Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driving problems

Hi everyone
    wanted to ask if anyone has issues driving, I have a neuro appt. tomorrow and it's quite a distance at least for me,
    about(45miles).
    using my feet and legs to push the gas or brake sends my muscles into some sort of spasms. when I go to push the gas pedal or brake I have a jerking motion that starts at my mid back and goes to my leg, like a backwards and fowards movement over and over.

than my left knee will start going sideways back and forth.
    I don't know what people going down the road think maybe that I'm grooving to the radio(ha!).
    anyways it really wears me out to get anywhere. please tell me if anyone has some of these same problems...do you all think it may be my legs get weak? it's like a shudder type movement.
    thank you everyone for reading and letting me vent
    and hope everyone is having a nice day wherever you are
    GOD BLESS, Linda

I had driving issues also, but mine was the inability to move my right foot from the gas to the brake in a timely manner. I had to stop driving. You might want to look into hand controls, or ask your neuro if it could be medication related.

Comment

Had to change from a manual to an automatic. Long trips, (longer than an hour), even as a passenger wear me out.

Comment

propioception

I have proprioception issues with my feet and legs. My neuro wants me to only drive short, local trips right now as this camewith my latest flare.

I will have my foot on the gas and look down to find that I am going slower and slower.

I can't keep my foot presssed and do not feel that I am not pushing on the gas pedal.

The same with the brake. I will be at a light and suddenly panic that I can't feel the brake.

I hope it changes soon. Idid IVSM and I am waiting for it to kick in.

I wonder if what you are experiencing is like a tremor. I get that if I use a muscle too long. Especially in my back and legs. Even sometimes when I am walking. My legs start to shake. It isn't a big movement with me though, yours sound like it might be a larger movement.

Please let us know what your dr. says.

Comment

Hi Linda,

I will only drive when I truley believe I am fully capable to drive safely.

I am not willing to risk another person(s) life just so I can go somewhere.

Not being able to drive has caused me to cancel appts. have my husband leave work to take me, and unfortuneatley ask and ask again family and friends, who probably dont mind as much as I think they do.

I miss out sometimes, but its better than the other option.

I'm not suggesting this for others. I only know it works for me.
          tmon

Comment

If you are having any problem with your legs you shouldn't drive. If it continues then hand controls may be what you need.

DON'T EVEN THINK OF DRIVING IF YOU ARE HAVING LEG SPASMS.
            Bill
            Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

You and nappy are both candidates for hand controls. When I was driving I made the switch and it felt good not to be a menace on the road.
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

You all are exactly right about not driving...I am even scaring myself
                well my arms are in no better condition, probably even weaker. you all told me what I needed to hear, It's just so hard at 45 yrs old to give up driving. I feel like I'm losing all my independence Linda

Comment

I too had trouble with my right leg. My trouble is stiffness and spastiticy. I had to pick up my leg and move it from the gas to the brake. Very tiring. Suggestion, if you are employed you may seek some financial help from the department of assistive and rehabilitative services for the gas/brake hand controls.

I also find low dose naltrexone (please google low dose naltrexone for ms for more information) helps with the spasms that affected my arms.

God Bless.

Comment

Working...
                  X