Accessible vehicle assistance program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessible vehicle assistance program?

Is there an ms organization that helps pay for a wheelchair accessible specialty vehicle/van/car? I looked in the sticky assistive device threat but the links were dead.

I googled
    car accessability modification rebates
    and got quite a few hits...

a few years ago when I bought a new subaru, if I made accessible modifications within 6 months, subaru paid for up to 1000.00 of the costs incurred.

[I got hand controls]
    Everyone should plant a few trees they are never going to sit under.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy Dead Petals View Post
      Is there an ms organization that helps pay for a wheelchair accessible specialty vehicle/van/car? I looked in the sticky assistive device thread but the links were dead.
      Check out http://www.msfocus.org
      look under programs & activities, you'll find different things that may help you. Good luck

Toot
      toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
      Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

We have purhased 2 used minivans. The first we found in the newspaper classifieds. The second with a big upgrade in features was a local craigslist (be sure to follow their precautions!!)

The new vehicle assistance is minimal...like a couple thousand on a $50,000 van. From what I undestand veterans have a good option. I don't know of a program, at least in OH, that helps even low-income.

We have a friend who is a car expert (geek) who combs the internet when he needs/wants a vehicle. He just drove 400miles to buy his daughter a used BMW. If you know of such a person ask for their help.

good luck,
        lori

Comment

I know this is an old thread, I just joined the forums here.

An option I used to help get my van was an "Individual Development Account". It's a matching fund savings program. By saving up $2000, it was matched with $2000 in state funds and $2000 in federal funds.

Also Vocational Rehabilitation paid for the wheelchair lift for me and I got an "exception to policy" on my physical disability in home care waiver to pay for the lift to bring the chair up from the garage to the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy Dead Petals View Post
            Is there an ms organization that helps pay for a wheelchair accessible specialty vehicle/van/car? I looked in the sticky assistive device threat but the links were dead.
            Daisy - thanks for drawing attention to this problem. I have asked for assistance to change/help this link. Hopefully, it will be fixed in a timely fashion.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

THANKS TOOT 4 GIVIN A HOOT

Check out http://www.msfocus.org
              look under programs & activities, you'll find different things that may help you. Good luck
              Thanks you for submitting your application for the program Assistive Technology Program submitted on 8/29/2013 3:06:37 PM, we will evaluate it and get back to you. If you need more information about this please contact us at support@msfocus.org.
              Thank you.
              The MSF Support Team

HOPE THEY CAN HELP IN THE ACCESS UNLIMITED
              MUTI-LIFT THING THAT WE NEED
              MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Comment

MSMOBILITYMAN, hope all is rolling well for you! I am 64 on SS and can't find any help here in Texas,I tried to get help for a ramp out my back door to use my rollator (and or power chair). But was denied because I can access my front door.

But my back yard is fenced for my little dogs so it is where I spend most of my time. Going by way of my front door is a true hazard! Down an undeveloped incline, across soft sandy loam through a grove of oak trees!

I have tried for 3 yrs to get a small deck and short ramp built. I even have some of the wood. But my husband is 75 ( in one mo.) and in poor health. I just want to go in the back yard water my plant, watch my two small dogs
                ( I have seen several copperheads ) and sit outside and read.

Right now I use a rollator but am quickly heading for a sit down device of sorts due to weakness and pain. I even contacted the free ramp for handicapped people in my area and was denied.

I have found little or no help in "TEXAS" !
                Sissy

Comment

Hi Sissy - your post put me on a wild internet search, but I came up with something that may help you. It's an organization nationwide that helps those in need called Rebuilding Together http://rebuildingtogether.org/whoweare/

Here is their mission statement: Rebuilding Together believes that everyone deserves to live in a safe and healthy home. Our focus provides critical repairs, accessibility modifications and energy efficient upgrades to low-income homes and community centers at no cost to service recipients.Our impact extends beyond the individuals served to revitalize and stabilize vulnerable neighborhoods and communities across the country.

When you access this, on the right hand side there is a box to click "Finding your local Rebuilding Together" It gives you a map to put in your local zip code - at the bottom of the map.

Hope this may be of help to you and others!
                  I typed in my zip and it gave me something that was 100 miles away! Hopefully your local organization is closer to you. Regardless, it's worth a try.
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

When I worked for a health insurance company, our case manager nurses often called the local Area Agency on Aging (AAA - but not the automobile group) for help for our inssureds. They often knew about local resources such as Boy Scouts or local social clubs who would do things like build a ramp. Though I suppose technically the AAA is for those 65 and older, they would often help out those of our insureds who were disabled, under 65, and on Medicare.

Since it is a federal program, every city/county/area has a AAA, though sometimes it goes under a slightly different name.

Comment

OH, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Seasha I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond but my PC has been on the fritz and I am just now finding this. It is 6:30 on Friday now but if my PC keeps going I will start searching tonight and start calling
                      on Monday!

onlyairfare: thank you to for your help. I did contact the AAA
                      but all they could give me was $300. towards house cleaning help and "piddle pads" LOL... they were the ones who said no because I could get out my front door!
                      Sissy

Comment

HERE'S A PORTABLE RAMP

HI SISSY...

CHECK OUT THIS ON EBAY...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-BRIEFCASE-...ht_3474wt_1006

I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING ON MY APPLICATION FOR HELP YET...GOOD LUCK-BE CAREFUL AND GOD BLESS...
                        MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Comment

Working...
                        X