Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Wheelchairs

Hi all,

Would appreiate some feedback. Was evaluated & fitted for an electric wheelchair. Not like I want to add this to my "collection" (or home decor), but realize it's finally time. I need a high back seat (captain's chair style) , due to back weakness and chronic back pain. The portable one I was hoping to get (it breaks down, but still heavy, but my husband and teen son can handle that. I've used it before with the version has the captain's seat), found out is no longer made (Quantum 1107, but not XL version).

The backs on the scooters I've tried are just too uncomfortable for a long outing, along with the portable wheelchairs out now. So, I guess it means a lift on the back of our vehicle . I have seen a few refurbished ones, guess I might check into some of those to purchase one day on my own.

The Quantum Q-6 series was recommended (with tilt, to shift your weight) ... some valid reasons why, my MS has been pretty active, and we're looking ahead a few years as well. (Not that I wanted to ...) I've had experience with several bad relapses, that leave me pretty much immobile (therefore, the tilt feature), along with fatigue and weakness. Did a little research on it ... but conflicting info about who likes it & why, & who hates it and why.

I think Huntered has this one, and liked it ... but haven't seen anyone else post about it. Really curious about comfort, power, how well (& high) it clears uneven surfaces, etc.

Any feedback about this one, or what others have, and what they like/ dislike about theirs (or suggestions) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Hi Kimba,
    Last year when I was getting my powerchair I tried the Invacare TDX-SP and also the Quickie Xperience. I chose the TDX and have been very happy with it.

Some of the reasons I didn't like the Quickie: it gave a bumpier ride, it made more of an annoying noise when I stopped or changed speed, I couldn't read the screen on the joystick outdoors...

The front wheels were bigger and got in the way more than the ones on the TDX, and also I had to get them exactly straight on curbs or it would veer off sideways. Going up large curbs the front wheels would lift off the ground a bit and that was a bit disconcerting.

The place I bought it from worked with the OT who assessed me to get it customized just right. They let me test drive them for a couple of weeks each so I could get a good feel for them in all kinds of situations.

After I got mine I posted a thread called "power chair = freedom" and that's still the way I feel. After a few years of only being able to walk a short distance with my walker, and always having to be driven places, I'm enjoying being able to get in my chair and go. All the buses in our city are wheelchair accessible, so I can get just about anywhere I want to go. It's made a huge difference to my life.

Comment

StillOkay,

Thanks for your response. Glad to hear you really like your chair and it has given you so much more freedom . (Wish the bussing where I live was better ...)

I did like that yours has more ground clearance (3"). The van seat option is listed as a "new" option on Invacare's website, but there's no picture and couldn't add it when I tried to configure the chair to my needs . Think they need to update their website ...

I checked out usatechguide.org, but that made me even more confused !!! That's great you got to test drive them for a couple of weeks, first. I don't know if that is an option that will be available for me, but now I will ask.

Any features you'd recommend?

Thx.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I added on the G-Trac Electronic Gyroscope module - it helps keep the chair going in a straight path, and helps keep it straight if you go over an obstacle. I can't feel things well with my fingers and don't have much fine motor control in my hands, so the OT recommended it for me. It makes it less tiring for me to drive because I don't have to make so many little adjustments with the joystick.

I chose to have solid tires rather than ones you have to keep filled - I'm not the type to want to have to remember to check tire pressure every couple of weeks. Also, if I did have a flat, I'd be in real trouble - I can't even get up out of the chair to go somewhere to wait for someone to come and fix it. Apparently it makes for a bit bumpier ride, but to me it's worth not having the stress of worrying about them.

Other than that it was just picking a cushion and back that felt good and picking a colour. I am thinking about getting a cup holder, though

Comment

StillOkay,

Thanks for your suggestions. I certainly agree about the tires! Doesn't make sense to put tires on an electric w/c that need to be checked all the time! See where getting a flat while you are using it would be a problem .

The G Trac feature is intriguing, as well. Been thinking of the cup holder, too. (They should just make an arm with an opening for a cup molded into the arm at the end ... instead of bolting a cupholder on the side where it sticks out. Can picture myself crashing into a doorway with it because I forget I need the extra clearance when I'm using it!)

Noticed they don't all have flip up arms .. think that is something I need to ask about, too.
          Kimba

Comment

Working...
          X