Exacerbation?? How do you know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exacerbation?? How do you know?

How do you know if it is an exacerbation? This may sound like a stupid question, and I am sorry about that. I am really new to this condition (6 wks diagnosed)

I started with Optic Neuritis at 50 yrs old, never being symptomatic until now. My feet are numb, and I have gait issues (intoxicated look while walking). Had some of those symptoms before, but willfully and happily ignored them. Thought they would just go away. I am happy in my denial.

Can I assume those are just symptoms to live with, as long as ON does not come back, all is good? Would I expect that there will be vision issues the next time this rears its ugly lil head? I asked my neuro after the solumedrol how I would know, and he said I will just know. So, I was in some serious denial before losing my vision. Am I safe in my denial now?

Wish I knew what was going on. Thank you for answering a newbies questions.

I have not had any problem with ON for years.. It does not come back every time you have an exacerbation. It sounds like some of the folks have problems with it. I do have other things happening but not the ON. I do hope all goes well for you and that it does not repeat itself.

Lois

Comment

Exacerbations are a worsening of new or old symptoms sustained for at least 48 hours, symptoms that come and go is normal and not considered an exacerbation.

This URL explains exacerbations:
      http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

My exacerbations tend to be relatively the same and my mobility is always affected. I have never had Optic Neuritis.

Over time, with experience with your MS, you will learn what is or is not an exacerbation...for you. If ever in doubt call your neuro.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I found it easier at first to write unusual things that happened on my calendar, until i learned some just went away and some stayed, lasted at least 48 hours. when a new lesion forms causing a "relapse" old lesions tend to be aggravated and it can cause old symptoms to act up with a new or worsening symptom. the only thing they can do for a relapse is treat it wit steroids--so that goes through my mind before i report a potential relapse,in effect i know i am calling to ask for steroids..is the new or worsening symptom affecting me enought to want to do steroids over it? steroids will often lessen the time of the relapse, but if steroids are not used the relapse will heal on its own, just with more time.

first always eliminate the possibility of a psuedo relapse. a pseudo relapse is not a true relapse, its relapse like symptoms causes by heat, stress or virus and resolve after caused then goes away. i would add hormones to the possible causes of pseudo relapses
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

thank you

Thanks for the responses. The idea of journaling is one I will start now, at least it gives me some focus and something to do, fell a bit more "in control".

not sure why I was signed in with a number for the posting.
          You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

Working...
          X