Electric Scooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Scooters

I was evaluated at OT/PT today with balance testing and I failed miserably. They told me I could not walk without my walker anymore too much of a risk for falls and I need to get a scooter.

I have a small wheelchair, but it is not motorized.

My question is, how hard are they to drive? I have never driven one. How hard is it to operate the lift and what is the best lift to get? I have to pay for it out of pocket (the lift).

Thanks.
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

About 4 years ago I started using a 3 wheeled Go Go Scooter by Pride. You drive it by holding handlebars and pressing a little lever with your thumb to go forward or backward. Scooters with 3 wheels are like tricycles, they are easier to turn over if you go up an incline at an angle.

As my MS progressed, getting on and off the scooter in restaurants, etc., finding a place to park it became more of a hassle. I bought a Go Chair, which is more like a small power chair. I just drive up to the table, and stay in the chair. It drives with a joystick on the arm.

Both types are really easy to drive. If there is a mobility supply store near you, they should have them in the show room, and let you try them out.

My lift is a Harmar hoist that fits inside the back of my small SUV. It cost about $1200 installed.

When I was using the 3 wheeled scooter I could use crutches to get to the back of the car, and could load and unload the scooter by myself. Now with the chair, the seat has to be removed (you just lift it off) so that it will fit. I can't do that so my someone has to do it for me.

Comment

Thank you for explaining.
      Tysabri

Comment

power chair

I use both a manual and power chair. I also started out with a 3 wheel scooter but as has been mentioned they can be unstable on inclines. I now use a center wheel drive power chair that is very easy to operate with joystick. Its by quantum. I started out with a trailor hitch mounted carrier which is relatively inexpensive and easy to use. Due to progression of sx's I had to go an accessible van with a ramp. I'm sure you'll research this well before you make a decision. Here's to easier, safer mobility. Dale
        Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

I have a 3 wheeled scooter and it's a cinch to drive. As PP's have mentioned they're not awesome on uneven surfaces but I either avoid those, hold on to DH and walk slowly or have him push me in a wheelchair.

As for the lift, my mom(she also has MS) had one installed in her car and it cost $3000. I got one of those that attaches to a trailer hitch a few years ago. It cost around $1000 but I was always terrified that it would fall off the car.

We finally bit the bullet and bought me a used adapted van last year. It's awesome!
          Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Luggie Scooter Update

I did all my research and finally bought a Luggie. I bought a demo to save money and the battery popped out when it went over a crack in the sidewalk (a crack!) and the scooter reared up on its hind wheels and nearly threw me, veering toward a bunch of people. After about 50 emails, the vendor (nameless, in Seattle) replaced it. The demo didn't have a speed control. The new one arrived two weeks ago and I thought I was in scooter heaven. I'm small and live alone and it was getting harder and harder for me to walk to my car, which is how I get around New York City...
            This scooter could win a design award--it folds up into one piece--no assembly or disassembly required.
            But the other night the new one did the same thing--sudden acceleration and roared off the curb in front of Lincoln Center.
            I've driven a car without an accident for 40 years. I think I know how to steer.
            So I either got two lemons in a row, made some kind of harrowing mistake twice, or this is not what it's cracked up to be.
            I asked for a refund and they're sending me a crate.
            The question is--does anybody else out there have and love a Luggie. I think NY Jen once said she did. I'm curious.
            But what else would work for someone like me--5'1" without a spouse to do the heavy lifting. I need to use the scooter to go places, not in the house. I live in an apartment in a great old building, elevator, doorman, no steps to get outside. So far, so good!

Comment

Do you know how to drive a car? I have found that people with driving experience find it easiest to learn how to use a scooter.

Comment

My mother had a large 3 wheel scooter she used for the last 8 or so years of her life. She had to give up driving about ten years before that.

The company they got from was quite good about training her to use it properly and the controls were quite simple. Handlebars to steer, two buttons and lever (or the other way around, I'm not entirely sure) - all the controls except the ignition were on the handlebars.

A couple things to consider when choosing a scooter are:

In what way do you think you might need it for in the next few years? Do you think you might end up needed to use it everywhere you go?
                • And do you want something that comes with baskets and/or saddlebags (similar to the kinds you see on motorcycles, but specially built for scooters), or at least has the option of later purchasing and attaching such accessories. Same thing with an umbrella/sun shade cover accessory.

• One thing Mom really needed on hers was a cup holder for her always present water cup or bottle. Hers had a built in one.

• Do you want a chair style scooter? Mom's had a full sized, well padded chair, and it was a 3 wheeled contraption. In her case this was necessary for two reasons, one being that she was quite large. Oh, and she also opted for an attachment that held her forearm crutches.

There are other styles of scooters, including small ones that can folded up and loaded into your vehicle, then unfolded and used when you reach your destination.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about lifts as my parents didn't have a vehicle most of the time. Well, they sort did...me and my car! But it could not accommodate her scooter.

Anyway, hope some of this is helpful. I will say that for her, getting the scooter helped her regain some long-lost freedom and independence. I hope that whatever you choose helps you just as much.

Good luck!

Comment

I'm so sorry, Cyclist.

I meant to start my other post by saying how sorry I am to hear that you've progressed to this point. I just got caught up in your question, but it was still rude not to acknowledge how hard this kind of news must be for you.

My sincere apologies and sympathies. It sucks and I very much wish things were otherwise for you. I truly do.

Sending you many big (gentle) Hugs.

Comment

Thank you Wordsgood, and everyone else. I am getting a 3-wheeled scooter that is a travel scooter so it comes apart. I have practice driven it several times in PT on even/uneven surfaces, down inclines etc. Learned how to drive it. I know it is more of a hard surface indoor type of scooter but can be used outdoors on mostly even surfaces.

I won't need a lift as it comes apart easily. My husband came over to my appointment and learned to take it apart and put it back together...he is a surgeon so he is good at taking things apart and putting them back together.

I am now just awaiting my insurance approval. We shall see.
                    Tysabri

Comment

I'm so glad to hear you've found the right scooter. Really hope you're insurance comes through!

Please keep us posted about this.

Comment

Working...
                      X