Rollator Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollator Basics

A rollator is a specialized type of walker that basically has wheels at the bottom of some or all legs. Rollators are a good choice for people that have trouble lifting a walker or need to take frequent rests on a built-in seat. Swiveling front wheels make turning easier and hand brakes help with balance and control on even steep surfaces. Rollators allow for fast movement while conserving energy when compared to a traditional walker.

Both walkers and rollators assist people with walking difficulties, but each has their own distinct advantages:

Walker advantages
    - greater and more stable support
    - generally lighter in weight
    - more portable, folds up
    - helps maintain upper body strength because you are lifting the weight of the walker with each step sequence

Rollator advantages
    - rollator offers greater mobility
    - great comfort
    - less fatigue saving energy and strength
    - normally has more options (cup holders, storage, seat, etc)
    - smoother over ground so easier to use
    - faster movement (zoom, zoom, zoom)

Before you buy
    Please consult your physician or physical therapist about any unique needs you may have. Existing rollator/walker users can often give you pointers or even let you try out their device. Other sites like epinions or Amazon have a lot of user reviews that can be helpful in narrowing down your decision.

A very important factor is how you intend to use the rollator. Some people use their rollator daily both inside and outside the home while others may only use it once or twice annually for the MS Walk or other special occasion.

Check the merchants' return policy and what service after the sale may or may not be available. Mobility or Medical supply stores often offer better advice and selection than your local pharmacy or chain store. Some stores will also help assemble your rollator and help you put it in your vehicle.

If you order online please consider using Amazon.com via the MSWorld link so MSWorld will get a contribution based upon your purchase amount.

Rollator Attributes

Wheels: wheel sizes also vary between models. Smaller wheels typically perform better indoors and/or smoother surfaces. Larger wheels operate fine on smooth surfaces, but also perform well on uneven or rough surfaces. Larger wheels also are more stable, are easier to push, but at an increase in weight.

- Two wheeled hybrid walker/rollator are the most basic type of rollator. The front legs have wheels and the back legs have rubber stoppers or tennis balls on them. This type of rollator is considerably lighter and more portable than the 4-wheeled. The front wheels allow you to roll without physically lifting the front legs. This is often a good selection for inside the home when you need more stability than a cane, but don't want the larger size of the larger rollators

- Three wheeled rollators are smaller and more maneuverability than their four wheeled counterparts. You can save a considerable amount of physical energy but not having to lift a walker with every step. The rollators typically have hand breaks that are lockable and are quite maneuverable with a single wheel in the front. The three wheeled rollators work well if you need assistance for shorter walks that will not require breaks. These can be exceptionally good choices for smaller spaces or tighter turns like an apartment. This model typically lacks a seat is slightly less stable than other options, but remains an excellent choice for many people.

- Four wheeled rollators require less effort to use and are more stable than the three wheeled variants. Front wheels typically swivel to make turning easier. to This normally comes at the expense of portability being heavier to lift, and less compact when in use or transport. These rollators often come with features and accessories like seats, storage, cup holders and even light kits and umbrella holders.

- Combined rollator/transport chair are newer to the market and combine a 4-wheeled rollators that can convert into a transport chair (basic wheelchair). This is often a cheaper option than buying both a rollator and a wheelchair. Generally the same seat is used, but the handles are now behind the user so someone can push them using the handles. Adjustable or removable footrests are used for additional comfort. The frames of these combo units are constructed differently than a standard rollator making them safer for transport. Most standard rollators do not have footrests and being pushed on one violates the manufacturers warranty. There is a nominal weight increase for the combination units.

Brakes: with all these wheels you are going to need a good way to stop. Most rollators come with locking brakes for safety and another form of braking while in use.
    The most common type of brakes are hand brakes similar to those found on an adult bicycle. When the user squeezes (one or two) brake handles it engages a cable and slows the rollator to the point of stopping. These brakes can be partially engaged to provide greater stability on slippery or sloped surfaces. Users with poor hand strength, arthritis or other difficulties may have problems safely bring their rollator to a stop.

Less common forms of rollator brakes use the users own weight (push down) or a reverse braking mechanisms. The single most important aspect is ensuring you can operate your brakes safely.

Handles:
    Your rollator should have different height adjustments to ensure the handles are at the proper height for you. If you are very tall or diminutive you may have a harder time finding just the right one for you. Don't forget the distance between the handles is also important to ensure safe operation or comfortable seating.

Frame:
    Frames are commonly made of steel or aluminum. Aluminum being lighter and steel being the stronger of the two. The frame is the heaviest part of the rollator so this choice may add/subtract 10 lbs to your rollator with all other things being equal.

The frame will also determine how the rollator will collapse for travel, how large a seat the rollator can have. A large seat may sound nice, but will the wider frame fit through doors and obstacles in your home or places you frequent.
    How easy is the rollator to fold for transport? How heavy is it to lift? Will it fit in your vehicle? Can you do this by yourself?

Capacity:
    Your rollator needs to be able to support your weight plus anything you will be carrying on the rollator. Rollators have maximum weight ratings that should not be exceeded to ensure safe operation. It is not uncommon for rollators to have capacities of 500 pounds or more, but these rollators come with heavier frames reducing the portability.

