Review: Arctic Heat Cooling Vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review: Arctic Heat Cooling Vest

After much research and counting pennies, I finally selected the Arctic Heat cooling vest. There was a 20% July discount and an updated review at Active MSers that finally sealed the deal.

Why a cooling vest? Like many MS patients, I can melt in the heat. Texas summers generally range from 95-105 degrees any given day between May and September.

I also liked the less bulky appearance of the Arctic Heat vest. I do not really want to walk around in public looking like I have on a ballistic vest. I really don’t want to deal with the looks, the sneering or the questions.

Financials: At $220, the price of the vest isn’t cheap and not covered by any insurance carriers. It is also not part of the MSAA cooling vest program (http://www.msassociation.org/programs/cooling/) so you are on the hook for the entire amount.

Couple the high price with a less than stellar return policy and I was HOPEFUL the company or reviews were truthful.

Sizes: I was concerned about ordering the right size since the vest comes in 2" increments. Fortunately, I measured twice before ordering and found the vest to be true to size.

The online ordering was process was easy enough. The vest shipped quickly without any hassles.

Initial impressions:
    The vest arrived neat and tidy in its package. It really does resemble a t-shirt being very light weight and compact. I have some build quality concerns about the zipper. It’s plastic and has a little “hitch” on the bottom. For $220, I don’t want to end up with a busted zipper from routine use. Again, their warranty is rather weak.

Time to test drive my vest:
    I follow the instructions and wet the vest. At this point, you realize it’s wet, like wet. You can use a salad spinner or the dryer (no heat) to remove some of the moisture, but that still leaves the vest damp at best.

Getting the vest wet causes gel inserts to activate and swell up. There goes the “style” of the garment. Yes, you can wear the vest under other garments, but there are issues here. First off, when wet the vest resembles the stillsuits from the movie Dune. When you put on a shirt over the vest you can still swelling and all chances to remain discrete are gone. The vest is clearly visible under clothing and may resemble a ballistic jacket or back brace.

Cooling Power:
    The main reason for anyone wearing this vest is to remain cool. The main reason for a Multiple Sclerosis patient to wear this vest is survival. Unfortunately, Arctic Heat does not differentiate between athletes looking to stay cool and Multiple Sclerosis patients attempting to maintain some level of normalcy.

This is my first vest, so I do not have others to compare it too. I bought this vest to take the edge off and it does exactly that. The vest is cooling well for about 2 hours in 105+ degree temperatures. I also wanted to attend soccer games and be able to walk afterwards. The vest meets these expectations fairly well, but I still wonder if another product would have met my needs better.

I have found wearing an undershirt makes the vest more tolerable since I do not like the regular dampness.

Suggestions for Arctic Heat
    1. The neck could plunge an inch or two lower to conceal the top of the vest.
    2. Consider Velcro closures that may be easier to put on, allow for weight fluctuations, and still permit proper fit.
    3. Install heavy-duty ribbing in the stomach area to resemble six-pack abs
    4. Install ribbing around the collar to help cool the neck (they do have neck products)
    5. Consider offering medical patients a different program than your athletes that may just want to look cool at the track.
    6. Consider changing zippers to metal ones, or warranty defects for a full year.

Summary: The vest cools well for a couple of hours. It is lighter weight than most of the other vests I researched. Unfortunately, the vest is expensive and completely out of pocked. The manufacturer has a very limited warranty and return policy. The manufacturer also has no programs specifically tailored for Multiple Sclerosis patients. I believe this vest is cost-prohibitive for many in our community.

The vest fits a niche-market for cooling vests and I find myself in that niche. I have time-limited exposure to heat during a soccer game or other outdoor events and the vest will certainly help there. I think the vest would have VERY LIMITED benefit after and over 2.5 hours. Then again, when temperatures are 108 nothing provides full relief. I am glad I have my first cooling vest and it has helped me, but I am not convinced this vest is a good value proposition.

MSAA Cooling Vest Program
    -> http://www.msassociation.org/programs/cooling/

THANK YOU MARCO FOR YOUR REVIEW

MARCO,

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME (AND MONEY) TO REVIEW THIS VEST. I HAD LOOKED AT THESE BEFORE AND WAS WONDERING HOW EFFECTIVE THEY ARE.

MY BIGGEST CONCERN WITH THE VESTS, BEING FEMALE.. WAS THE BUST AREA.. AND HAVING A SWIMMERS BACK (STRONG SHOULDERS) AND SMALLER WAIST IF IT WOULD ROLL UP.. AS THAT WOULD MAKE IT UNCOMFORTABLE.

WE ARE LUCKY (OR NOT SOO LUCKY) THAT OUR SUMMERS ARE SHORT UP HERE IN MONTANA.. A QUICK DIP IN THE YELLOWSTONE IS AN INSTANT COOL OFF AT 54 DEGREES..

I SURE HOPE ARTIC HEAT TAKES IN YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS, THEY SOUND REASONABLE ENUF FOR ME AFTER WORKING FOR MANY YEARS IN THE MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY.
    I THINK HAVING A MEDICAL PROGRAM WOULD ACTUALLY BOOST THEIR REPUTATION..AND OFFER SOME INSIGHT ON PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT.. BUT THATS JUST MY THOUGHT PROCESS..

THANKS AGAIN!

OMI
    OMZONE / OMZOP

Comment

Thanks from me too for a most thorough review. I don't think I can tolerate the wetness factor of this kind of vest. That is one reason I've been happy with my phase change vest, never a wetness problem.

Omzone, I hear you on the concern of the bust area. I don't wear the inserts in the front of my vest. I feel that cooling my chest isn't very helpful for me. Not using the front pockets also makes the vest look pretty normal I am using the Coolsport classic vest in white.

It also has a plastic zipper by the way. So far so good, I've used this vest for about 5 years. The velcro strapping allows some adjustability as far as fit.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review Marco!

Comment

Arctic Heat is a Phase Change Vest. With them it is a very good idea to wear a light shirt under the vest. Make sure it is not very wet, just damp.

To make the zipper work better rub wax on it very lightly, a candle will work very well even though most zipper wax has bees wax in it.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

My Coolsport is similar to the Glacier Tek product reviewed here:

http://www.activemsers.org/gear/testcoolingvests.html

Comment

Working...
          X