Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stair Glides

Hi,
    Am looking to get a stair glide to enable me to get downstairs - any input on makes/models, pros/cons, usability is appreciated. We currently live in a 2 story and plan to move to a single level but not soon enough so it makes sense to invest in one till we are able to move.

thanks.

I have no specific recommendation, but I have seen some of the newer ones that can go around corners in landings. I say get it, why live in only half of your house.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Possible to get used equipment...

I used Silvercross.com to find a company near me, that sold used stair lifts that were installed substantially cheaper than new. They could only put in straight chairs. Could only use new for a curved unit to address a landing, which by me started at 8-10K. Good luck.

Comment

i have never been a big fan of the national ms society. they always seemed to me to be a schill for big pharma. BUT I NOW EAT MY WORDS.

i had a contractor give me an estimate for a stair glide for my house. he suggested i call the ms society for a grant. i called and went round and round and jumped through hoops BUT in the end THEY PAID FOR THE WHOLE THING (thousands $$$.) how great is that.

thank you ms society.

i got a custom curved PRIDE stairglide. wow. wish i had done it years ago.

Comment

thanks for the input.

We have a straight flight of stairs and then another 3 stairs to come up to our room (split level). Thinking a stair glide for the flight of stairs and maybe a ramp for the other 3 (?)

Comment

We have a Bruno stairlift to go from the main level to the basement. It is a long stair with a turn then three more steps. The stairlift just goes down the long stair run.
            I've been going up the three steps, but that's getting impossible. A curved stairlift is very expensive, more than double the original cost, so I've been trying to figure out a way around that. A ramp goes too far out into the room.

A salesperson suggested the possibility of a second stairlift for just the 3 steps. She said a used one would only be about $2,000. You just change from one chair to the other on the landing.

I have 4 steps from the garage into the house, and just had a used stairlift installed there. It's made by Harmar, and isn't as sturdy as the Bruno.

Comment

Hey, bluegiraffe, I am in the exact same situation. I also live in a split level home.

When I emailed friends and family after this recent relapse to ask for prayer, my brother actually went on craigs list and found one for me. I haven't done anything about it yet b/c am just not sure of anything. Plus, the one he is talking about is closer to him (in NC).

I think it is a really good idea to get one, and I hope you find one you like. Gonna start looking in earnest, myself.

How about letting us know if/when you get one and how you like it?

Comment

i don't remember the type i have but purchased it off of craigslist for 600.00 and then had a mobility company installed it for an additional 800.00 for instalation

Comment

nmss.org

Originally posted by chrisinpa View Post
                  i have never been a big fan of the national ms society. they always seemed to me to be a schill for big pharma. BUT I NOW EAT MY WORDS.

i had a contractor give me an estimate for a stair glide for my house. he suggested i call the ms society for a grant. i called and went round and round and jumped through hoops BUT in the end THEY PAID FOR THE WHOLE THING (thousands $$$.) how great is that.

thank you ms society.

i got a custom curved PRIDE stair glide. wow. wish i had done it years ago.
                  Funny cuz I am now thinking about a stair lift and nmss.org was the first place I checked. Called and spoke to person who was very helpful. E-mailed me lots of info. glad to hear the foundation helped pay for yours.

Toot
                  toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
                  Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

Sort of off topic

But the first thing I envisioned was going down the stairs on an upside down skate board!
                    techie
                    Another pirated saying:
                    Half of life is if.
                    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Best thing I ever did

After having trouble with the stairs (after I hurt my hand couldn't hang on) we looked into getting the stair glide.

I called the MS program here in WI. They have a grant program but we have too much in saving so we don't qualify They did give me info for places to call or visit. Store few blocks from home had just what I needed and the price was fair. If we paid cash (check) we'd get a 10% discount that works.

Salesperson came out & we signed the paperwork. Next day they came & installed it. Why oh why did I wait so long???

When I'm tired I'll use the glide, when I feel strong, I' walk the steps for exercise

Toot
                      toot

DX 1986 currently on TY
                      Copaxone 2003 to February 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X