Getting in and out of bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting in and out of bed

Does anyone have any helpful hints or special tricks or tools the use to get in and out of bed?

I sleep on my side and If I slip to my stomach or back, I am in a heap of trouble. Especially having to go to the bathroom!

When on my side, I usually push myself up on my knees and get out of bed. Been working for me for a while, but as I get weaker, it is defintely harder.

Thanks in advance!

I'll be interested to see replies to this question. Getting in and out of bed is one of the hardest things for me to do.

I just added a short padded rail to my side of the bed. It gives me something to hold on to when I am maneuvering around to get my feet on the floor when getting up.

I haven't found anything that helps with getting into bed, except my husband!

Comment

if the the main issue is moving from your side, back to sitting on the edge of the bed, there are a variety of designs of what they call "bed sticks", available. most of these are fairly simple deign that basically have a base that slips between the mattras and bed base with an upright that extends upwards like a stick - just something you can pull against.

there are also some more substantial designs that extend to the ground if you need light support to get up off the bed.

the basic bed sticks are pretty inexpensive and if you google the term you should find quite a few options but basically- if you can get an in home assessment from an OT at some stage it can be very worthwhile as they are source of this information and are best placed to work out what the best option for you might be

i have used a bed pole, in the past and found it very useful, sadly my issue is now getting in and out of the bed unassisted as i live alone. slide board is not enough so i am waiting for a height adjustable bed. I am on the wait list (this sort of thing is not covered by health insurance here, its either self funded or we try to get it through the disability support agencies) and i have had to sleep in an electric recliner for 4 yrs now- seemed a reasonable compromise as first but as i am in a wheelchair it means always being seated and now developing contractures that make lying down just about impossible not to mention risking pressure sores!

hope the bed stick info helps, there are also things at look like rope ladders that you attach to the bed base and you can use to pull yourself up from lying down-and these too are not expensive

Comment

Can you get to the edge of the bed?
        If so swing your legs down to the floor while pushing your trunk up with your arms.
        techie
        Another pirated saying:
        Half of life is if.
        When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
        Dogs Rule!

Comment

that is what the poles are intended to help by giving you something to pull against- there are also special sheets that are made of smooth surfaces to make it easier for a person to move themselves in bed and if i can find the link for those i will add them- from memory it was something you put over the normal sheet and it covered just the middle aread of the mattress where your hips and trunk would be but not where your feet would be so that you can still "dig in" with your heels to help move

i know what poor bed mobility can be like, you can be fine when seated or out during the day but the moment you get on that mattress at night you feel like a beached whale even if you are not a big person! i used to feel like green peace would be coming around to chuck me back in the ocean!!

Comment

hospital bed

With the hospital bed I can raise my head to a sitting position & slide over to the wheelchair. I only have one useable arm. Sliding is a little difficult at times.

I also use the side rails and put a pillow against it to help me stay on my side.

KK

Comment

getting out of bed

I recently posted an article about the Standers security pole here - you might find it useful near your bed. They and other manufacturers have devices that can be used to get out of bed.

I have a headboard with gaps between the horizontal boards, I usually grab a board or the vertical post and pull myself up using my upper body strength which hasn't been affected by MS.

You can also visit amazon and search in "health" for standers handybar - there are a lot of items from a variety of manufacturers.

I find getting out of a bed without a headboard, or with a headboard that doesn't have easily grabbed components is tough.

A cheaper approach might be going online and buying some inexpensive, strong drawer handles and bolting these to the bedframe and/or headboard assuming your bed has wood components.

Originally posted by ijustcallit View Post
              Does anyone have any helpful hints or special tricks or tools the use to get in and out of bed?

I sleep on my side and If I slip to my stomach or back, I am in a heap of trouble. Especially having to go to the bathroom!

When on my side, I usually push myself up on my knees and get out of bed. Been working for me for a while, but as I get weaker, it is defintely harder.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

A few years ago I purchased a 'Standers Bed Cane' thru amazon

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...%3DUTF-8%26p%3

I am very happy and now dependent on it.
                Easy, not expensive and effective.

Comment

I simply use my cane. I keep it by my bed at night anyway, so its always there.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

This has been an issue for me, lately, too. I have nothing to hold on to, getting in and out of bed. I like the analogy of being a "breached whale."

To the poster who said she sleeps in a recliner--really?!? That is unacceptable. Maybe you can appeal to the MS society and other local charities for help.

I am thinking of getting a "bed cane." I had a pole, but never managed to put the thing up--it was really heavy!

Comment

I don't find sleeping in a recliner unacceptable.

In fact, both my husband an I have done it occasionally because the zero-gravity position is extremely comfortable. It takes all the stress off joints and does not trigger my spasticity at all.

He does it when joint pain from arthritis gets too bad, and I did it after surgery.

Comment

When I fell and broke 5 ribs back in Jan, it was a couple months after I got out of the hospital (also had acute kidney failure) before I could sleep anywhere other than my La-z-boy.

Been there... done that...

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Try a "leg Lifter"

My wife got me a leg lifter which is simply a stiff blue canvas strap with a loop on each end. I hook one loop around my left foot and pull it up onto the bed. It helps me maintain my independence.

Comment

Originally posted by Reg2putt View Post
                            My wife got me a leg lifter which is simply a stiff blue canvas strap with a loop on each end. I hook one loop around my left foot and pull it up onto the bed. It helps me maintain my independence.
                            You wouldn't happen to have a link to the leg lifter you use, do you? My wife is starting to have problems and I need to lift her legs for her.

Thanks

HOMSW

Comment

I use a PT belt that was left at my house. Fold it over & stick foot thru the loop & lift. Cheap if you have one around.

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X