Remote Vehicle Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Vehicle Starter

I'm thinking of getting a remote starter for my SUV. It allows you to start your vehicle from within your home. I think this would be great for folks with MS because you could start the vehicle and if you leave the A/C on, you could cool the vehicle down before you have to get in it. (You could also warm it up in the winter.)

I drive a black Ford Edge, and it usually takes forever to start cooling down, which means I have to deal with the heat until I'm almost to my destination. I think this starter would be great!

I wonder if insurance would pay for this, since it would be an assistive device. Or maybe the MS society who supplies cooling vests could add it to their program. (Of course, I couldn't get one because I haven't gotten a diagnosis yet, but it could help others.)

Do any of you have one of these? Does it work well? Is it expensive?
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Hi Sashi,

I have a remote start in my car and I use it in the winter so I don't have to clean snow and in the summer on really hot days to cool it. I love it and it makes my life easier. Being from Pennsylvania I use it more in the winter than the summer. Mine was factory installed so I have no idea how much it costs to have one installed but if you take it to the dealer they will be able to tell you. Not sure if it is true but my understanding is if the dealer doesn't install it there can be problems. Also I don't think I would bank on insurance covering it, but it is worth a try. I would say it is definitely worth having if not cost prohibitive.

Comment

In theory....

I also have a remote starter, and in theory, it's a great idea. The problem I run into is I might not have left the a/c or heater on when I got out of the car last. Or, more likely, I totally forget to use the darn thing until I'm about 2 minutes from getting into the car anyways.
      D&C 121:7-8 ...peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment

Comment

They usually cost less than $600. I don't think Insurance will ever cover it, however if you get a prescription for it you can take it off your taxes as a Medical expense.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I have a new Ford Explorer and I don't need to leave the climate control on. When I turn the car on remotely it turns the climate control on to the last setting automatically. Not sure if this is a feature of just the explorer or if it's because of it being factory installed or if it is a ford thing. Your dealer can let you know.

Comment

I can program the remote start to run for 5, 10 or 15 minutes. If that is not long enough I can extend it to double that time. Mine is programed for 15 and if that is not long enough I can extend it for another 15 giving me a total of 30 minutes, which is more than enough to cool, defrost or run out of gas.

Comment

It will run the set amount then shut off. To cool it more just turn it on again, there is no limit to the times.

First time will cool it mostly, the second just before you go out to get in, it will be completely cooled. A Sun shade for the windshield is very valuable.
              Bill
              Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I miss my remote starter ! Had one in my old van and never got one installed into the new one (which is now 5 years old). It was going to be $ 300 and we didn't have the money at the time. I just made the kids start it for me - but they aren't around as much anymore.

That was all before my MS diagnosis. Now that I'm diagnosed and feeling symptoms, a remote starter sure would be nice !

I never had problems with my aftermarket installed one in the old van, and they even made my front door locks into power locks for me.

Mine was set for 15 minutes to run - plenty of time to warm up or cool down 95% of the time.

Comment

Remote Starter

As a resident in FL, remote start is almost a necessity.I was lucky, my husband installed remote start for me-and yes, it will cool it off (as long as I remember to push the button before I plan to get in!)
                  The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Comment

Working...
                  X