Wheelchairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchairs

Sooo, it's coming down to it, that I will need a wheelchair when I leave my house for an extended length of time..
    The question is, do I go with manual or powered?
    I want to use a manual, that way I can keep up my muscle strength, and excersize, however, I half of the time have trouble with my hands. They become shaky, spastic and weak....
    Help! What did you choose?? And are you happy with your choice?? Any insite would be fantastic

get electric power chair

i have a power chair and my power chairs helps preserves my energies. it keeps me mobile and going in a forward motion and that's important.

Comment

There are many things to consider. Do you have the upper body strength for a manual chair? I'm okay on the flat, but even a very slight incline is too much for me, let alone a ramp.

Do you have a problem with fatigue? If you do, you'll find a power chair much easier on you.

Will you need to transport it in your vehicle? Manual chairs fold and can be put in the back seat or trunk of a car, but a power chair requires a ramp or lift and a vehicle that can accommodate it.

Will you be applying for funding? I got partial funding for my power chair through Ontario's Assistive Devices Program and they have restrictions on what you can receive from them. I bought my manual chair used myself, and got funding for the much more expensive power chair.

Would that be an option for you - to have both types of chair? You could use the manual one when you were able, and the power one when you needed an "easier" ride...

An occupational therapist can work with you to see what would work best - it's a hard thing to figure out for yourself, especially with all the options available for chairs.

Comment

i feel like a stinking store!
        have 5 or so canes
        1 rollator
        1 manual w/c
        1 electric fold up w/c
        and i use ALL of them at varying times. i have 1 cane posted at every door leading outside. my manual w/c stays in car trunk for emergencies and rollator in house for bad days at home! the elec chair, thank the Lord!, i only use for vacations, zoo, siteseeing, etc. for now.

when i was in a manual wc full time for 2 yrs i had been in excellent shape until i fell at school. busted up my hip joint something terrible!

if you can get the funding from ins. since you don't know when your hands are going to act up, i suggest going with it.

but i found the longer i'm in a wc, my ability to walk starts lessening.
        i'd ask your dr what you are able to do to keep from losing muscle in your legs if you can still use them.

i'm afraid they're going to make getting a power chair very hard and expensive soon.
        that's why i suggest getting one now. a manual is a lot cheaper if you have to pay for it yourself.

be sure and get EXACTLY what you like and are comfortable with. they will be your companion for a long time.

take care and God bless ya!
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I got a manual because that is what was covered. I wish I could have an electric one. I use the manual when I know there will be a lot of walking, BUT...I also make note of every store and their courtesy scooters. My grocery store, Walmarts, Targets, etc have electric scooters that really come in handy. Since we have a small car with a small trunk, the manual was possibly my only option. I just got back from a short trip and had to wheel myself through the airport which was not easy!!

Comment

Working...
          X