Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions...

My dh is wanting to get me one of those medic alert buttons. He fears I may fall while he is at work, he works nights, and that I wont be able to get up on my own. I feel kind of iffy about that... just because Im only 41 and that lady in those commercials keep ringing in my mind 'help me, Ive fallen and cant get up'... ugh! Have I really reached that point already~

Also, Im needing to get like a scooter or something like that. I cant walk long distances anymore and theres not always a scooter available at the stores. I have a friend who was just denied a scooter by the company. He says because he can walk more than 50ft. Said he'd been thru a physical and everything. Can they really do that? Deny you.. I thought you could get one with a doctor rx. Im confused now. Any ideas??

Age has nothing to do with it.

They are used to get police out when someone is trying to break in. If there is a fire they will call & you can carry on trying to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsSissy70 View Post
      My dh is wanting to get me one of those medic alert buttons. He fears I may fall while he is at work, he works nights, and that I wont be able to get up on my own. I feel kind of iffy about that... just because Im only 41 and that lady in those commercials keep ringing in my mind 'help me, Ive fallen and cant get up'... ugh! Have I really reached that point already~

Also, Im needing to get like a scooter or something like that. I cant walk long distances anymore and theres not always a scooter available at the stores. I have a friend who was just denied a scooter by the company. He says because he can walk more than 50ft. Said he'd been thru a physical and everything. Can they really do that? Deny you.. I thought you could get one with a doctor rx. Im confused now. Any ideas??
      My husband works a hour away and is constantly asking if I have my cell phone with me. Ha! Even though there are safety handles in the shower, I told him how I almost fell. He asked if I had my cell phone. Ah, no, I was in the shower!
      Anyway, lately, I have been thinking of getting a medic alert button thing. He is far away and I am alone. And, with my bad balance, I do scare myself sometimes.
      I had to laugh, though, 'cause all I think about is the lady on the floor..."help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" I'm 48 and I hate to admit it, but I have reached that point. My husband would support it, I'm sure.

I'm glad you brought this up.

Comment

yes, you do need a dr's script and if you're on medicare a PT eval in order to get a scooter. i don't know how it works if you're on your own ins. medicare is picky and certain guidlines have to br followed.

Comment

I have aides that come by 4 hours a day, 7 day a week. I don't take showers unless someone is in the house. I added battery powered doorbells at my front door & on the wall next to the bath tub. Each has a different ring. If I fall &/or need help, someone will come running!

Do any of you still cook on the stove? My arms are weak so it should be out for me but I like to eat. LOL!

KK

Comment

We all conjure up images of that lady who's fallen and can't get up... in all seriousness, a phone isn't always within reach, numbers have to be dialed (remembered too... aaahhh!) and circumstances may not allow you to dial someone. If it gives your dh a feeling of comfort, it just may do that for you once you get used to it.

On the scooter topic, some Chapters of the MS Society have an equipment loan program that could get you by until you can get one of your own. Also, Easter Seals and March of Dimes may be able to help, at least with a loaner. I hope you can get your scooter without too much beurocracy.

The wife of a man I used to work with has MS and needed a scooter. Our insurance paid the full $5,000 but on the condition that they instal a ramp in their van to get the scooter into it with. They didn't own a van and had to buy a junker and put a ramp into it. It cost less than the cost of the scooter but how daft is that rule?
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

If your insurance turns you down for a scooter, try E-bay or Craigslist. I bought a Pride Go-Go on E-bay for $150 a few years ago (retail is $1500). It was bought it for an elderly parent who seldom used it, then passed away. They just wanted to get it out of the house. The wheels still had the little rubber nubby things on them, it had been used so little.

You see a lot of them on Craigslist in our area that are in good condition. Just be aware that you may have to replace the batteries, which can be expensive. Sometimes they've been sitting unused and uncharged for a long time.

Comment

No harm in a medic alert gadget.

Nana would not hear of the idea, until she fell in the backyard hanging out the washing and could not get up.

Middle of the day, neighbours at work, no one heard her shouting for help.

We found her two hours after it happened, poor old duck. She was happy to wear one, and use it, after that.

Comment

I had one when I lived w/ my DD & was alone for long times. It did come in very useful one day when I fell.
                  I also have a scooter my neuro RX'ed it & my insurance covered it. But you also need some way to transport the scooter to wherever you want to use it. I had a minivan & we had a lift installed.
                  Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Planning to get Alert button

I moving to my own apartment this spring. I'm excited and terrified. Iam going to get one of those services for my own safety. Although I do all I can think of to be safe, you never know when something may happen. Unfortunately the odds go up when you have MS.

Regarding the scooter. I've been using one for the last 10 years as my ability to walk any distance has decreased. I now use a walker for short distances (church) but longer distances require a wheelchair (someone has to push) or my scooter. If insurance or Medicare (part b) are not helpful, check with local MS Chapter. They sometimes can help with expenses. Do your homework before buying on Craigslist...you need to get right siaze for your height and weight...also consider if someone will need to lift it manually
                    [I]Tellnhelen
                    Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Working...
                    X