well. You would not believe the financial help that they provide for needed equipment. It is always done in a way that should not affect your welfare. Also ask to see an OT at CCAC and they will come talk to you and recommend anything else you could use to help you. They buy you things you need without you putting money out. I am sure they could help you.
    BTW I wear these AFO's and they work amazingly. I haven't tripped on my toes since!

Comment

I'm sorry. What province do you live in?

Comment

Hi Trestle! You're still trying to return to work? I meant to email you to thank you for that Oreo cookie recipe, they are awesome!

Back to your question, I assume you're still in Yellowknife since you speak of isolation. Please contact Easter Seals, my uncle who had PPMS got a ton of stuff loaned to him (including one of those chair thingies that goes up stairs). He passed away a few years ago from Cancer so I can't ask him how he got hooked up, he lived in BC then moved to Alberta and Easter Seals installed what he needed in both provinces.

Someone suggested the CCAC (Community Care Access Centre), another excellent resource if you have one. Here, it's a "regional" resource (not municipal), includes Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon.

I do hope things improve for you soon, in this rich country it's awful that you have to go through this.

Take care, let us know how you make out.

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
        X