Spinal Tap Results Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinal Tap Results Question

I'm confused! My doctor told me my spinal tap results were normal. While reading through my medical records, I noticed that it said "normal protein at 44." It continued, "CSF cell counts showed 1 WBC and 1 RBC. Second reported total protein was slightly elevated at 49." Does anyone know what this means? What does the second total protein, WBC and RBC represent? I wish my doctor would have been more concise and helpful in explaining the results. Ugh....

Nope I sure don't but I had an abnormal spinal so I will try.
    Mine showed Igg bands.. and it read like this
    "that this is normally seen in a dyemylinating disorder such as multiple sclerosis.
    (forgive my spelling)
    So I think what yours is saying those counts would really be in normal limits..
    no Igg banding

Comment

well, your spinal tap is looking for something specific called Ogliclonal bands - and if they didn't find any then your LP was normal I suppose. I hate the way they write the results of LPs personally. They are very confusing.
      Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
      ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

They are confusing because they are not for you to understand. The Medical Professionals are the ones they are for.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

high protein

hi desertdiva,
          my protein levels were 70+, and neuro said, "consistent with disease process."
          PCP says "consistent with MS"

subsequent LP was normal.
          I too was told that the first lp was normal, and learned of the high reading from requesting copies of the lab.
          Nov 2011 Muscle Biopsy Result: "Not enough info to further classify the disease" demyelinating disease of unknown origin

Comment

I like to get my test results because i am a control freak. i often run into terms i don't know so i just google them and have always found out what the term means, what average range is and what being outside the average range means.

i just google rbc & wbc in spinal fluid..here is what i got. yours seem within a normal range, some elevation can be from the spinal tap process itself.

normal protein is 15-60.

normal total protein is 6-8.3

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003625.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003628.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003483.htm
            xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
            X