Titanium vs aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titanium vs aluminum

I had a mobility company come out for my wheelchair recently and from previous research, I was ready to ask for a titanium wheelchair for the strength and durability. The advisor told me the new aluminum wheelchairs are made stronger with stronger welds and are even lighter than the titanium. I have to have the partially powered wheels, so he suggested a specific brand for me. My question is, do any of you have experience with aluminum vs titanium. I know the old aluminum wheelchairs were a lot heavier and shaped differently so the welds didn't hold as strong, but I just want to make sure I'm getting a good wheelchair as 10% is still a big amount to pay out of pocket. Hope this made sense. I'm tired and all over the place right now.
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Flyingleo

I just happened to complete the process of getting myself a lightweight wheelchair. Looked into both Titanium (made by Tilite) and the new aluminum chairs (made by Sunrise Medical in Ca). The chair I finally bought is called a Quickie Q7 made by Sunrise Medical and is comparible in both strength and weight as the Titanium chair. The Q7 chair uses 7000 series aircraft aluminum fabricated with a heat treating process that optimizes the strenght to weight ratio.

My chair is currently in manufacturer using the input from the wheelchair clinic I went to,making sure it would be sized properly for me. Time will tell whether I made the right choice. If u google both these chair designs u can get a good feedback from users.

Good luck

Lee

Comment

remember the stated/printed weight for wheelchairs (regardless of style & brand) is a "stripped down" version (i.e. the basic frame w/no legs, etc). Weight can really add up -or be lessened- by your choice of wheels, legs, etc

I rarely use my arms and am getting ready to choose lighter wheels by an aftermarket maker. I also skip my antitips when possible.

FYI- Sunrise does not make the Quickie, just is a seller/distributer (but a very good one). Quickie makes the Q7; I only say this as it will matter if you ever need to call a DME comp and tell them what you have (make & model)
      Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

My manual Driver Viper is falling apart on me!!! i hate to replace it but my 'wheelie bars', you know the ones that keep you from tipping backwards, broke off

The armrests are all but disinegrated. Plus numerous others things falling off.
        Thing is my DH wants me to get an ultralight. He believes the less bulk will help me. (plus i suspect he thinks they're cooler looking).

anyway, mine was bought for me by Workman's Comp and my orthopedic did all the paper work. it is quite small and at just the right height of preschoolers, which is what i was teaching then. retired/ disabled now

Now, I'd like a new one, but have NO IDEA what things mean, what to look for. my DH is very active. He's run with me in my wc but i think it's going to rattle apart.
        We used to camp, i miss going on nature trails, 'walks' etc.

I also have a Driver Quickie motorized (hand me down). It's fine at conventions, etc.

But I would LOVE the freedom of a manual that i could lift out of the car (upper body strength is pretty good) when i wanted to go to mall or such.

In desperate need of any suggestions.
        I went on the Quickie site from what ya'll said and fell in love with the new QXi ultralight. tho the price is a little daunting!
        oh, what does semi-pneumatic mean? easier to push?, my hands are numb but usable. Though sometimes they cramp up.
        would it be a good match for me or does anyone suggest others?

thanks so much for your help. i can always depend on
        good answers here.

take care and God bless ya!
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Working...
        X