Auto mfg reimbursements programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto mfg reimbursements programs

I'm in the process of buying a new truck with hand controls and came across this site listing those Auto manufacturers that have reimbursement programs for adaptive driving devices.

http://www.auto-handcontrols.com/automotive_mfg.htm
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

It's not just hand controls that they pay for. Honda sent me $1,000 when I bought a new Acura SUV and had a scooter lift installed in it.

Comment

Advice on handicapped vehicles

We are in the market to purchase a modified vehicle. My husband uses a scooter most of the time and no longer drives. A van might be too much for us. I was wondering whether anyone has advice about buying an SUV and having a lift and transfer seat added. It seems it might be more economical than buying a van. Would also like people's thoughts about leasing vs buying or used vs new.

Comment

A Braun Entervan is a mini-van with a lowered floor, very popular with people who need a handicap van. Most are Chrysler vans.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Next Vehicle

I currently drive a 2005 F150 quad cab. I have put 133,xxx miles on it. I have a tonneau cover for the back. This works good to throw a manual wheel chair in by myself. I am too weak in the knees to assist in loading a heavier scooter. I put my walker in the back seat. This set up works pretty good for my current condition, but I may re-think things next time I need a vehicle. I am thinking of a mini van with a hoist lift to put a scooter in the back for me. This would also leave a space for my walker.

Our other vehicle is a 2004 Explorer. Of the 110,000 miles, I put about 80,000 of those miles. One thing I do not like abot the Explore vs. my pick up is the amount of room for my big feet. Since I do not use my feet often, I must find a place to put them that does not interfere with braking and acceleration. The F150 has twice as much room. I do not know where I will be on the room inside of a mini van.

Comment

Originally posted by patiolady View Post
            We are in the market to purchase a modified vehicle. My husband uses a scooter most of the time and no longer drives. A van might be too much for us. I was wondering whether anyone has advice about buying an SUV and having a lift and transfer seat added. It seems it might be more economical than buying a van. Would also like people's thoughts about leasing vs buying or used vs new.
            I used to work for an accessability company in NC, and you need to check the clearance issues (height and width of the opening) with an SUV and installing a lift that puts the scooter inside the SUV, and the tounge weight for an outside lift - always err on the thought that you may need a heavier power wheel chair later. Also with the tranfer seats, you have to check with the manufacture of the seat to see if the doors and seats are compatable with the transfer seats. So if you have an SUV in mind, call the manufacturer of the transfer seats (or dealer) and check first before you buy. Even some vans, with the stow n go seating have issues with some lifts and transfer seats, so check before you buy on any of those.

Comment

Working...
            X