Dirt on the wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirt on the wheels

What is the best way to keep from tracking dirt in from a scooter and a 4 wheeled walker. I have tried rugs, but they have been baned by PT. I can't seem to keep up with it.

It would be great to have a simple answer.
    But I have only found to avoid the mud and just go where I have rock and sidewalks.

The mud gets stuck in the treads of my wheels and then as it dries you have dirt all over the house. It is as bad as athletic sneakers I just can not get it off or take them off as I am stuck in the chair 24/7 so short of having a separate chair for outside it is what I do.

I will be interested if anyone else has a suggestion.

Comment

Rolling across an Outdoor Turf type of rug might work since it has lots of very stiff, short strands. Long enough for a couple of revolutions of the wheels may work. But, as said, just avoid the mud.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

A large turf-type mat outside sounds like a good idea for the scooter. Have you thought about using a long-handled scrub brush to brush off the wheels of the walker (or maybe even the scooter) right before or right after coming into the house? The dirt can be swept off the porch later, and anything inside that needs to be vacuumed up will be contained near the door.

Your PT has banned rugs inside, but what about floor mats? (You've seen them in large size in commercial buildings. There are small versions for in-home use. I have one inside both my front and back doors.) They're flatter than rugs and easier to roll over. And they're heavier than throw rugs so don't move as easily.

The mats do have to be vacuumed regularly to work effectively to catch dirt before it gets tracked through the house. A disadvantage is that they can't just be tossed into the washing machine. They have to be shampooed like carpets or soaped up and hosed off outside, then left to dry. That's hard to do during the winter when the weather's bad, but having several mats that can be rotated can help with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Milhous View Post
          It would be great to have a simple answer.
          But I have only found to avoid the mud and just go where I have rock and sidewalks.

The mud gets stuck in the treads of my wheels and then as it dries you have dirt all over the house. It is as bad as athletic sneakers I just can not get it off or take them off as I am stuck in the chair 24/7 so short of having a separate chair for outside it is what I do.

I will be interested if anyone else has a suggestion.
          http://www.sportaid.com/sportaid-whe...re-covers.html

http://www.newdisability.com/wheelchairslippers.htm

You roll right into them, so a 24/7 WC user doesn't have to get out of the chair to put them on. You can go where you want outside and just put these on as you come in.

I haven't looked, since I am also a WC user, but there may be something similar to fit walker and scooter wheels.

Comment

they look great and such a simple thing
            thanks

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. I can't avoid dirt and mud, because I can't afford to have side walk put in my yard. On top of that I am an outdoorsy girl and you all wouldn't believe the places I go on with my walker or scooter. I think I'll get a brush and mats. I was thinking about a jug of water on the porch to rinse my wheels with, too. Thank you all again.

Comment

i live in australia so the brands would not be any use, but i have been able to buy what they called a swish mop made by sabco- it has a long broom type handle with a swivel head that has a small flat oblong plate with velcro on it. then there are microfibre pads that attach- you just wet them in water and hand wring, attach to the head then wipe up the marks

for the first time in years i no longer have muddy or dusty tyre marks all over my unit. even if sabco is not known there i am sure there is something similar- its much easier than an ordinary mop ( i cannot manage to wringe those out or carry a bucket of water) but this is great

Comment

The Tire Covers for a Chair sound great. But, the Slippers from newdisability are pretty expensive, $60. The Sportaid Covers are only $29.
                  Bill
                  Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Originally posted by wkikta View Post
                    The Tire Covers for a Chair sound great. But, the Slippers from newdisability are pretty expensive, $60. The Sportaid Covers are only $29.
                    Different styles, different qualities. It is one of those cases of getting what you pay for. Both do what they say, but the Slippers definitely are superior.

The Slippers are an artificial suede and lined with a material that greatly reduces slippage while using them. They can cover the wheels only or the wheels and handrims, which is nice in the winter, when you pick up road salt and Snow-Melt. Kind to your hands, while still providing a good grip...and they keep dirt off the floors.

The Sportaid ones are basically terry cloth with elastic. They serve the function of keeping dirt off the floors and preventing tire smudges. They can be a bit irritating, at least to me, to the hands and if you're going to be moving around a lot, they tend to slip on the tires. They are good if your main concern is keeping dirt off the floor, but they aren't as user friendly, so to speak, as the Slippers are.

Really, either can be made easily enough by anyone moderately handy with a sewing machine for less than the $29.00. If you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine, these could be made for any wheel in any kind of fabric that works for you, fairly inexpensively.

Comment

Working...
                    X