started with cane, not very good at it : (

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

started with cane, not very good at it : (

Hi! Well... two weeks ago after I realized that for 2 months now I have been saying "if my foot is not better soon, I'll get a cane" I finally broke down and got a cane but I'm not very good at it. I got the basics down (however I find I am tensing up all my back, neck and arm muscles) but between juggling keys, purse, cell phone and now adding a cane - not so smooth. Any tips?

I have found that a backpack style purse works better for me when walking with a cane or forearm crutches. Baggallini makes one that I particularly like, called Urban Backpack. It has an exterior zip pocket for keys and cell phone.

For years, a shoulder bag made me feel off-balance. Of course my purse is always too full and too heavy, which does not help.

A wrist strap on the cane will help, too. I used to put rubber bands on the cane handle so that it would grip a little better when I would have to lean it against something.

Comment

Originally posted by promise7 View Post
      Any tips?
      Yes! You can ask your neuro or PCP for a referral to Physical Therapy. The therapist will check to see if your cane is the right height (very important) and style (e.g., wrist strap, arm support, wide base so cane stands up by itself) for you, and give you tips and techniques for using a cane to best advantage (e.g., how to balance and place your weight, how to not tense up, how to manage purse and keys). Even if you've already seen PT, you have ongoing issues that can benefit from further help.

Comment

could you use a backpack? you hands would have one less thing to carry
        Learn from yesterday
        Live for today
        Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Thank you all for you tips. I will be checking out backpack style, I think that really will help. I never thought of a PT helping with that issue, Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
          X