handicap showers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

handicap showers

I'm trying to find information on getting an ADA approved shower for myself and my mom. I have relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis and she's having problems with falling. I can still walk but showering has become a problem with me as I can't tolerate warm or hot water. On top of everything else my shower has glass doors and I'm afraid if I or my mom falls in the shower it could be a bad deal. I've put in a shower chair but have no way to stand up once I sit down in the chair. I know a grab bar would be useful, but there's no way I could install one with my glass doors and shower walls.

Hi! I know showering is a real problum.
    Maybe try & ask the MS Society if they can help? I know they do a lot.
    Keep us posted God Bless Nona judy

Comment

I had voc rehab come in and drew up a plan for my shower and redo of the bathroom -- my shower allows the w/c to go over the raise on the side so that I can slide board over to the shower chair -- I have grab bars on the three sides of the shower and it is big enough that a extra person can be in to help with the shower (5ft across by 3 foot)

talk to others and find out what it available and plan for worse case -- because it is nice if you need it and we have no idea of how much our disease will progress.

Comment

there are some grab bars that are held on by very strong suction cups, they are supposed to manage upto 100kg from memory and are really meant for travelling, they may be something to check out in the short term

Comment

Suction Cup Grab Bars, change from the Glass Doors to a Curtain and a Hand Held Shower Sprayer, one that turns off. I have a Shower Chair that swivels and is height adjustable, Hand Held and two Suction Grab Bars. The Grab Bars are not Long Term, do have to remove them, clean and reattach about every two weeks.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
          X