11 for 9-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 for 9-11

It didn't take 11 years to learn I am thankful I live, work and visit buildings that are under five stories in height until the mock fire alarm in my three story condo. It was then I realized having a way out is more important than how I got in.

If this had been a real fire I might have heeded my neighbor's advice they shut off the elevators when the alarm goes off. I pushed the button and realized it wasn't fact. It worked. But this made me remember those who were disabled and trapped on the upper levels of the Trade Center towers? Those elevators did shut down.

Remember getting out can be more important than getting in.

Hi, Reg

What you need to do is contact your local fire dept. and tell them where you live and that you are disabled and unable to climb stairs.

The FD should have a carrychair that is like a backpack, but is made to carry a person down stairs, or wherever they need to go.

Also, ask your bldg. management if you can be exempted from leaving the building during fire drills.

I live and used to work in NYC and understand your concerns. I used to live on the 16th floor, but am now on the 4th floor (in a different building). During a hurricane here last year, the building shut off its elevator for a few hours, and I realized again how stranded I would be on a high floor if the elevator was out.

Comment

There is always the butt walk down the stairs. Could do that 9 years ago while still working. But I now live on the first floor accessible apt. Only thing is I have to climb the stairs or throw myself into the shrubs, if I have the strength to open the window.

So after 5 minutes of alarm going off, I dial 911 7 tell them I am in my apt & can not get out by myself. So far never had to have them rescue me. But you never now.

Do everything you can to protect yourself then call 911 & tell them what is happening.

KK

Comment

I work in a large building, and it is a trip down 3 flights of stairs, and a long uphill walk around the building if there is a fire alarm. (We get many).
        I told management that I just wasn't leaving any more, unless I smell smoke.

They are ok with that.

Comment

Working...
        X