Shopping List Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping List Tip

I just typed a one page shopping list into the computer with everything I can think of that I buy at the grocery store.

I used Microsoft Word and made a 4-column, 1 row table. Everything in each column is bulleted and I left blank spaces between some items for things I think of later. I organized the list as best I could in order of how the aisles are at the grocery store.

Then I printed it and highlighted only the items I will need this week.

After I visit the store again I will tweak the list a few more times, then print one each week to go off of.

This saves me from handwriting (which is awful right now), helps to remind me of things I might need that I didn't think of and is less stressful than inventing a list every week !

great idea, i had not thought of having the list in the order that the items would be in the aisles- thats so simple but good

Comment

I go to walmart.com and use their shopping list.

Search the site, find what I want to add to the list or type it in, save it and print. Next time I just change what I need, rinse and repeat.

Shopping list is good where ever Bones goes, but if he's actually shopping at the Walmart, the list can be printed with SKU numbers so store employees can find the items for him.

It's great for something you see on a commercial, but don't remember the brand. Just look for the picture... it's like wandering up a virtual aisle.

Comment

thank you Cosake, this is very helpful when I give my husband a grocery list

Thank you Cosake, this is very helpful when I give my husband a grocery list. I hadn't thought of this.

I know what I need to do, is make an excel file with the same room diagram of each room in our home. They I need to list drawers in the same diagram for each room. Then in the square, I need to list what is in that drawer.

I have serious memory loss. So when I need something, all I would have to do, is type "SEARCH" in the Excel file. I know this is difficult to believe, but it gets a little old not being able to find a pair of socks.

I did this many years ago, for the CFO, when the company I was working for, sold. I listed each file cabinet contents in an Excel file, and arranged the file to match the arrangement of the office. Then when I was gone, all the CFO had to do, was hit "Search" in the Excel file, and he could find exactly what he needed.

Of course, that was "back in the day." Back when I could remember everything, and remember where everything was located. And back when I had everything very organized.

Now I am looking at the misorganization in my room. And just as my misspelling, oh well, I'll deal with it.

Comment

Great organizational idea using XLS, Marie.

Sorry to the girls who thought I wrote Shop Lifting ! I can see how you could easily read it that way. I have to read some things three times to read it properly. Then I'll tell hubby what I thought something said and he cracks up laughing - we both do !

Comment

cosake - what a great idea!! I often can't read my scribbling and this would certainly help!

I have always done the grocery shopping myself, however the last 3 or so weeks have had to give in and let hubby go for me as
            my walking and balance were worse than usual.

So-- the other week I give him the shopping list and he looks at it and then cracks up!! I say- "whats so funny?" and he says "what's up with the arrows and taped pictures on here?" (pics cut from the store ad)

I then tell him that the "pictures" are of the stuff on sale and to make sure he gets that brand. So----he comes home with the store brand (which was more expensive) than the "JELLO" brand of refrigerated pudding that was taped to the list! Said he just saw the pudding on the shelf and grabbed it!!

As I was laughing, I tell him that, that is why the pictures were taped to the list! But I couldn't really give him a hard time- as he does so much for me and is just a great guy!

Comment

Kathy -

I like the pictures idea - that will be great when I have to send hubby.

If I happen to send him to the store for something these days, I try to tell him where in the store the item is located, what color and size the packaging is and the brand and exact name and approximate price. He does pretty good most of the time but that is just one or two items at a time.

He hates to grocery shop and is not great at it - he sees too many new things to try out and buy!

I worked on my list more today and after a few weeks of shopping I should have it just the way I want it.

Comment

Help

d:[QUOTE=MrsBones;1299063]I go to walmart.com and use their shopping list.
                That's a great idea! I can't find the list. Help. Please?

Comment

[QUOTE=akafearless;1299401]d:
                  Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
                  I go to walmart.com and use their shopping list.
                  That's a great idea! I can't find the list. Help. Please?
                  Sure! Go to walmart.com. In the upper right hand corner , either sign into your account if you have one or create an account. You don't have to order anything. You can get ads from your chosen store sent to you by email if you wish.

