Cane hand help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cane hand help

I rely on my cane to get around both my house and wherever I happen to go in my day. My hand, the side that runs down under my pinky to the heel of my palm, HURTS!!
    Does anyone else have this problem?? If so, what can you reccomend?? It is getting to the point that I am unable to go anywhere because the pain is unbearable....
    Help!!!!
    <3

Heather

Your thread is moved to the Assistive Devices forum.

Seems to me that this topic has come up before, maybe about some kind of cane padding?

I can't remember exactly, but I think you might get some feedback about cane accessories on this forum.

Also, if you ask this in the Occupational Therapy forum, I'm sure Susan (Occupational Therapist) will have some great feedback for you about your hand hurting from the cane.

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I don't have an answer for you. Just wanted to let you know that I have had the same issue. Usually it is when I have been walking a lot and have been super reliant on my cane.

I did make a small adjustment to the height (moved it one notch shorter) and that seemed to help. Also, I do some grip exercises like my son does for rock climbing.

I am interested to hear what Susan (and others) say!

Comment

I use a forearm crutch, not a cane, but I just had to do some revamping in order to make it work for me. I actually purchased some lamb's wool from a fabric store and sewed a cuff and padding for the handle. It might work out for your cane, or something else along those lines. You can even buy regular foam padding.

Good luck! It's no fun when you can't use your assistive devices properly.

Comment

The pain can be from gripping the handle too tight, strain. A Cane handle that can be a great help is a Fischer Handle, it is side specific, only fits left or right, not both. Your hand fits so comfortably that there is very little work to use it. Padded handles can reduce the strain and cushion your hand. I have both, prefer the Fischer Handle.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

does your hand hurt any other time besides when using cane?

i had this pain before MS dx and it was nerve problems, that neuro later explained that was a MS sx not nerve damage which actually would have gone away with steroids - instead they did ulnar nerve surgery, which i don't recommend. i have ugly scares on my elbows and still problems with pinky, ring and middle finger.

such is MS. but if it hurts all the time dr should know about it.
            praying you find relief.
            take care and God bless ya!
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

the fischer hand grips mentioned are great and you can get them on forearm crutches too- the forearm crutch gives you more support and less stress on your hand. I do think that seeing an OT and or physical therapist would be a good idea- they can look at the issue and see if it is related to the use of the cane and what kind of walking aide is best and will cause the least discomfort and most stability

my personal thoughts are that canes are not really all that practical forsomeone needing heavy support- i found a single forearm crutch more supportive than a pair of canes

Comment

Working...
              X