Does anyone have a front door intercom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a front door intercom?

Does anyone have an intercom for their front door that works well?
    When the doorbell rings, I can't get there before the person gives up and leaves, so I just don't go.
    I've found a few online, but they have a portable unit you have to carry around with you.
    When I worked, we had a "door phone" that was connected to our phone system.
    If someone rang the bell, you could dial an extension number and talk to them through a speaker by the bell.
    I know that was a commercial system, and would only work with large phone systems.
    I want one that calls my cell phone, and lets me speak to the person through a speaker.
    Any ideas?

I'm currently looking for something like that

I've been looking on Amazon mainly. Read about all the problems with putting the system on an electrical outlet. There has to be something out there for us. I am bed bound these days. If my aide is here, she can take care of it but when I am alone, well I don't have to tell you!

I have a wireless doorbell next to my bath tub. I have seizures & can't speak after one has happened. I can at least get in touch with my aide.

If you find something, please let me know.

KK

Comment

Google search

I understand your problem, I'm usually in the kitchen or on the back porch when the bell rings and it takes me a while to get to the door in my wheel chair.

The good news for me is that I avoid stores as much as possible and the UPS and FedEx guys know I'm slow to answer the door.

In my case about the only item that needs a signature is wine, which I find it cheaper and a lot easier to buy on-line. In CT wine and beer stores are privately owned and the aisles are very tight.

UPS uses an automated system that calls a day in advance if a signature is required.

A google search for

wireless door intercom

found a couple of systems,

Here's one that works on AA batteries, no wires or plugs required. I think you could easily carry the inside unit with you, or have several around the house or you could set it up to call a phone.

Liftmaster FDI Front Door Wireless Doorbell Intercom

note that you need a couple of units,

I have no experience with it, and think the price could easily exceed $100.

Have you thought about putting a sign over the door bell saying something like
      Please be patient
      I use a wheel chair

Please let us know what you find.

Good luck,

G

Comment

Yep - we've got a nice intercom

Our intercom is tied into our phone system and was easy to set up. Not only does it allow me to use the phone to page any other phone in the house, it also allows us to answer the door thru the phone. When the doorbell is rung, it actually rings the phone. I LOVE this system!
        The phone system is a Panasonic model KX-TGA820 with extensions. It is a regular wireless house phone system. We added to that an Oracle FrontDoor Wireless Doorbell and Intercom Kit with Telephone Interface:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...Item/IEL-OFDT/

Hope this works for you!
        My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

Originally posted by kellygrn View Post
          I've been looking on Amazon mainly. Read about all the problems with putting the system on an electrical outlet. There has to be something out there for us. I am bed bound these days. If my aide is here, she can take care of it but when I am alone, well I don't have to tell you!

I have a wireless doorbell next to my bath tub. I have seizures & can't speak after one has happened. I can at least get in touch with my aide.

KK
          Kelly - I found something - see my posting under KUREMS. Hope it helps you

Comment

Thanks, Kurems!

The system you mentioned is no longer available, but Smarthome has another one call DoorBell Fon that looks close to the same thing.

I'm looking into it now.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
              The system you mentioned is no longer available, but Smarthome has another one call DoorBell Fon that looks close to the same thing.

I'm looking into it now.

Thanks!
              Good luck and let me know how it works! FYI with ours, I typically forward the house phone to my cell phone when we are away from home, like out of town. I like the fact that "door bell" calls are not forwarded. So if you get the system, let me know what features it has. Thanks!

Comment

KK
                Kellygrn - check this out
                Our intercom is tied into our phone system and was easy to set up. Not only does it allow me to use the phone to page any other phone in the house, it also allows us to answer the door thru the phone. When the doorbell is rung, it actually rings the phone. I LOVE this system!
                The phone system is a Panasonic model KX-TGA820 with extensions. It is a regular wireless house phone system. We added to that an Oracle FrontDoor Wireless Doorbell and Intercom Kit with Telephone Interface:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...Item/IEL-OFDT/

I understand that this particular model (ours) is no longer available but smarthomeusa now has a later model.

Comment

KK
                  Just wanted to know if you ever found something or looked at the phone system pointed out.

Comment

So far...

I now have 2 battery operated door bells. They help a lot but no intercom yet. Still working on getting my speech machine so people can understand what I say when I talk. Start my eval for that Tuesday. YEAH!!!

Comment

Doorbell and Intercom products can be found (wired or wireless) at http://www.gadgetshack.com/wiin.html

Hope this helps.
                      Medicated for Your Protection

Comment

intercom for the front door from the phone

I use the Channel Vision intercom that works over all of my phones. When someone rings the front doorbell, I hear it in a unique ring... ring ring so i know someone is at the door. I pick up the phone and it connects me to the front door intercom. this was the best thing I could add to my house when mobility is limited and security is really important in this world. I also added cameras for my television so I can see who is ringing the doorbell. It was inexpensive for the installation and the product looks fantastic compared to the other options my installer showed me. I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                        X