Once signed in,you can create the list by mousing over "My Lists" then clicking on "My Store Shopping List". There, you can view,print and update saved lists or create a whole new one. Some things I purchase that I don't need a specific brand of, like milk or salt, I just type in. Other things that are more specific, I search that brand out and add it to the list.

You add the broad category to the list, like cereal. Then cereal appears on the list with a browse button. Click that and you can look for Raisin Bran. You can also just directly search an item , site wide, and click the "add to list" button, but that button isn't on every item you see, it depends on it's availability ( in store or online). That way, you could add in stuff like printer ink or an iPod.

I've even emailed it to my father right from the site so he can grab a few things for me when Bones is stuck on a longer haul than planned.

To me it's much easier than setting up a doc and then changing it as needed. Since we shop in the Super Walmart, we can add items right from the sale paper to make sure whoever is doing the shopping gets just what I need. It prints the code number so an employee can locate the exact item you want if you can't find it.

Comment

I wish we had a local Super Walmart - they are talking about converting one of them, so maybe soon.

I wonder if I could still use the WM list even though I shop elsewhere ? That way it would have the brand names on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
                      I wish we had a local Super Walmart - they are talking about converting one of them, so maybe soon.

I wonder if I could still use the WM list even though I shop elsewhere ? That way it would have the brand names on it too.

Of course! It's no different than writing Campbell's Cream of Broccoli on a piece of paper by hand and taking it to the store. We do shop at a Super Walmart, but we have taken the list to a regular supermarket.

I was in error in my initial post, it's not the SKU, but the UPC code, so depending on how helpful a store employee is, they can also look up an item at another store. I used the Walmart list initially for the ease of creating it (no writing, easy to get across exactly what I wanted and Bones didn't have to guess) but the codes have turned out to be very helpful, especially when Bones had to shop in unfamiliar territory, like the hair dye.

Do you have a local supermarket that allows you to shop online? Those markets have similar features. Before I discovered the Walmart list, I went to the site of a local market that lets you shop online and have the food delivered. It wasn't as good as the Walmart one but the basics were there. Check your local markets and see if they have something similar, because then if you shop by sale ads, you won't have to look through the ad, then go to walmart.com and hope to find the sale items in Walmart. It would be all in one place.

Comment

Unfortunately we are in a rural area and no one offers this service. The grocery store with by far the best prices doesn't even have a website with specials, etc. listed on it.

I will check out the list and see how that works for my regular store shopping.

Comment

I order a lot on-line

Trips to the store wear me out. I let my aide do everything. I shop often at Amazon.com for drinks, & other daily needs that can be bought in bulk. Coffee is bought, in bulk sizes, directly from the manufacturer. So I don't shop for basics but every 3 months.

I like the picture idea. Rosa has a hard time finding things at the closest grocery.

Has anyone had an employee go shopping with them? I have done it several times. Everyone knows me by my wheelchair. So help at that store is great.

KK

Comment

Can't remember squat

Hi everyone, I'm in the category where I can't remeber where I put squat. I hate to write because it hurts, and typing is beginning to hurt but I'll get the voice software soon. I started doing things a little differently years ago when MS first started chomping at my brain. Reduce. I reduced my socks, pj's etc. to 1 row of drawers. We remodeled the kitchen, putting in pull out drawers thru-out. The drawers are nice but take more space so anything that didn't fit (which was a lot) was donated. I find it so much easier now with less stuff. The hangers in our closet are either white or black. My husband gets one color and I get the other. At the beginning of each year, I begin hanging his laundered clothes on the opposite color and same with mine. After doing this for 1 year, you can easily tell which clothes were not worn over the past year. Get rid of them. We have gone from an overstuffed, overgrown, walk-in closet to a roomy closet with space. Wasn't easy, but was worth it.
                            My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

Delivery is great

I use Peapod from Giant and Safeway.com. There is a fee but it's worth it. I would think that other major grocery chains offer online services.
                              [I]Tellnhelen
                              Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Working...
                              X