hand controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hand controls

How long did it take to learn to use hand controls? I had my first lesson today and I was not at all pleased with how I did. My instructor didn't really say anything but he didn't really contradict me when I told my husband that I did really bad. Is there hope for me? I didn't do that bad on my eval but today sure didn't show it. And just some FYI on me - I am 54 and have been driving since I was 18. I was dx with MS in 2002 but it didn't really affect my driving comfort till now, 2011.
    skeptic

va

Don't despair, skeptic. They do take time to get used to for plenty of people.

I don't mind the hand controls, but I hate the little ball that we have to use to steer the vehicle (I have a conversion van).
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Just like it can take some practice to drive the Scooters in the Store, a car/van can be a long learning process. As long as you are getting better, just keep trying. Once you are good it can be quite an accomplishment, you feel great.

The Spinner Knob should flip down into the Wheel and not be a problem. They used to be quite common on the 'Cool Cars' until they were Outlawed due to the entanglement hazard of them catching on clothing.
      Bill
      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the encouraging words - I felt truly miserable after my first session, now I have some hope.
        skeptic

va

Comment

it'll be okay.

I got hand controls two weeks ago. The dealer is a quadraplegic and reassured me about the learning curve (which for me has been very shallow). The controls I have operate by push for brake, pull down toward the floor for accelerate. I've been driving for forty years, so the footwork is pretty ingrained. I'm having to think a little about the new movement with hand controls, but I'm sure it will become second nature. Hang in there, it'll be okay.

Comment

Just like 'Normal' driving is second nature, the hand controls will become like that. You may still have to think more, but that is a good thing since too many people don't think enough when they drive. The cause of most problems while driving.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

So happy with hand controls

I love them, it gave me my "freedom" back. My instructor was very nice. She talked alot about I was doing. Only needed 4 lessons, then had equipment put in my car. I'm still practicing, will take my road test with DMV Oct 19th.

I'm 58 and have driving since 18 also. I'm using the push/pull controls. What does your instructor have?

Wisconsin required me to take the written test before I could even start--that was a nerve crazy event, but I passed. I'm feeling good about the road test

Just relax and take as many lessons as you feel you need, you'll be so happy when you have your wheels back.

Toot
              toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
              Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

When my neuro & husband first suggested hand controls, I resisted. I like the feeling of feeling "normal" when I was driving and also was scared to try them. A few months later I gave in and contacted a local rehab center that offered hand control driving lessons. My instructor was very nice and patient & picked me up at home so I could drive in familiar surroundings. I think I took about 4 lessons & then she completed paperwork so I could get my license and not have to take a driving test. I've now been driving for several years with hand controls and they are now second nature to me. It took a month or so before I got truly comfortable with them. Don't give up hope - you'll get used to them soon!
                ~ Becky

Comment

Hand Controls

I was dx in 1994 at age 30 and I have been driving with hand controls since 1997. I love them and they were simple easy to learn. Stick with it and you will be fine.

Comment

Hand Controls

When I got my hand controls, after a learning time, I found them freeing. I never realized how hard my legs and feet were working for me to keep my independence. I also have a 'pedal block' so you can't accidentally hit the pedals. It's removable for when family members drive.

The only issue I have found is our hospital/doctors valet parking attendants are not allowed to park vehicles with hand controls due to liability reasons. They usually offer alternatives to us.
                    The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Comment

Working...
                    X