Got AFOs & Thinking of Trying for a WalkAide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got AFOs & Thinking of Trying for a WalkAide

Ok, so now I'm the proud new owner of a pair of AFOs. Just got them yesterday and am practicing for small periods of time. My PT says to wear them for an hour at a time and to make notes of any discomfort for my follow-up with the place that made them.

I thought, until this afternoon, that the only discomfort was from a place on the outside of my left foot wear it seemed to hurt from either the AFO or the shoe being a bit too small. Later, after a L-O-N-G nap, I noticed that my right ankle was bothering me. Wondering now if I may be walking funny or re-learning to walk properly...or if it is a problem with the AFO.

Also, they gave me information on getting a WalkAide. I know my insurance won't cover that after just paying for the AFOs. However, I might be able to go thru OVR; will have to wait and see. Would be nice to have a WalkAide for summer days or so that I can wear whatever shoes I would like at work.

Any comments or advice on either: making AFOs comfortable (or for finding a way to buy proper shoes w/out paying a fortune; my insurance only covers the shoes I saw if you are diabetic ), or pros/cons of using a WalkAide?

You mentioned OVR, so perhaps you live in Pennsylvania like me.
    I have had experience with OVR. They have been very helpful in paying for assistive devices. I suggest you contact your local OVR office.
    You might also want to Google the pa assistive technology foundation. This organization provides low interest loans for assistive devices. Their rules are very flexible. You might want to check out their website.

Good Luck!

Alan

Comment

I am on my fourth AFO in 5 years. They are all very uncomfortable. I must wear a wide shoe which makes it very difficult to buy shoes. Right now, I can only wear one pair of sneakers and they don't look very nice with nice clothes. The Walkaid did not work for me as it made my walking very "jerky" and I was more unsteady. Sorry for all the negative comments but this all stinks.

Comment

I have used an AFO for about five years. I don't remember the brand but it is European and its generally not been uncomfortable. The bracket that comes from the foot goes to the side and then to the shin. I use sneakers mostly.

I tried a BioNess device and did not find it that helpful especially since there are other weaknesses in my leg besides my lower/ankle area.

The AFO is helpful to me.
        Steve
        sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

SHERP

I HATED ALL MY AFO'S NOW I AM LUCKY I DON'T NEEED ONE GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL AFO WEARERS

Comment

Originally posted by alanpgh View Post
            You mentioned OVR, so perhaps you live in Pennsylvania like me.
            I have had experience with OVR. They have been very helpful in paying for assistive devices. I suggest you contact your local OVR office.
            You might also want to Google the pa assistive technology foundation. This organization provides low interest loans for assistive devices. Their rules are very flexible. You might want to check out their website.

Good Luck!

Alan
            Hey, thanks Alan. Yes, I'm in central Pa. I'm awaiting a call for a mobility eval. through OVR right now, but am wondering if I'll be able to continue to work. I do think I'll google the site you mentioned. I probably already have it saved under "favorites" from all my searches and the info. NMSS sent to me.

I actually do pretty well with my AFOs so far. Yeah, they require larger shoes, but they really do help with the foot drop. Too bad they don't help out with the weakness/heaviness in my legs I've been getting.

Ruled out the walkaide already, since my insurance has already paid for the AFOs. What I really need is a new house with one-level living and a power chair; not exactly doable at the moment. Lots to think about and pray about.

Comment

I have had a walkaide for several years

I like my walkaide. The Bioness is slimmer but it has 2 or 3 parts and I knew I'd lose the control you hold in your hand. So I bought the bulkier walkaide.

It is great for me. (It does not help every leg problem which is why they test it on you first.) Like most devices, it does not fit every need you have. For example, I crawl around on my farm to pick veggies. I never wear it when I am walking to and from the fields or to work in my greenhouses as I could wreck it by falling. I use a scooter to get to and from such places. When we are going out and I am on sidewalks or solid surfaces I wear it often. I can walk much further and do not get as fatigued.

Really, we need a different device for each situation! Anyway, I did pay upfront but, after a year, the state of CT overruled Blue Cross/Shield of CT and ordered them to pay me for it. Wow. I did not know the state would do that. Neuroscience did all the legal work at no charge.

Linda
              "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Working...
              X