What do you Use???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you Use???

I have been using a cane, not always because of leg weakness but almost always because of instability. I tend to walk sideways or mis-step often. I had 3 months of physical therapy to help with walking without assistive aids, and while it helped a lot with leg strength, it didn't help with the balance issues.

So my question, the cane is great when I am only headed to one side, but sometimes I get off balance on both sides and go wobble wobble down the path. Does anyone else have this experience? If you do, what walking aid do you use? I have thought about getting those hiking polls but don't know if they would do the trick or not.
    Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

I use a rolling walker, which does a good job of keeping me on the "straight and narrow" but isn't much good on rough terrain.

Another option would be Forearm Crutches (Canadian Crutches)...short metal poles with hand grips plus straps that go around the forearms. I know of several MSers who use those successfully.

Comment

early on, i went from a cane to a rollator, it had a seat so i could sit and rest when needed. it was a great help! good luck
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Rollator Salvation

I've faced the same dilemma over the past month and a half and because of both the asymettry, balance issues, vertigo and legs giving out after short distances finally understood why people have rollators! I have a collapsible cane that I was using more and more, found forearm crutches very tiring and then hard to shed, and the need for a seat more and more compelling. My doctor agreed that a rollator could be a good idea. Went to try some out and felt as if I had reached nirvana. I keep it in the car and use it to extend the distance I can go. The cane collapses and fits in the little underseat storage pouch. The folding and unfolding is a little unwieldy but it only took a couple of days before I figured out which way to collapse it (because it's not free-standing when folded) and how to shove it into the back of the car. I'm only 5'1" and the thing weighs 16 lbs, which doesn't sound like much but can be a lot to lift if the car is high, which mine is. Also no one to help me, which is a bummer. I found it important to buy one that was sturdy enough to go over different terrains (sidewalk, grass, maybe even some gravel), and that could be adjusted both for distance from seat to ground and handlebars to seat. The one I bought is a Nova 20 Zoom and I would recommend it highly except for its weight. Lighter ones don't have big enough wheels to use reliably outdoors but are good in the house if you need that support indoors. Hope this helps. Of course if you've read my earlier posts you'll see I was asking the exact same questions as you a few weeks back.
        I found it so so helpful to see people on this site who presented their use of different devices as tools that made it possible for them to do the things they want to do; I was mired in a sense of how impossible things were and a kind of dread of needing more support than I ever had. Now I'm just grateful, and doing PT in the hope that I can slowly shed layers. Good luck with your decisions.

Comment

Thanks

I think my biggest problem is admitting to myself that I need the additional help. lol I go grocery shopping and pushing the cart, I get so dizzy that sometimes I run into the displays and make more of a mess than my kids. haha I really don't want to give up the independance of walking, but I'm realizing if I don't make it easier on myself somehow, I won't be doing it long because I'll fall and really hurt myself. It sucks that I'm only 32 and having to figure out ways to walk more than 300 feet without stumbling.
          Time is but a name we give to the passing moments of life, it is these moments that hold all the meaning.

Comment

Rolling Walker - Nexus

I use a rolling walker - I found one several years ago - a Nexus - that is incredible - easily folds up, very light wgt. Tried to buy a replacement. Unfortunately, it no longer sells it in the US. It is made in Canada. If you can get your hands on one - it is worth it.

Comment

I'm in agreement with the others who posted. A rollator is great for someone who has balance issues. I have had mine for just over 4 years and it was such a relief to me that I didn't care what anyone thought.

Also, when it comes to grocery store shopping, those store scooters can be a real life-saver. You just have to get over the initial feeling of being self-conscious. They enable you to shop for a longer period of time (less fatiguing than hanging onto a cart), and you don't get so dizzy trying to navigate and look at the aisles at the same time.

Mine has a basket under the seat (very helpful), but I often find that I bump my foot on the wheels and I've had to use black tape to secure the brake lines to the handles. They used to get caught on anything and everything. I did see an ad for one that curves inward (like it almost wraps around you). That would be a GREAT one, in my opinion.

I'm "upgrading" to a powerchair (hopefully).

Comment

I use a Rollator. I just got a new one,but only around the house. My neuro will only let me use a wheelchair when going out. I fall ALOT! God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

As an occupational therapist and a person with MS, I truly understand your situation.
                  I too suggest a rolling walker --properly sized and with proper training from a physical therapist.

Also, consider the shoes you use. I had to change my shoe style so I could "feel" the ground better. Big difference.

Think about the time of day you need to go walking. Fatigue is an issue that can make a difference in your walking. Think about the ground and distance also.

I'm the type that when walking, if I turn my head to talk to someone or look in a store window, I will lose my balance. Issues of balance can be addressed by therapists- ideally trained in vestibular function. They may help the situation through various exercises specific for that and give you tips for safety.

Lastly, scooters are life savers for me. Either I use my own or ones that are available in stores. I started using them in my late 30's and was very self conscious about it.. But then I realized that it allows me to do so much more, well, nothing else mattered.

Good luck
                  Susan Occupational Therapy Forum
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X