looking for a power chair... help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking for a power chair that can get me around the house, as well as outside. My challenge is that we live in the country in Florida and my manual wheelchair just sinks in the sand. I've been now having problems with my hands and don't have the strength to roll myself around on concrete let alone outside. So I'm looking for a power chair that will have an optional lift so I can still cook in the kitchen etc, and will be able to take me through the sugar sand we have here.

Any suggestions? Was looking at the jazzy and the Hover round not sure if anyone has any suggestions as to models that may be more all terrain. I am less than 200 lbs so don't need one of the heavier bigger chairs, but those seem to handle the terrain better?
    I know that my ins will only cover a portion and this choice is for the next 5 years since I'm new to this I'd love some expert advice!

Thanks so much!

Can't help you with the sand issue - none of that where I live. I have an Invacare TDX-SP and it handles snow, slush and ice quite well, although I don't go out when it's too bad out.

Before I got my chair I had an assessment by an occupational therapist (had to, to get funding) and she worked with someone from the company I was buying it from. Between them they made sure I got the chair I needed - right model, right size, right cushion, right back, right footrests, right joystick, right tires - there's a lot to choose!

Maybe there's a supplier near you that could help you find one that would work for the conditions you'll be using it in...

Comment

Thanks. Just starting the process... I'm sure there will be some assistance provided by the wheelchair people. One can hope. Glad to hear there are ones that work well with ice & snow. We often travel to the mtns for snow trips and having one that works well in all conditions.

Comment

"I'm sure there will be some assistance provided by the wheelchair people. One can hope."

Don't count too much on hope because finding a good equipment supplier that is willing and able to work with you through the whole process is crucial. If you are in southern NJ I can recommend a supplier/ medical equipment company.

Comment

Here are some tips

There are quite alot of different models of power chairs, with all different kind of attributes. Its important to first understand your needs and have an appropriate budget.

http://www.allmobilityscooters.com

I'm also unsure about how to deal with sand, but some scooters are built for off-roading and more difficult terrain.
          I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
          X