Who has advice on bath stools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has advice on bath stools?

I recently had foot surgery and have been only able to take a bath with my foot on a stool outside the tub. I have now been cleared to take a shower which sounds so nice. The problem is that I don't have a walk-in shower in either of my bathrooms. I have an older home (1970's) and have a tub/shower combo. I don't really have safety handles or anything to hold on to while standing in the shower. I can only stand on my heel for another 3 weeks. I can't bear any weight. I am a little frightened about the shower because I don't want to hurt my newly repaired foot.

So I thought about getting one of those tub stool things. I could sit on it and take a shower and now worry about my foot. When I am done, I can turn off the shower, dry off, and then get safely out of the tub.

When I told my husband about my brainstorm, he told me that these things would most likely damage our tubs and voted no to any assistance device. They are fiberglass-not porcelein. He said I should just continue with the tub bathing. I don't want to damage my tubs because I don't want to pay for another one.

So does anyone have something similar to this. Did it wreck your tub? Any advice? I only weight 130 pounds?

lydialou

PS As both of us age, I realize we need a walk-in shower but that is not helping me now.

We have a bath chair for my Dad. It has big rubber caps on the legs, kind of like the rubber tips on crutches. Hasn't hurt our tub. I didn't do the shopping for it, but I just can't imagine a product being sold for bathtub use that will hurt the tub. Fiberglass tubs are not unusual.

Comment

I've been using a bath chair for several years now. It has rubber feet, too, and has done absolutely no damage to our fiberglass tub.

Maybe your husband could visit a home medical equipment store and talk to the staff there about bath chairs and tub damage? That might set his mind at rest.

Comment

Puleese!

Send him to walgreens or walmart to buy you a bath stool. They are not very expensive and will not harm your tub. They can easily be moved out of the way if he doesn't want it in there when he showers.
        Good Luck!

Comment

I have two. One fairly large one with back rest, that is removed, and a small one with a swivel seat that I got for trips. Neither one will ever damage a plastic/fiberglass tub or shower. The only way a chair could damage a tub is if there was grit in the tub, if you clean it there is none.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Yea! Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about getting my hubby to talk to someone at one of those home health kind of stores. That sounds like a winner to me. It would put his mind at ease, I am sure.

Y'all are the best! That is why I asked on this forum. I knew that someone had already traveled the path and could tell me what to do.

lydialou

Comment

The chair that's used for tub/shower is called a tub transfer bench. It is long and safely has 2 legs outside the tub and 2 inside. You sit on the outer part, turn so you facing the faucet and slide.. You lift your feet over the tub side. The benches come with or without backs and side bar. I also suggest a grab bar for when you're standing.

Lastly, when you use seats, it's easier to use a hand held shower hose for cleaning.
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

Working...
              X