Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless Steel Leg Braces

Hello,

When I walk, my feet land where they may and not where I want them to land. This makes walking very difficult.

My therapist has me wearing stainless steel leg braces that are attached to my shoes. They stabilize my ankles and are very heavy. I walk like Herman Monster with these bad boys. Wearing them uses a lot of my energy, which causes me to rest often. I don't wear them at home, only for exercising.

Anybody else wearing these types of braces or just AFOs? Are AFOs lighter and stabilize the ankles too?

Scope
    Dx PPMS in 2010
    Copaxone since 2010

I used to wear a leg brace on my left leg only as my right was still strong. I do not remember what the brace was called, but it was a one piece, non-flexible, plastic type of material that was very hot and also very uncomfortable. I never did wear an AFO, so I cannot comment on their capabilities. Best of luck to you.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I wear a custom hinged ankle foot orthosis. It is a plastic material. My left ankle is weak, so the hinge is fixed. The right one moves. You can do a Google search to learn more about them.

I did not like them when I got them. They needed several adjustments so they wouldn't rub wrong and hurt. They have taken some time to get used to, but they really do help me walk. I don't understand how, but they also help support my knees. They tend to hyper extend and collapse.

They can get hot to wear. I'm not in the heat too much, so it hasn't been a big problem for me. They recommended wearing long socks. There is also a fabric sleeve you can buy for them.

This might be an option for you. They aren't light as air, but would be a lot lighter than stainless steel! Hope this info helps.

Best wishes,
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I will take this information to my therapist. Hopefully, she will put me into something lighter.

Thanks again,
        Scope
        Dx PPMS since 2010
        Copaxone since 2010

Comment

Leg Braces

Hi
          I couldn't imagine how it must be for you,wearing the type of braces you are.I too wear braces when out of the home in assiting me to with walking and the challenges that brings about.
          My physiotherapist fitted me with what are called DICTUS BAND by Erimed,made in Sweden.They each consist of 2 hooks an ankle strap made of leather which secure to the ankle by Velcro straps.The ankle strap must be worn with socks and lace up shoes.A latex elastic band which is tied to a nylon D ring allows the band to be held in place by the 2 hooks which are secured in place by the shoelace holes which allows the foot to be lifted to assist in walking due to a spring action by the band.

The brace is light weight,not bulky and easily hidden when wearing jeans or trousers.The only metal in the brace is the hooks.With each brace you get 2 replacement hooks and nylon band.
          The braces have given me better mobility and are easily hidden by wearing jeans or long pants ex:trousers.
          During the summer months they are a discomfort due to the heat.
          I hope you find the information ive shared helpful.

All the best
          dx April 2012

Comment

Dictus Band

Hello Safari12,

Thanks for the information on the Dictus Band. I watched two videos demonstrating its easy of use while being discreet. I like that. Also, it can be used inside shoes and when the shoes are removed, you can use them while bare feet.

This type of brace is great for foot drop, but does it control the loose ankles, which causes a foot to land on its side as mine do. I suffer with both issues.

I will talk with my therapist about them.

Thanks again,
            Scope
            Dx PPMS since 2010
            Copaxone since 2010

Comment

To scope dope

You mentioned you are dx'd with PPMS and using COPAXONE.

My NEURO tells me that dmd is not approved nor effective for this type of MS.
              Could you please give me some input. I was on COPAXONE until I was "typed"as PPMS. You help is greatly appreciated.
              Lord put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Comment

Hello Tooliejane,

Thanks for your comment.

Your doctor is correct; there isn't a DMD for PPMS. My doctor told me the same thing.

I use Copaxone for any benefit it may provide. My walking started declining in 2001. In the beginning starting out with Copaxone in 2010, I was using bilateral fore arm crutches. Today three years later, my mobility is either by scooter or wheelchair. Depending on the space. At home, a rollator helps with getting around. Overall there is no improvements for me, and doctor told me yesterday that I am getting worse.

He recommends that I stop using Copaxone and consider Cytoxin for MS with a Baclofen pump for spasms and spastic issues.

I am discussing this option with my wife. If that combination allows me to walk with her again, I'm going to make it happen. We have been together since we were kids and started dating in high school. My job in the grocery store was to push the cart. I want that back. Driving became too dangerous, so it's a memory as of last November.

Copaxone and other treatments work for everyone except those of us that live and play with PPMS.

I hope this is helpful,
                Scope
                Dx PPMS since 2010
                Copaxone since 2010

Comment

I have a similar ankle situation as you, coupled with MS caused foot drop. I was prescribed AFOs. If I recall correctly Rx said something akin to:

bilateral AFOs-short, with dual dorsiflex assist, UCBL

the UCBL means a style of foot/heel wrap around of the AFO material (very supportive to ankles & prevent rollover), the dorsiflex assist are rubber hinges (on inner and outer ankle) that "pop up" my foot and prevent drop/flop, short means the AFO goes to mid calf high. I also have a figure 8 velcro strap that goes around foot/ankle to help hold my heel & foot into the AFO. A wide velcro strap is at top of AFO.

they work GREAT and I have not had any ankle rolling ever in these - it will not allow (including a few times falling on stairs/curbs. They are custom made and lighweight. Had to get them made at the O&P place. My Medicare Adv Plan paid for them.
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

i used to wear the old style metal braces that youmention although mine was made from aircraft alumininium so that it reduced the weight. i was wearing it after an accident severely damaged my leg 35 yrs ago and back then i was the best althernative- we tried AFO's but the options back then were more limited. i continued to use those braces for ao to 12 yrs until my foot was so painful that the best option was amputation but i would have expected that if i were still needing bracing now that i would not still have to wear those old style braces-

you need to see a good orthotist- they are the experts in this kind of stuff and major improvements have been made in recent yrs both in braces and prosthetics- i understand the energy issue and a brace that takes so much energy to use that you don't use it, is counter productive- a good brace is something that you see as a positive and that makes life easier for you

Comment

Update

Hello

I didn't go to therapy last Tuesday do to a MS kind of day. Spoke with my therapist today about my braces as well as those that were suggested.

She claims that she put a lot of thought into the type of braces that are best for me due to my wayward (my word) ankles and spasticity. Furthermore, she doesn't believe that a brace that fits inside my shoes are beneficial because of my diabetes, which is well in control.

So, I disagreed with her reasoning. If the brace is tiring me out, then the spasticity is going to be worse. We parted in disagreement.

We'll see what happens next week.

Scope
                      Dx PPMS in 2010
                      Copaxone since 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X