Wheelchair to walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair to walking

I have been in a WC for almost 4 years now. I am regaining some feeling in and control of my legs. Please share with me any experiences any of you have had in progressing back to walking. What would be the best Physical Therapy at this point? My PT closed my case about 2 years ago because of lack of progress. I have been working with a personal trainer, and in the water regularly ever since. Thanks. Norine

What wonderful news Norine!!!! Are you on any meds that you think might have helped your improvement?

Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but maybe others will. Again, congrats on getting your legs back!!!

Comment

That's wonderful, Norine! I'd suggest that you continue to work with the personal trainer (if you can afford it). PTs are wonderful, but they have to abide by insurance rules in order to get paid. I'm sure that's why your case was closed. They have to show progress on your part. If they can't, the insurer will not allow you to continue to get professional help.
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Wheel chair to walking

I have been on copaxone for about three years. Norine

Comment

Hi Norene,
          I am in a similar situation. I've been in a WC for 3 years following a bad relapse. Since then, I've been doing PT off and on. I've had some improvement. At one point I was fairly comfortable with a quadcane after about 6 months of PT twice a week. Luckily, I had really good insurance and since I was steadily improving they continued to pay.

Now, I have medicare-due to being on SSDI for 2 years. I just started PT again this week after being off for 1 year. Unfortunately, I regressed a bit, so I need to build it back up. So, I'll see how many visits they'll allow.

My issues are mainly balance related. I have a decent amount of strength, but that isn't enough. I can take a few steps, but feel like I can fall at any moment.
          Jenna
          Dxed R/R 1999 ,Avonex 1999-2003,Rebif 2003-7Tysabri 2008-2013, JC +

Comment

Hi Norine:
            That's great news! Regaining feeling and control in your legs sounds like a good reason to open a new PT case for you. That's progress you can build on.

Also, there are new theories and techniques that weren't in use 4 years ago that might help you make progress now, e.g., the work of the Tactile Communication and Neurorehabilitation Lab at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. So in addition to starting PT again, there's some exciting research to look into. It looks like there's more than one reason to get in touch with your doctor and rehab team to get the process started. Please let us know what happens.

Comment

Do you think Copaxone has helped?
              I'd stay on it if possible.

Floor and weight exercises without fatigue or over heating is what the PT Therapist told me to do.

Congrats on your improvement!

Comment

Working...
              X