traditional crutches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

traditional crutches

Does anyone use traditional crutches to help them with mobility? I have a cane, a walker (with 4 wheels, a seat and hand brakes) and a manual wheelchair. I only use the walker at home and the chair on long trips.

I hate using the cane - I feel like it takes more work to use it then it does to stumble along holding walls and rails. I have crutches and have been thinking they might keep me more stable - any thoughts.

I have a good assortment of walking boots and leg braces to go with all of these mobility aids because it took a few years to figure out that I had MS and that I wasn't just accident prone.

If the Cane is too much work, the Crutches will be significantly more. The Four Wheel Walker may be the best choice.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Katvar,

Depends on how much more "stable" you need to be and what you mean. You have to be very careful about using crutches! I'm assuming you are stumbling along and using rails and walls for your balance. If you are struggling a lot w/ balance issues, and the cane seems like too much work now, regular crutches aren't a good idea. They could give you a "false" sense of balance, and down you'll go in an instant. (Don't forget, they aren't comfortable under your arms, either). You'll also have 2 larger crutches to worry about, too, not just 1 smaller cane. There are some people who do use 2 canes. In your case, I agree with wkikta.

PT's rx'd forearm crutches for me once while I was in inpatient rehab for two weeks after a relapse, but my balance was fairly good at the time. They gave me the boost I needed to stand up, stand straighter, and walk faster; but soon found it was a pain every time I wanted to use my hands to do something once I came home. The crutches always both ended up on the floor, and I had to constantly pick them both up. I soon realized I felt and was safer (during times my balance failed), and that it was easier for me to do things using a rollator. It's always convenient to have a seat (on the 4-wheeled rollator) to sit on whenever you need it, too.

Please don't take any chances. See a physical therapist if you can for advice & maybe therapy/ training with mobility aids that could make your mobility easier. It's not worth the broken bones or a concussion if you fall.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi
        I am having a really serious relapse for months now. My walking was never great but know it is real bad and I have no balance. I was using canes, sticks and the likes. It was not until I started to use crutches that I felt I could walk better. I think they are much better than sticks and canes. I also don't think crutches are so obvious looking
        Diagnosed 10 years.
        Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

I like forearm crutches. They give you more stability than a cane and more maneuverability in smaller spaces than a rollator. I have one of those, too.

Forearm crutches are kind of hard to find around here, and the ones they have in medical supply stores are not great.

I found some online that have an ergonomic grip made out of soft rubber material, not foam. It has a wide place for the palm of your hand and is really comfortable. There is a strap around the front of the top that keeps them from falling off if you need to take your hand off to open a door.

The brand is Kowsky. They made in Germany and are sold online through Award Prosthetics in British Columbia, Canada. You can custom order them in about 10 colors, or a combination of those colors. They do cost about $200, but for my main mode of indoor mobility, they are worth it.

Comment

ive been wondering the same thing i work full time as a photo tech but lately my legs hurt so bad its hard to stay standing long i dont really have balance problems but which would be better to help ease the stress on my legs

Comment

Working...
            X