Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can assistance devices be harmful?

Hi,

Alright, I wrote about half before I realized that I needed to explain a bit, heh.

I finished my Masters of Science (also ironically titled MS on my degree) in August 2011. Before my graduation ceremony I had a job doing research in Portugal -- it was sort of poor scheduling imho because the ceremony was in December, so I had to miss it.

When I came out to Portugal I got a cane figuring that I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and just being so far from home made me a little nervous.

So now, here I am 8 months later, and I really don't think that I can manage too much without the cane. I never needed one before (7 years since diagnosed), and I have not had any recent exacerbations or really worsening symptoms. Is it possible that I have developed some sort of dependence on the cane and now cannot operate the same without one?

I sort of feel that I might have been better off without ever having gotten a cane (for a while longer anyways). Has this same sort of thing happened to anyone else?

It's not really that I feel unsafe without one -- I don't use it around the house for example, but I do have a habit of attacking the walls at home. However, now whenever I am out of the house I feel that I need it.

You are probably right though in that I have a tendency to put off changes, silly stubborn attitude of mine. Thanks, I just wasn't sure if this was a relatively common thing to develop dependence or not.

Comment

Hi joe and welcome! I'm going to put a different spin on your question. Psychologically speaking, you could feel that you "need" a device when in reality you are perfectly fine without it. It's unlikely that has happened given your explanation of moving about your home though.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10
        I have seen members here say they are against getting a cane, or wheelchair, etc. because they don't want to take that step in their disease process
        That is very likely the situation now that you have put it in words for me.

As far as the psychological effects, I do not think that is necessarily the case. I think you are right that one can develop mental dependence on <something>, and I actually sort of hope that is the case though because that can be overcome (reversing something would be a refreshing change of pace). My fear (or reality maybe) is that I do really need the cane though.

Thanks for the input though

Comment

Joe,
          If you are using the walls at home, you probably do have a balance problem. Better to be safe with your cane then fall and break a wrist etc.

Sorry that you are in this situation. I know how you feel. When I first started using mine I told my husband: "I hate being dependant on this cane."
          The punster replied: At least you're not co-caine dependant.

Wish you the best,
          lori

Comment

From cane to scooter &amp; walker

the fact is that my disease has progressed. I believe it would have progressed with/without assistive devices. It's true, that I didn't realize I was dependent upon them until I was.

Do what you can within safety limits to go without devices. Acquire and use them as you need to continue to live life. They told me "if you need a s cane, get one". Get any device you think you need to go on.

Don't let not having the right help device stop you. Sure I wish I could walk around the block..I can't..but I can go on my scooter
            [I]Tellnhelen
            Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

timely

I originally read this and did not respond as I didn't feel I could add anything useful...well I am now 3 weeks into the worst flare (for me), severe vertigo and then dizziness that just won't go all the way away!!!

1st week I had to use the transport chair just to get around, go down stairs on my butt because I didn't want to fall, holding walls, counters, whatever.

2nd week we got a walker to use and that was helpful to sit down but also just for stability.

I have not felt comfortable with driving in 3 weeks, until yesterday...did OK, just OK, but I got by going to a dr appt. Drove to work today, 1st time, 26 miles on surface and fwy.

3rd week (now), DH drove me to work Mon-Tue, used the walker, that was hard mentally...I can walk short distance around my house where I can reach out for something every step or so. Drove in today, OK but not great, used the walker, but tried to do a few trips around the office without it and was very uncomfortable, so went back to it...

I was wondering the same thing as the OP, am I just getting too dependent on it?? I feel like I'm walking awful, swaying, touching walls, etc. but people keep telling me I'm doing great, walking so much better....don't know if they are just saying that to make me feel better.

Thanks for posting this.
              Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
              Ampyra 10mg 2xday
              Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Originally posted by lori View Post
                When I first started using mine I told my husband: "I hate being dependant on this cane."
                The punster replied: At least you're not co-caine dependant.
                That really made me laugh at my computer lori, and I was at work so got some odd looks.

tellnhellen, I think that you are correct, but from the psychological stand point I am probably still in some sort of denial because I would rather NOT get what I don't absolutely have to

and thanks jbell -- it is good to know that I am not the only one thinking that (which is a bit silly really since I am thinking it, chances are that others do too). I hope that things get back to normal for you.

Comment

I hear people beat themselves up of this. It is like they feel it their fault them are disabled. People say if I had never got this scooter, cane or walker i wouldn't need it now.

I have been up and down so many times I have a full collection of assistance devices. Some of which I use and some just sits around waiting for me or a friend needs it. I have been in a wheelchair and was able to learn to walk again. It is on loan right now. Last year I started using a walker. I needed it as I was having a flare. I am starting to get to were I don't need it as much. It depends on how far and what terrain I'm walking. At this time I'm not using it in the house. I still use it in the yard.

The way I see it, if you are more comfortable with using it than not, you most likely need it. I think the key is PT and OT. If you are doing PT and OT and you are doing the best you can, then use whatever makes it easier for you.

Comment

I admit that I've wondered about this myself.

With the cane (which I started to "lean on" more and more over time), people pointed out that the way I got "worse" after using it was just that I had been in denial about how badly I was doing without it. And that kind of makes sense, when I can think rationally. It doesn't make me much more willing to use the wheelchair occasionally, but at least I can recognize that it's probably not the cane's fault that I'm less able to walk without it.

But I've *really* been wondering whether my glasses are the reason my double vision hasn't cured itself. The other two times I had double vision, I struggled for a month or so, closing one eye or the other if I needed to see something clearly. When this round cropped up, I went to the optometrist and got a prescription for glasses with a prism, so that I could see just one of everything, because it was worth the cost of a pair of glasses to have that option, even for a month.

But it's now more than a year later, and I still have double vision. And since I'm not diagnosed, and the neurologist insists there's nothing wrong with me that should cause the problem, I wonder if maybe having the glasses means I'm not doing whatever work it was that made my vision go back to normal the other times.

On the other hand, I keep wearing the glasses because otherwise I see two nice, clear, overlapping images of the world. Also, if I try to manage without the glasses, I get much worse headaches.

But boy would I like to not need the glasses!
                    Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X