Hip Flexion Assist Device (HFAD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hip Flexion Assist Device (HFAD)

The Hip Flexion Assist Device (HFAD) is intended for individuals with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) who are experiencing hip flexor weakness. The Hip Flexion Assist Device is designed to improve gait and consists of a comfortable waist band and two dynamic tension bands that attach to the shoe.

The Hip Flexion Assist Device may be beneficial for individuals with MS who:

• Have hip flexor, knee flexor, or ankle dorsiflexor weakness

• Fatigue when walking, resulting in limited endurance

• Drag the weaker leg with compensatory movements (such as hip hiking, circumduction of the effected leg, or vaulting off of the contralateral foot)

• Have tried to use an AFO to compensate for foot drop, but still struggle to walk due to hip and knee flexor weakness

To learn more about HFAD, please search "HFAD" on YouTube, or search "BTM Rehabilitation" with your favorite search engine.

Interesting...years ago I used something called a foot flexor to dorsiflex the ankle. I didn't like the AFOs and the foot flexor was quite effective.

I found my hip flexion problems, which became pretty significant on one side were due to spasticity, and not weakness. The baclofen pump completely eliminated my hip flexion issues as it allow ROM, and most of my ankle problems. Main ankle problem turned out to be a spastic contracture, not specifically foot drop.

What I don't get is how it helps the knee...it doesn't look like it allows much flexion in the knee joint. Could you explain? Almost looks like it invokes a high steppage gait in the place of a circumduction gait.

Comment

Thanks so much for posting this item! This is exactly the problem I am experiencing, and it is wonderful to have a new device to look at. If I'm not able to improve my hip flexors, I now have another possible answer. I will take the info with me to my pt appointment on Tuesday to see if she has heard of this device.

Comment

Working...
      X