Couple with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple with MS

I was dx in 2006 have been doing pretty well, I think, for about a year and a half. Then about 2 months ago my wife's vision started acting up make a long story short in March they did an mri and she had 6 lesions almost 5 weeks later she had added 4 more .

She has been in the hospital for the last week getting iv steroids. spinal tap has come back positive for MS. All we keep saying is what are the chances.

Is there anyone out there like us or are we the two worst luck people in the world. I know God will only give us what we can handle, but i am not sure if we can make it through this.

Thanks for the vent time

Hoping and praying she gets to come home to me .I miss waking up next to my lovely wife
    DX 10/06
    Copaxone 10/06 -11/06 killed my skin
    Avonex 12/06 - 3/07 hardened one of the valves of my heart

I do know a couple who both have MS. I "met" the husband on another MS board several years ago, and have kept up with how he's doing since then.

I can't remember which of them was diagnosed first, however. His MS has progressed much more than hers, but he is still living at home with the help of a part-time caregiver.

They are still a strong, loving couple.

I feel sure your wife will be coming home to you soon, and that you two will adjust to living with MS together.

Comment

Wow. That must be a tough pill to swallow... Where in OK are you?
      Rae Roy

Comment

Oklahoma city and yes it really is we are both having a tough time taking this in
        DX 10/06

Comment

How are you both handling it? Have you/are you going to the MS Center of Excellence there? I'm in Tulsa and have heard great things about it. How old are both of you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm 20 and have PRMS. In a way, your wife is lucky to have someone so close that REALLY knows what it going on and what it is like to have MS. Very few people have that. I know it's overwhelming to come to terms with your own diagnosis and then have to walk down that road again with your wife.

If you or your wife need anything, feel free to email me privately. My email is in my profile.
          Rae Roy

Comment

My prayers for both of you. Do you have any support system, any children? You've obviously had a rough time with some of the DMDS, too. Are you on one, now?
            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

as for the ms center no i didnt have very good experince there so I will nor my wife will ever go back

As for any of the ms drugs no I am to scared of them after the first two tried to kill me

Support is from friends only only have one step son but he is just satarting his life out on his own and thats hard enough without having to take care of us

I am still pretty mobile for most days and she is just starting off in this so she isnt totally down but the nero isnt giving us good odds with as fast as its all going so far

So thank you for all your thoughts kind words we will get threw this one day at a time
              DX 10/06

Comment

That's really a tough break. I can't even imagine my wife not being there to help support me.
                She does more than I want, or expect.

Although my daughter is still at home,I feel the same way about her. She will do anything we ask, but I try not to impose on her much.
                She has her own life to live.

Comment

YES!!!!

My husband and I both have MS. He was diagnosed in 2000 and I was in 2002.

After my husband was diagnosed which is a story in itself, (everyone keeps telling me I need to write this stuff down it wold be a great book - smile), I went to a regular doctor with the complaint of pins & needles in my arms & legs. He sent me to a neurologist and since my husband was already going to one, I just made an appointment with him.

Well.... they did an MRI of the Spine and Neck which revieled 1 herniated disk in the spine & 3 in my neck. Okay makes sense so we continue with therapy. However I was feeling worse not better. During one of my follow up appointments the Neuroligist is going through the how's this, hows that, any problems with this and when he asked how is your vision, I replied what does that have to do with my neck & back.

He stopped, looked at me and repeated the question, any problems with your vision. I said yes but it's stress, sometime my periphial vision disappears but only for like 15 or 20 minutes.

Well long story short, he sent me to get a MRI of the brain which showed dimiliating spots. When he was setting me up for the spinal tap, he said and I quote "You have a better chance of winning the lottery, 1 in a million that you have MS". Well, I didn't win the lottery and I have MS. He said that we are his 1 in a million patients. He has seen it but it is very rare. He is intreeged by this.

I will tell you though, we found out later that evidently I was missed diagnosed in 1995 and it was actually MS. I had the same symptoms but was told it was Chronic Fatigue. They did all kinds of tests but no MRI of the brain so they ruled in Chronic Fatigue but my Neurologist believes that was the first onset.

It actually makes sense too because after being out of work for 6 months in 95', I recovered about 90 to 95%. Then in 2002 it came back with vengence. My husband on the other hand, diagnosed in 2000 is back to about 90 to 95% and continues doing well. I'm not so lucky at the moment but I have incentive to get better.

I would love to know if there are others out there that both spouses have MS.

Thanks for letting us know we are not alone! By the way, your wife will get better and at least you will both understand what the other is going through. That is the positive take with both having MS.

Comment

We bought our 100 year old house 9 years ago when the owners wife had MS, and the steps got to be too much trouble.
                    Now, I have it.
                    Maybe the house is jinxed?

Comment

Its defintly unfortunate, But in other ways, its not so bad , since now she is going to understand and vica versa.

Besides not to start any debate, but I personeally, believe my marriage would crumble if my wife bacame my Caretaker, NOw you can both have care takers together and you get to keep your loveing wife AS your loving wife Instead of your, well you know what man.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts, We are a staong couple we will get threw this like everything else life has handed to us in the past
                        DX 10/06

Comment

J & S,

I'm sorry to hear that both you and your wife have MS. That must have been difficult to find out, along with your wife's hospital stay.

Like some of the others said, you will both surely understand each others symptoms.

I go to the MS Center of Excellence. I was actually a patient of Dr. Husain prior to her move there. I've only been to one neuro appt and one PT appt. Do you mind me asking what your negative experience was? I had more of a "somonewhat dissapointing" experience, and I'm wondering if we share the same thought.

I wish both you and your wife well.

RoyaleMSer,

Looks like we're not the only Okie's here!!
                          , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Comment

Originally posted by joseph_shelly View Post
                            Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts, We are a staong couple we will get threw this like everything else life has handed to us in the past
                            What a great attitude. I'm so sorry this happened but wish you an easy road of it. Hang in there.
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Thankful2B View Post
                              RoyaleMSer,

Looks like we're not the only Okie's here!!
                              I was a patient of Dr. Husain before I lost my insurance. Now I see Dr. Dean at Neurological Associates. I LOVE him! He actually takes time to talk to me where as Husain would come in for about 2 minutes in a haste. He just started me on Beta when Husain was too hesitant to do so even with a confirmed diagnosis.

I thought about going to the MSCoE before my referral to Dr. Dean went through.
                              Rae Roy

Comment

Working...
                              X