Uh oh, this is new...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh oh, this is new...

Sorry if this is repititive, but in short, I had my first flare (that I knew of) in Sept 2010. My symptoms were ON, left side weakness, numbness, tingling, etc., oh, and FATIGUE! I was off work for a couple of months, and was diagnosed and started Copaxone in December. I felt pretty bad through the end of January, and began feeling a lot better in Feb and on through March and part of April.

Last month, I had a week long bout of vertigo, got over that and felt pretty good again. A couple of weeks after that, I began having increased fatigue, then weakness in my arms and shoulders, then weakness and pain in my legs. I just didn't feel well in general. I missed 7 days of work - I just couldn't do it.

Here's where it gets interesting... During my first couple of days off, I saw my neurologist. She was concerned that I was having another flare already. So much so that SHE IS SECOND GUESSING MY MS DIAGNOSIS!?! What?! I was diagnosed with ON by an Opthomologist. When I had a 2nd or 3rd bout of it, my neuro sent me to a neuropth. Apparently, the neuropth said that I never had ON. This was news to me! So, based on the fact that one opth said I did, and one said I didn't, and the fact that I had a flare so soon, my neuro is thinking this might be something else. I am so confused! I thought that a flare could happen anytime, anyplace, anyhow, right? Why would she assume I shouldn't be having another flare? UGH!

She did more bloodwork (thought I had every test there was already). She said her office will call with an MRI appt, which is Wednesday.

Anyway, ending the appointment, she said I definitely have something neurological going on, and "We will call it MS until proven otherwise". Huh?! She told me to continue taking Copaxone though. Ugh! I left feeling so helpless and scared and angry!!

Went through the remainder of the week off, and felt like I was getting better. Still tired and limping, but better.

WELL, I went back to work this morning. Not fun... I didn't feel real hot, tired, etc. Plus, it's just not fun going back to work after 7 days off! But, as the day went on I really began to feel better, not great, but better. By late afternoon, I felt like I could walk a little faster, with less of a limp. YAY!

The end of the day comes, and I walked to my car, got in and drove home. I got out of my car and almost fell down. My legs and feet felt very heavy. My feet aren't working right, my left one just slaps the floor. Is this drop foot? And, do things come on this quickly? Within a 5 minute drive everything changed (or got worse). It's been about 6 hours now, and it's still the same. I'm a little scared, especially since my neuro says I may not have MS now.

I know this was long, and I apologize, but I appreciate your ear (or eyes, rather).

Best to everyone,
    Mandy
    , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Oh my, you really have had it rough!
    Your Neuro may be concerned that something was missed, so just go with the flow. I know it's confusing, frustrating, but there is always that "maybe". MS is a bipolar disease! You have ups, and downs, just like a roller coaster!

From reading all that you've done, it sounds like you over did it, and the ride home allowed your body to start to relax. That seems to be the time my body really let's me know if I over did it.
    MS, it's a brain thang!
    Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

So sorry about all of this. The last thing a person with a diagnosis of MS needs is second guessing.
      Hopefully, your doc is just being thorough.

Do you have MRI reports that show lesions?

It's quite possible to have flares very, close together.
      When I was first diagnosed, I'd have a flare every three months or so.
      It took a couple of years to get settled taking Copaxone and numerous 3-day or 5-day bouts of steroids, but after a long while, the flares decreased.
      With rest, reducing stress and Copaxone, I'm doing much, much better flare-wise. I certainly have MS. though.

Be sure to tell them all you are feeling happen.
      You have done a great job listing all of the symptoms you've been feeling and when.

Hugs to you Mandy!!

Comment

WACvet, Twisterred,

Thank you so much for your replies. I just can't say enough about how helpful it is to have support from other MSers who care!!!

WACvet, yes, it is very frustrating. I'm a pretty upbeat person, but all of this is getting to me a little bit. Not just that the doc wants to do more testing, but the MS itself. You're right though, I just need to go with it. Being upset isn't going to change a thing! I'd be lying though, if I said I didn't secretly wish that the doc will figure out that I just need a vitamin or something, and all of this would go away! Ha! Wishful thinking...

Twisterred, I have 30ish lesions on my brain, but so far, only a few that look like MS. No lesions have shown up on my c-spine yet. My last MRI was in October, and I have one scheduled for tomorrow, so we'll see.

Best to both of you, and HUGS,
        Mandy
        , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Comment

Working...
        X