Seat:
    How often and how long will you be using the seat? If at all possible sit in your rollator for 20 minutes before purchasing. Wider seats are more common on rollators with higher capacities, but that doesn't mean it will be comfortable.

Random Notes:
    - You may find support and accessories at your local bicycle shop. I would call the shop and ask to speak to the manager. Then request an appointment where one of their staff members can help you outfit your rollator. You might be surprised at how enthusiastic some bikers are to help you with your mobility needs.
    - If you use a stores electric wheelchairs many times you can leave your rollator at customer service while you speed around the store. You can call ahead and some stores will meet you at your car with their cart for your convenience.
    - I bought my rollator at Sam's Club that is currently raising money to fight Multiple Sclerosis.
    - My 4-wheeled rollator is always in the car. I use a cane inside the home and will graduate to a walker/rollator if that day comes. Our house just isn't setup to have a large rollator zooming around.
    - My next rollator will be a combination rollator/transport chair for days when I am really struggling yet need to get around.
    - Used rollators can often be found on craigslist or other classified ads
    - If you qualify, you may be able to receive mobility devices from a charity such as http://www.mymsaa.org/ or similar program in your country or area.

Wow, thanks Marco for posting this!

My 4 wheel rollator has a pouch underneath the seat which is handy when I need to place my purse or other belonging inside it. I have seen some with attached baskets also.

I have found other uses for the rollator. When I am bringing in groceries from the car, I hang my cloth bags on the handles with placing more on the seat or in the pouch. When I garden, I use it to haul some of my smaller gardening tools around and when I need to rest, I sit. The wheels move easily enough over the lawn and garden paths.

Like you, I think I'll get the combo rollator/transport chair someday.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Review: Hugo Elite 4.0 Rollator

I purchased my Hugh Rollator from Sam's Club.
      The rollator cost roughly $115.00 but can be found online a bit cheaper. I elected to purchase the rollator from Sam's Club since they have a generous return policy and help fund raise for MS causes.

The rollator requires limited "tool-free" assembly that took me roughly 25 minutes to complete. The assembly is a bit more involved than I first believed. If you are not mechanically inclined you may want to invite a friend over to help.

It's a bit more involved than marketing literature may suggest. Consider inviting a friend over to help with the assembly. The store may also help with the assembly for a fee. It took another 3-4 minutes to make height adjustments for my personal use.

The rollator has given me the freedom to be more active and get more out of life. The seat allows me to take frequent breaks conserving precious energy.

Due to the size of the rollator we leave it in the car or garage and do not bring it inside. I use a cane while in the house so a walker of any sort is not generally needed.

PROS
      The large 8 inch wheels make on/off road walking easy. Don't think you are going mud-bogging with it, but it rolls nicely in grass and even trails.

The storage area is nice. When shopping we can place my wife's purse under the seat for safe keeping. It also have zippered compartments and is solid to keep things from falling out the bottom.

The hugo is sturdy which provides good stability, but also adds to the rollator weight. Use 20 lbs as a guide after accessories are added.

CONS
      I really do not have true "CONS" just a few suggestions that may help improve the rollator in the future ure.

- at times, the rollator can be difficult to collapse for transport
      - the rollator does not fold completely square requiring more room than necessary
      - in the folded position it would be great to have a strap securing the rollator from opening while moving it

I would definitely buy this rollator again and look forward to the next version of the rollator. It really has had a positive impact on my life and I am a proud owner.

Comment

This is all interesting but overwhelming. I bought a rollator but returned it because it was too wide and heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions for a little person? Most of them have a capacity of 300 lbs! I don't think I will ever get that big.

Financial assistance would be a help also. Has anyone had any luck with Medicare?

Comment

I have 2 rollators,as we live in a very large home, I have 1 for upstairs & 1 for downstairs & in the yard.Both of mine were purchased at grocery stores,belive it or not!
          Medicare & my insurance paied for both of them.
          I also have an electric scooter that I use to travel around our neighborhood. We live in the country & it's a long distance between homes.
          I've had this MonSter for 13yrs.& I'm now SPMS.I don't walk well w/out help (my Rollator) & use a wheelchair when I'm shopping,at church,or visiting.
          God Bless Owlnona.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
            This is all interesting but overwhelming. I bought a rollator but returned it because it was too wide and heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions for a little person? Most of them have a capacity of 300 lbs! I don't think I will ever get that big.

Financial assistance would be a help also. Has anyone had any luck with Medicare?
            I have a great rollator made by Drive Medical that I got free from the MSAA. It has adjustable height handles with brakes, a seat and an under seat basket. It's an adult rollator but with its adjustments, it's fine for shorter statured people. I'm 4' 10" , 100 lbs. and it worked just fine for me.

The MSAA has a great program that provides numerous helpful items, including cooling vests. Here's the info page: http://mymsaa.org/msaa-help/cooling/

Links to the applications for both cooling and assistance items are on that page.

Comment

Working...
            X