Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin for 5/5/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin for 5/5/11

Hi Everyone. I’ll try to keep my mind on matters at hand. The incredible news of the taking down of Osama bin Laden is still on my mind. Happy Mother’s Day to all of you mother’s out there. It’s fantastic that eight people reported in this week. I commend those who gained for reporting because I know it isn’t easy to see gains in black and white. Just keep remembering that this week can be different. Temperatures rising can give a lift for those who were suffering winter doldrums. Think about summer clothes and how great you will look in them with your new dimensions. I stayed the same this week so still weigh 115.5. I’m almost there so staying the same is just fine.

Sparky, don’t fret over a one pound set back. You have been doing very well. I continue to be blown away by all of your walking. Good for you.

Poohb3ar, don’t fret. Your small gain is not surprising being you are on steroids. I hope you don’t still have cadbury eggs around to tempt you. Sorry to hear about your spill and am glad to hear you weren’t seriously injured. Better luck this week.

MamaBug, steady as she goes. You have done great with a consistent weight loss over time. I know you will keep it up until you reach your goal. Keep up the good work.

Agate, Fantastic. I just knew you would show a substantial loss one of these days, and sure enough you did. You must be close to your goal weight. Sorry to hear that part of your loss may have been due to worries about your cat. Seizures can be truly frightening. I hope she is doing better.

Hunterd, Don’t be too disappointed about staying the same. It is truly better than gaining. I’m sure you will do better this week. Just keep plugging away and you will get there.

Celloyogi, you are so right. A loss is a loss no matter how small. All of those half pound losses really do add up. You are going in the right direction. Too bad about the cadbury eggs being gone but it is probably a good thing. Keep going in the right direction

Ccsitter, three pounds is amazing. Congratulations. I am so glad to see you back this week and hope we will see you again next week. I hope you win the contest and get the prize in your weight loss group. You can do it. Do let us know how it turns out. Fingers crossed.

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for over seven years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip for the Week:

Pistachios are healthy nuts to add to your diet. Their shells make them especially dieting-friendly: “Eating them in the shell automatically slows down your pace so the snack lasts longer and you eat less overall,” says Bauer. They may also help you breathe easier: University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center researchers found that eating two ounces of pistachios daily may reduce the chance of developing lung cancer. Pistachios are rich in the antioxidant gamma-tocopherol, a form of cancer-fighting vitamin E. Pistachios are also packed with potassium, a mineral essential for a healthy nervous system and muscles, and are a good source of vitamin B6, which can lift your mood, fortify your immune system, and more. About 50 nuts = 160 calories, 14 grams fat. A caveat: I broke my two front upper incisors breaking open pistachio shells. Don’t do that.

Weight loss Results for 4/28/11:

Total Loss:

6.7 pounds by four members. Good going. You are making your way to greater health and beauty. Keep up the good work.

Total Gain:

1.6 pounds by two members. You are to be highly commended for reporting. Reporting gains is an important part of the process. Admitting the painful truth is a step toward changing things for the future. Thank you for your honesty.

Stayed the same:

2 members. As you know, staying the same truly is success. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss. Thanks for letting us know.

3106.58 is the total weight loss for the past 8 years. Now that we have hit 1.5 tons we are on our way to losing two tons.

Originally posted by ShrinkKaren View Post
    Celloyogi, you are so right. A loss is a loss no matter how small. All of those half pound losses really do add up. You are going in the right direction. Too bad about the cadbury eggs being gone but it is probably a good thing. Keep going in the right direction
    Yep, definitely a good thing!

No loss/gain this week. I haven't started working out yet, although I'm fairly active during the day. After my cardiac work-up in the next few weeks, I'm planning on adding regular exercise so hopefully that will help get things (scale numbers) moving in the right direction.

I hope everyone else had a better week!

Comment

April 27 - May 4; Lost 0.2 lbs

April 27 - May 4; Lost 0.2 lbs
      33 weeks: Total weight loss since September -- 43.8 lbs (Average per week: 1.33 lbs)

Seemed to yo-yo a lot this week, initially in the weight gain direction. This morning (May 5), after dropping another 0.2 lbs since yesterday, I finally got back down to where I was 4/22 and 4/23. But, in the meantime, I was sometimes up as high as an extra 1.8 lbs. Not sure what was going on; my average calories per day were right around 1200.

(Most weeks, with my calorie cycling plan, average calories are even slightly lower: 1000 - 1150. But, 1200 certainly shouldn't be enough to gain weight. Oh well. Just another twist on my occasional "stalls"?)

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

i'm yo-yo-ing again, lost then gained all week. ended up with a .7 lb gain this morning. oh well. still not a lot of extra weight with the roids. 1 more week of them.
        starting to regain some energy and able to exercise more. that'll help. i'd just been doing a few minutes a day. but now beginning to gain strength as the dosage goes down! yea!
        i'll be off them for 1 wk before heading to annapolis for graduation week. still fit in dress tho!!!!
        i've been very good with cadbury eggs. have 2 left, eating only 1 a week.
        just couldn't bring myself to throwing them out.
        hope everyone has a good week.
        oh, thanks for the nut advice. i made a rice dish (old favorite) that calls for sunflower seeds, added in soy nuts, and pumpkin seed mix from a trail mix DH brought home. it also has raisans, celery, cranberries, onions and tomatoes. so glad i felt like cooking healthy again!
        take care everyone and God bless ya!
        "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by poohb3ar View Post
          i made a rice dish (old favorite) that calls for sunflower seeds, added in soy nuts, and pumpkin seed mix from a trail mix DH brought home. it also has raisans, celery, cranberries, onions and tomatoes.
          What's the whole recipe? It sounds good! I'd never thought to add seeds/nuts to a rice dish.

Comment

i lost 1.5 pounds. I could really go for a yummy snack right now but i guess it should be grapes.

Comment

don`t know how much i lost but my face is showing some loss. i`ve reduced my diet to about 800 - 1000 calories a day (thanks to diabetes, i have the nohow).
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
                ... i`ve reduced my diet to about 800 - 1000 calories a day (thanks to diabetes, i have the nohow).
                Hunterd --

That's a good strategy, for up to 2-3 days in a row.

But:
                - after 3 days in a row of consuming below 1200 calories, your body begins to believe (and worry!) that you are starving it, and will start to hang on to fat and weight.

Every 3rd or 4th day (choosing the same 2 days per week can work well; for example -- Sundays and Thursdays), be sure that you eat at least in the 1200 - 1500 calorie range.

For example, if you eat: 1200+800+800+800+1200+800+800 in 7 days,
                - that is a total of 6400 calories in a week.
                You are still creating a significant calorie deficit by keeping you daily average to about 915 calories per day. And, you won't scare your body into hanging on to fat and pounds, in order to "protect" you from starvation.

That technique is called "calorie cycling". There are lots of different ways to do it, but, the basic concept is the same. Eat more some days, and less other days; be sure to "cycle" your calories, because your body doesn't like it if you eat low-calorie every single day. It confuses your body's metabolism, and helps you to lose weight. :-)

~ Faith
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Sorry to be late. I'm still at 114, same as last week.

My goal is 108, give or take a pound or so. I have 6 more pounds to lose.
                  MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

It's weigh in time. Karen

Comment

Working...
                    X