Wheelchair car issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair car issues

I have a quickie wheelchair that now lives at my office, but I really would use it out but I can no longer get it in and out of my car. i don't know how other people deal with this. I sue a regular hospital grade walker at home and sometimes a rollator out and about.

I am to the point that I use the wheel chair more and more and I am so unequipped to use it, I jsut don't know how to do things, like transfer to chair/toilet etc. Just a bit frustrating. (I am 48 and was dx when I was 30).

You just do whatever it takes.

I to, am 48 and dxd when I was 30. As time went on I have had a hard time staying on my feet for a long period. I use a walker that has a seat. I just do whatever it takes to do things around the house. It gets even harder in the winter when it snows. Every day is a challenge. I just do whatever it takes.

Comment

Folding wheelchair

The wheelchair I used most often was a Quickie ultra lite. Weighs 21 lb when everything was attached. 11 when the arms, legs & seating were taken off. The wheels also came off. Didn't take them off because they were oily.

It fit in the back seat of the car. It is still in use today 20 years later.

KK

Comment

Wheelchair to car

Like Stukawife, I am using my wheelchair just about all the time now. But I can't lift it into my car. When I want to go somewhere I call neighbors and ask if they can help me. When I can't find someone to help me, I wheel over to my car and wait for someone - anyone - who looks like he or she can lift the chair into the car. In effect, I depend on the "kindness of strangers". I hate being so needy.

I did buy a new lighterweight wheelchair a couple of years ago, but I still can't get it in the car by myself.

Comment

You could really use some advice from an occupational or physical therapist for your transfers. They gave me and my husband help with proper techniques to avoid injury.

It is a testament to your strength that you are still working. I hope you have good insurance because a power wheelchair really does make life easier. Of course that means a ramp or lift van. We are now on our second used ramped minivan, (new ones are very expensive) found the latest one on craigslist...be careful, first one in newspaper classified

I pray someone comes through with a treatment that makes all this accomodating unnecessary.

I wish you the best,
          lori

Comment

Working...
          X