Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intrathecal Baclofen MS: Too Little, Too Late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intrathecal Baclofen MS: Too Little, Too Late?

Just saw this mentioned in the MSQR magazine. Here's a link to the full paper (pubmed has the abstract):

http://msj.sagepub.com/content/early...510395056.long

Summary was that practitioners may be waiting "too late" to suggest ITB pump therapy as it has had great success in ambulatory patients.

I'll go read it, rd. I was told 3 years ago that I should have a pump, but silly me didn't want to give up walking and I believed that it would hasten that for me. Stupid.

I'm pushing for one this time with my neuro because now I CAN'T walk and I'm in pretty significant pain from the spasticity.

Thanks for the URL!
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Jazz,

Hope the trial works for you.

Why did you think it would hasten you giving up walking? Because of needing spasticity to walk?

I have mine turned pretty low so I don't have the noodle effect...still a little spasticity but not the awful painful kind.

Comment

Yep, that's why.

Now I have TOO MUCH spasticity!! Stupid disease, I tell ya'....and so inconvenient.
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Hi rdmc,
          thanks for posting - good article. Hope you are doing well !

Jazz,
          Very frustrating and challenging (to say the least) ! - I am in the same situation as you- my pump has stayed set at 140, my legs are noodles but no pain which as you know was my primary focus.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegiraffe View Post
            Hi rdmc,
            thanks for posting - good article. Hope you are doing well !

Jazz,
            Very frustrating and challenging (to say the least) ! - I am in the same situation as you- my pump has stayed set at 140, my legs are noodles but no pain which as you know was my primary focus.
            That's what scares me, BG! I CAN still walk, but it's beyond difficult, and the spasticity is just awful!! I'll be seeing my neuro at the end of this month, and I'll want to know everything!!

Thanks for all your help, RD and BG. It means a lot!!
            Diagnosed 1979

Comment

The dose setting is different for everyone. I would think a dose could help eliminate some of your spasticity while still allowing you too walk. But I guess the key is will it be enough to make you comfortable. My spasticity was extreme - oral baclofen never helped me at all, but the pump did big time.

Keep us posted; interested in hearing what you find out. Hope you get some helpful answers !

Comment

Working...
              X