WHEN TO GET HELP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHEN TO GET HELP?

I was just wondering when did you get your canes or assisted devises. Did your neuro. suggest it or did you just think It would be helpful yourself.

I have bad balance inssues and dizziness with bad heavy painful leg. I stumble alot and fall once in awhile nothing bad yet.

Should I just get one or wait for doc. to request for me to.
    DIAGNOSED=2012
    ISSUES LONG BEFORE
    REBIF 1 YEAR

I chose to do PT

I chose to do one session of Physical Therapy to have them assist in that decision and that way it was covered by my insurance also. That is my coverage, yours may be different.

I did not need further PT. I had not been falling, yet.

PT can teach you how to be safe with falling. They may also be able to teach you exercises to prevent falling. Working the core (belly) muscles can help with that.

Good luck and keep us informed.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I knew it was time to buy a cane when I experienced numerous falls at work. I was hesitant to admit I needed a cane and also didn't want people asking questions and making it obvious that things were different. I thought I would be embarrassed by all the attention.....

In hindsight, I realized that I was more embarrassed by all the falls! I didn't talk with my doctor, but simply went to a drug store and bought one there.

Like kelm10, I did work with a PT as well. Both were good choices! Now I also have a rollator walker and use when needed. Good luck with your decision!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi mercadies25,

I've been thinking about the cane idea lately also.

The past week has been a constant reminder to "think before movement," especially walking. Going slowly is the ticket.

I'm trying to go as long as possible ( using stretching & exercise) before that first step of being dependent on any device.

Probably a mix of vanity & pride, endurance and knowing my own body.

Let us know how life changes with a cane. Oh... and what type you get too!

Jer

Comment

my neuro suggested the AFO brace for the foot drop that was causing my falls. I did the cane myself at house of canes .com. Make you you measure the right length.

Comment

Usually it is pride or vanity that keeps us from getting a needed device--others can see it before we do.
            Getting PT or OT involved as they know what is available and what will be of the best use for you.
            I guess I have been more proactive that I will ask the doctor for the needed script before they say anything.

Comment

Early assistance

If I had fallen once in the early years of declining mobility that would have been one too many. I began using a cane when I found myself "wall walking." If you are worried about somebody noticing you use a cane. I can assure you they will notice you a lot more if you fall down. I now use a power wheelchair all the time. And yes, I have fallen a few times in the last few years when I need to transfer. However, I never fell when I was still able to walk even with difficulty because I took proactive measures.

Comment

so a good thing about having a cane -- I got one a little while ago and have found that although I sometimes still fall, people are a LOOOOOOT more sympathetic if they see someone with a cane fall versus someone who does not

for me it sort of boiled down to how others would see me as being the reason I didn't have a cane. I just didn't want to appear outside how I felt inside, but I finally folded and got one, and it turns out that people are a lot better about it than I would have thought.

So, I would just say what others already have -- if you need one get one, no need to wait for the doc to say so

Comment

I just decided that I needed one, now I have a waardrobe of them. I buy alot form Fashionabole canes.com, but CVS has them also. I am still vain, so I buy fancy canes. Not only are others more understanding, I get lots of compliments on my flowered canes.

One of them got loose and I cannot use it to walk, but my grandson loves it. I have used my cane since he was born and now he takes my broken one, which we have adjusted to small height, and gets mine and says, "Walk gamma, walk" He is so cute. When he was really little, he was fasdcinated by it, now he uses it.
                  Too funny.

The one I bought at CVS is fater and I like it better and it was cheaper. I like the foldable canes when I go on vacation cause then I can take an extra one in my suitcase. I also like the adjustabloe ones. Even though my shoes are all flats, some are higher than others and the sdjustalbe makes it nice.

JudySz

Comment

I have only been diagnosed since April of this year, but walking has gotten hard for me. My neuro did not suggest my cane, I bought it myself at the pharmacy I use. It is so much better than falling somewhere because my legs just go out from under me. I still have issues using it with others around, but I would rather walk with a cane than break a leg! Even with the cane, after only short distances, my legs start hurting so bad I have to force myself to go on. I am thinking of using a wheel chair for things such as trips to the zoo with the kids or grocery shopping with my husband, but I haven't quite crossed that line yet! I don't want to give up my freedom! My neuro DOES know about the cane, I had to speak with her about some other issues. She told me she was glad I was pro-active enough to make the right decisions! Short answer, if you think you need it, get one and then explain to your neuro why you did.
                    Best of luck to you!

Comment

I decided about two years ago that I needed a cane for balance, but I wasn't going to use a medical cane.

I found a carver that does animal heads, and if you send him a photograph, he customizes it to look exactly like the photo.

I had him do one of our dog. We had to put her down a few months ago, so it is even more importent to me. It gets a lot of comments from strangers also.

Get what works best for you, and don't think twice about it.

Comment

Sad to say, I've been there done that.

Dec06/jan07? I took a hard fall and tore a shoulder. MY diabetes & BP were both out of control., I barely hobbled into a new fam doc. He worked with me close to get my insulin routine better, BP under control & shoulder surgery.

As I was getting ready to leave his exam room, he told me to use a walker, I told him I had a cane but seldom used it, (like when I felt I needed it) He YELLED at me USE IT!

One day I saw solid bullet-proof glass cane, it FIT me to a 'T' personality wise, so I bought it and call it Crystal.

I WAS very stubborn about mobility aids. Now I have a walker, rollator, canes, crutches, manual chair and power chair. I have had to learn to adapt even more in recent years. I still walk some/ limited and I have been wearing AFOs since 2007. They all TOOLS if we allow our selves to make good use of them to live a easier, better life.

BOTTOM LINE
                        If your mind even thinks the word cane, its probably because you NEED one, even if you do not realize it.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Tripping over invisible rocks...

Good topic M! I've only fallen a couple of times this year, but my Doc told me to get a cane. I seldom use it unless I'm going to be on my feet longer than usual.

Funny story: At work is where I trip (not fall) the most. It was embarrassing at first so I tried to make light of it by saying to anyone around that there was a big invisible rock right "there" and to watch for it. Now my co-workers say the same thing when they trip. It helped a lot to make light of it all. Life's a trip.

Comment

ASSITED DEVISES

GET YOUR MD TO ORDER A WALKER TO USE WHEN YOU ARE FEELING LIKE YOU NEED IT.DO NOT WAIT UNTILL YOU FALL AND HURT YOUR SELF. I FELL AND FRACTURE MY RT LEG MY LEFT LEG WAS THE WEAK ONE
                            Originally posted by mercadies25 View Post
                            I was just wondering when did you get your canes or assisted devises. Did your neuro. suggest it or did you just think It would be helpful yourself.

I have bad balance inssues and dizziness with bad heavy painful leg. I stumble alot and fall once in awhile nothing bad yet.

Should I just get one or wait for doc. to request for me to.

Comment

My PCP ordered me to go get a cane when I was having a bad flare last year.

I was also doing OT/PT, and they helped me properly adjust the cane and learn how to use it correctly. By the time I got that training however, I didn't need the cane anymore. I am glad that I have it, though, because I'm sure that I am going to need it again in the future.

It is a cool flowered fold-up one I got on Amazon.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X