Hand controls & DMV test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand controls & DMV test

Well, this morning I had my road test with hand controls. I started this whole "project" back in April. [B]I PASSED [B]

Wisconsin requires you to get a doctor to complete a medical form to start. Take the DMV written test. Then be assessed & take driving lessons with a occupational therapist/driving instructor. After 4 lessons she approved having the equipment put into my car. getting an appointment for Road test took time. I had to cancel my first time (Oct)because I had the flu Seemed like today was never going to come.

And I'm now good till May, 2018

Toot
    toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
    Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Congrats, Toot! I am what we used to call a "wuss" (or something similar ). I got certified to drive my van w/the hand controls and promptly decided that I hated it. I really just want my little Triumph Spitfire back, but the driving gods don't understand the whole choke and stick shift thing when your legs don't work anymore.

Have fun!
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Jazzgirl

funny you should bring up a Triumph Spitfire. When I first met my husband, long before we married, he had a bright red Spitfire. Infact I have a picture of it here in our office.

We had lots of fun with it till we crashed it after a night of dancing & drinking. We were at his best friend's wedding. Late on the way home, we went off the expressway down a hill hitting a fence. We were lucky, no other cars involved and John only had a cut on his forehead. It was long before all these drunk driving laws, so they just took us to the hospital to check out the cut---No tickets

John had the car fixed and then sold it while it looked good. Now as "older" adults we often wish we had the car. I really love to drive so I'm happy I passed the test. Of course now that winter is around the corner I probably wouldn't be doing much driving

Sorry you don't like driving your van.

Thanks for bringing the happy thoughts back

Toot
      toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

Hi Toot
        I am looking at getting an adapted car but here in Ireland the regulations are more of a grey area. You do have to tell your insurance company but the rest of the stuff you did seems to be up to the individual

I think this is crazy cause it should be something that you do all the things you did. But to be honest if I don't have to do all that right or wrong I don't think I will

Do you find the hand controls good
        Diagnosed 10 years.
        Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

NickyOz

I love the idea that I can drive. And I enjoy the hand controls T have. They are easy for me to use & easy for me to "lock" for someone else to use the car.

I don't think I need to tell the insurance people, at least I didn't yet.

I'd want some training if there are no real rules if Ireland.

Good luck, sorry it took so much time to respond, haven't been on line for a while

Toot
          toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

Hi Toot

I got the controls put in and as I said needed no tests. So I took my self out driving as there is no one even slightly close to me that can offer lessons even if I wanted them. Today is my third day driving and I love them. I find it real easy to use them. The only thing I find a bit difficult is getting the indicator on when using the hand controls. Is this a common pronlem

Still can't believe how lax Irelans is about lawa regarding hand controls. No regulations here at all. Crazy but to be perfectly honest it worked in my favour

Nicky
            Diagnosed 10 years.
            Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

Hi NickyOZ

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Haven't been on site for while. glad you like using the hand controls. sometimes I too find it hard to turn on the blinkers.

I see lots of drivers that don't use blinkers ever We just know we need to use them and feel bad when we don't.

Did you have to have someone special put the controls in car?

Toot
              toot

DX 1986 currently on TY

Comment

I got a proper company to put the controls in but I think anybody could have put them in as there are no guidelines or regulations in this country about them. It is unbelievablr. Obviously I was delighted as it was so easy to get it done, get behind the wheel and sttart driving. Lucky for me I took to it straight away but it is amazing that there are no regulations about hand controls here like there are in your country
                Diagnosed 10 years.
                Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

I live in North Carolina and there are no laws regarding it that I can find, I called DMV and spoke to 2 NC state policemen and they all said they do not know of anything relating to it. One of the cops said he stopped a guy a while back that had no legs so he figured he had no choice but to use hand controls.

I am getting a new truck and the dealer is having the hand controls installed by a local company that supplies them. There really isn't much to them pull for brakes and push for gas and you can still use the pedals also.
                  Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Licensed Renewed

I was so paranoid when I went to the DMV for renewal. I was so afraid they would take my license and make me take the test all over again. I have been driving with hand controls for well over 8 years, but I still was afraid they were going to make me retest.

Well, I went into the DMV pushing, my walker, and they could clearly see I have leg problems. I just acted real friendly with the lady doing the renewal and she asked no questions and renewed me as she would anyone else! Guess I am good for another 5 years!

This ahs had me worried since the last time I got a renewal.

Comment

Hand controls

Hi Toot, I live in Michigan and have to get my license renewed every year. I have had my hand controls for 11 years now. Nothing to it. I used to drive semi so I got me a full size van. Its a pain to get a license here in MI.

You have to have your doctor fill out a paper. Mail it to the state and then they set you up with the city to go and take a written test, eye test, road test. Make sure you can bring a licensed driver with you. (In case you fail you have to forfeit your license on the spot.) My test have been 50 miles away. Oh and you have to make the appointment they give you. Did I mention every year.

I lived in AZ and took my test there and every body got there license til they were 65. No matter what your age was. Every state is different.. By the way I drive in my wheel chair.
                      Have fun with your hand controls. You can do it.
                      Tas

Comment

Working...
                      X