Scheduled LP today... very anxious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scheduled LP today... very anxious

Hi, I had good news and bad news at my neuro follow up today... My spinal MRI's were clear. But... now I go for a LP in two weeks. I had epidurals with my 2 babies and they were not positive experiences, to say the least. I am so anxious about this test that I am ready to just call the whole thing off and live in limbo. That's irresponsible, of course, so can any of you offer me some moral support and/or tell me about your experiences (that is, if they weren't so bad)? I will be under fluoro so at least they can see what they are doing. And I do have a scrip of Ativan. Get me through this, please!!!

Truly, the LP procedure itself wasn't that bad.

Between having an excellent neuro with a steady hand and a nice shot of lidocaine it was all very bearable. It was over before I knew it.

I did get the dreaded spinal headache about 2 days later. It was totally my fault for overdoing after the LP.

Try to lie very flat and very still for as long as possible after the test. If you get the headache call your neuro right away. They can do a patch to make it go away.

You'll be fine!

Be well,

Comment

You should do really well having it through fluoroscopy, NMC! I honestly don't know one person who had it that way who ended up with "the headache".

I never had a spinal tap, but I did have an epidural when I delivered my daughter MANY years ago, and that's basically the same idea.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I have had two LPs this year. One in January and one in February both done with fluoro. Neither one was a bad experience had a head ache after one but nothing worse than that. I think doing them under fluoro they can see exactly where to go. Had to lay flat for 6 hours after then go home and drink plenty of fluids. Hope this helps. Good luck!
        "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

Good luck! I just had my lumbar puncture done a few weeks ago. I was dreading it (just like I dreaded the epidurals with my kids), but it truly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I did end up getting the headache, but it was over a weekend and I was stubborn and stuck it out. If you end up with the headache, don't be stubborn like me, just get the patch and you will feel fine way sooner.

Anyway, I promise, the anticipation is way worse than the procedure.
          Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

Really not so bad

I have had 3 of them over the years, plus 3 epidurals. I only got a headache after one of the LPs. Like someone else said. the dreading it is the worst part. Again. Don't be afraid to get the patch if you need it. Good luck.

Comment

I had my LP in October 2006. It was done under fluoroscopy, which I highly recommend. I didn't feel a thing while it was being done, not even the numbing injection. For me, the worst part was just having to lie flat on my back for the rest of the day.

Be sure to drink a lot of caffeine (sodas) before and after the procedure. It can help prevent the spinal headache.

Good luck and hugs,

Lisa
              Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I had LP done about 7 months ago with the fluoroscopy. I was very apprehensive, but only felt the numbing shots. LP was done, then I laid flat for an hour or so. After that I got to go home, where I went to bed for 4 or 5 hours to help keep any bad headaches at bay.

My LP doc. said if I start to get a headache to drink some caffeine as this will help keep the headache from taking a strong hold. I did this at home and had no problems.

The actual procedure was not that bad at all. I think I was worked up more just thinking about it, in the end all that thinking wasn't needed.
                Jen

Comment

Thank you so much for your responses. It helps to know that it's the anticipation that's the worst part. I think there's a stigma for the dreaded "spinal tap" that sounds so barbaric. So I have more questions: with all the fluid-drinking, can you at least get up to pee, or do you have to use a bedpan? I have the caffeine covered, I'm a big coffee drinker. Have any of you taken Ativan or Xanax or anything like that beforehand? I got a 1mg dose, usually a 0.5 gets me on an airplane, but I don't think that's going to be enough!

And the fluoroscope, that's a real-time X-ray, does the doctor and assisting staff wear protective gear? I'm just curious about that, I would imagine they'd get too much radiation exposure from that over time. I remember reading that back in the 40's-50's, department stores would use fluoroscopes in shoe departments so people could see how well the shoes fit, sort of a novelty item to get people to buy their shoes. Turns out the salesladies ended up getting cancer several decades later.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I had one in Feb. My Dr. wanted me to have one in Nov. but like you I was "scared" So had to have it in Feb. My MRI's are clear and my lp was fine too. The procedure is no big deal at all. Don't sweat the small stuff. Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

Comment

I had a spinal tap in 06 when diagnosed and honestly I didn't feel anything, He didnt use a flouroscope. He used the lidocaine and done within minutes. I did get a headache but went away in like a week and it wasn't a severe headache just annoying. Then I had another spinal last year because I didnt have any lesions so they wanted to do another one. I didnt feel that one either. I think it's more of the anxiety of thinking of it.You will be fine.

Comment

So... no one has had electric-type jolts down a leg during the procedure? I had that during my epidural(s).

Comment

You shouldn't be nervous. Take your ativan and relax. the procedure is actually very brisk. it's over before you know it. and the most "painful" part in my experience is the numbing you up with lidocaine part. And that part isn't so much painful. it stings some when the inject it. you'll do terrific!

Comment

Originally posted by NotMadCow View Post
                            So... no one has had electric-type jolts down a leg during the procedure? I had that during my epidural(s).
                            Thanks for the reminder!

Yes, I had an electric jolt down my left leg as the neuro was inserting the needle. I almost took out the nurse that was standing in front of me!

It really wasn't uncomfortable, more like hitting your funny bone. It was just surprising.

You'll be fine.

Comment

I had that electric shock jolt to but that is also part of my symptoms. So it didn't scare me, if I am not mistaken it simply means they hit s nerve tell them and they back out. When I had mine 2 months ago I was told there was really no fear of damage because your nerves are floating in liquid kinda like the legs of an octopus. Even if they did hit a nerve it would simply"float" of the needle.

Comment

Working...
                              X