Numbness question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbness question

Last night, my left hand started hurting and my fingers were really stiff. Then it started kind of going numb. It's still kind of numb, but it's a weird numb. I can still feel my hand, but my skin feels really tight and kind of painful and when I touch my hand, it feels weird, like I'm not touching it at all. It kind of tingles a bit too. And it's also hard to type. (I can't explain it better than that.) Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I called my neurologist and told the nurse about the seizure things I'm having and also about this numbness. (It's odd that the seizure things are happening on my right side and this numbness is on my left side.) Of course, my neurologist isn't in the office today (she's probably in Italy, where she spends a lot of time), but the NP is there, so I'm waiting for a call back.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Wow you poor thing..what else eh?

Could the NP give an order for oral steroids for now?

And do you need a referral for a epileptologist?

Good luck~ENOUGH!!

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

The numbness you described is probably my most common symptom. I have not had any kind of seizures though. It's almost like a bad spasm that then leaves you numb, but the hand still works ok, just weird feeling. Mine usually goes away within a day or so, but sometimes can last for weeks.

Comment

Shashi, I am so sorry you are going through the numbness and pain. I've had this same problem since 2009. I have numbness from my waist down to my feet and both hands. I didn't get any steroids or anything for this until earlier this year. It did absolutely nothing to help. Maybe I waited too long? I don't know. Anyway, I hope you get relief soon.
        "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
        Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

So, I called my neurologist today, and the nurse said she'd talk to the NP about the numbness and seizures, and call me back, but I never got a call back. This is twice I've called with a question and didn't get a response. It's not like I'm being a nusciance or anything either, as I sometimes go a year without calling or coming in. But I need help now, and I'm not getting it!

I'm just so frustrated I could cry. I don't know who to call anymore. I seriously feel like I'm about to just drop over dead, but like no one gives a hoot. They just don't care. I give up.
          Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
          Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Bless your heart. I am so sorry they did not call you back. I would call back and be a pain. Don't let them get away with that. Keep calling. If you want to cry here is my shoulder. I do understand and i can fell your pain.

I have the same feeling the last time i had a flair. It was all on one side. From my neck to my feet. I did talk to my GP because i had a problem with my neuro office. I was put on pred and it helped.

Keep calling and know that we are here cheeing you on. Lots of ((((hugs)))) and i hope you get to feeling better.

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post

I'm just so frustrated I could cry. I don't know who to call anymore. I seriously feel like I'm about to just drop over dead, but like no one gives a hoot. They just don't care. I give up.
              But we care.

breath, gather your strength.

now. get fiesty!
              karen

Comment

Shashi,
                I hope you got in to see your neuro today, and hope
                your feeling better today also. blessings Linda

Comment

Sounds like ANOTHER MS FLAIR.
                  (You have had quite a few recently)

What you are describing is a common flare for me, at least.
                  I'm sorry you are having this.
                  Those off feelings are quite uncomfortable.

IV steroids work best to calm down flares for most people.
                  If your doc doesn't help you, I strongly suggest finding another one.

Each flare does a bit more damage, which concerns me greatly for you.

Call, call, call and demand treatment to quiet the flare!!

Comment

Thanks, everyone. You're all the greatest, and I appreciate each one of you so much!

I didn't hear from my doctor again today. I'm going to call tomorrow and request that if they can't help me that they at least refer me to someone who can.

I don't know if it's part of my current symptoms or what, but I felt depressed today, which is very unusual for me. I'm never depressed and am almost always very upbeat and happy. I wasn't sad or anything, just rather lethargic and felt like nothing mattered. I don't like feeling like that, but I can't seem to get out of it. My brain feels like it's drugged or something. I also laid down for a nap, and every time I started to drift off, I'd start having bad tremors all over, not just on the right side as I've been having. It's weird!

I don't know if this is another flare or just more of the same one. Whatever it is, I just wish it'd go away.

Comment

And evidentially I can't spell anymore, because I know I spelled nusiance wrong, but I'm still not sure how to spell it. My spelling has gotten attrocious lately. (I spelled that wrong too, didn't I? )

Comment

Well yes you need a neuro that treats seizures = an epileoptologist. And..is this common with current MS neuro not to call back? Do you ask for his nurse or the triage (phone) nurse?

And I get depressed in WAVES when I am not bothered by anything. So as it consumes me, I CAN think of things that do bother me, but in a few hours or next day its all gone.
                        Again..it always comes in a wave and not very often which I am glad about.

Chemical changes in brain (inflammation) causes depressed and/or anxious feelings.

Hope you get answers soon. YOU WILL get answers..maybe your brain is changing just enough to give you a Diagnosis or two~

Hugs, Jan
                        I believe in miracles~!
                        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

You call and keep calling till they give you some help. Just know that we are here cheering you on.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. I will keep you in my prayers and i hope you can rest. I can understand the depression. Just know that you are not alone in what you are feeling.

I hope and pray they call you in the morning and you get the help that you need. Keep hanging in there.

Lots of ((((hugs))))

Comment

Numbness was a major symptom with me & MS. At one point much of my body was numb especially my hands. I couldn't feel them at all. But, in my case there was no pain.
                            I once spilled scalding cheese sauce on my left hand and it
                            too 30 seconds before I realized it. I got a second degree
                            burn. With Solumedrol treatments the numbness became less but I had to key with one finger even though at one time I could key 100 words a minute the right way. The last
                            numbness to leave was the little finger of my right hand. I'm just telling you my experience. Yours seems a little different since there is pain involved.
                            Surfer Ed
                            Show 'em who's got guts. Don't back down - Brian Wilson
                            ******Surfer ED******

Comment

Working...
                            X