favorite rollator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

favorite rollator?

I need a mobility aid for balance and fatigue (I can only walk about 200 feet without needing to rest because my legs feel like jelly). Unfortunately, I have pretty severe lupus arthritis in my wrists, so, canes are out (I even have a hard time with the controls on the electric scooters in the grocery store).

Rollators look like they would be a good fit for now- there still will be some issues with my wrists, but at least there will be distribution between my hands. I'm considering getting one that converts to a transfer chair as well, but I'm not sure if they are worth it.

If it matters, I'm six feet tall, and about 220 pounds. I know when I shopped for strollers for my children, I had an awful time finding anything tall enough!

Any thoughts? Good/bad reviews?
    Rachel

39 with systemic lupus, celiac disease, and possible MS

I've got the Drive Duet rollator which converts to a transport chair. It's a heavier rollator, with 8 inch wheels.

I use it all the time, and we use it as a transport chair occasionally. It works well, and has come in really handy.

Comment

I have a Drive Medical in an electric metallic blue.

I would not have purchased that brand on my own, but as I was getting it free from MSAA, I figured anything they sent would be fine by me.

I must say however, that I am quite happy with it. Its quality is better than what I had expected from what I saw on Google research sessions. The handles have a sort of ergonomic fit, there's a seat with a vinyl bag below. There's a padded bar that serves as a backrest when using the seat and it folds neatly to go into a trunk or back seat.

Here's the rollator:
      http://www.spinlife.com/Drive-Medica...4#.TrtH1UOa9GU

Here's the MSAA page to apply for one:
      http://www.msassociation.org/programs/equipment/

They work on the honor system as far as income ( they could ask for proof of income, but the rep I spoke to said they rarely ask), but they do require proof you have MS. I sent a scan of the box top of my Copaxone w/the rx label. I assume they have some sort of bulk deal with their suppliers and usually stock the same things, but I can't say that if you apply you'd get the same one.

On a side note, I know you didn't ask about them, but this would be a good time of year to apply for their cooling vest program as well, if you're interested.

http://www.msassociation.org/programs/cooling/

Comment

Nova Zoom rollator. The one I have just bought is the 4220 (but you may want to look at the 4222 or 4224). I just ordered one from xsmedical. The price is quite good and the rollator is very adjustable also. Seems heavy duty and was comfortable at the med place I was at. Went there getting info on electric chairs/scooters and checked out the rollators... lol

Debbie

Comment

Differerence between a rollator and a walker?

What is the diffence between a rollator and a walker. I have a walker with a seat and an electric scooter. Is there something else that I don't know about? Please post your comments and explanations. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by pocoapoco View Post
            What is the diffence between a rollator and a walker. I have a walker with a seat and an electric scooter. Is there something else that I don't know about? Please post your comments and explanations. Thanks!
            A rollator has either 4 or 3 wheels (depending on design), has handles rather than holding onto the frame and brakes. The wheels tend to be larger than those on walkers and often rotate 360 degrees, like a shopping cart, making them far more maneuverable than walkers.

Like walkers, they can come with seats,baskets and in rigid and folding frames. They tend to be more MS friendly than a walker since you don't have to lift it with each step. Since they are so maneuverable and don't have to be lifted or struggled with in tight spots, they're less fatiguing. You wouldn't think your walker is tiring, but use a rollator once and see if you see a difference.

Take a look at the link I posted earlier for examples of rollators.

Here are walkers of varying design:
            http://www.spinlife.com/critpath/mat...?categoryID=75

Comment

Working...
            X