Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copaxone, new user, doesn't seem to be absorbing

Hi

I'm so thankful for this site--on vacation, called shared solutions, nurse has to call back but I have no call back number (so no answer to my question!)

I've been injecting copaxone for approx 10 days. The last two injections (arms) don't seem to be absorbing at all. I've injected in the arms one other time & by morning I couldn't even tell where. This time I still have big red circles so I'm concerned it's not absorbing.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance for any replies. I'll be checking this site from my ipod

(as a side note, I'm disappointed shared solutions doesn't have good online support, unless I'm missing something. I've asked two or three questions & keep getting the same reply via email...please call us at 1800 blablabla. If I wanted to call them I would've done so to begin with )

copaxone, new user, doesnt seem to be absorbing

If the big red circles seems to be just swelling, that's very normal candycane! I get that all the time. As long as you are not seeing any clear liquid at the injection site after you remove the injector (or needle), you are getting it all inside!

You might still want to contact Shared Solutions during 'office hours' to chat with a nurse who may have more questions (or answers) about the redness and swelling.

Good luck with the Copaxone! 22 months for me and no new or active lesions so far.

Hugs,

rak

Comment

You're fine is my best guess.

Injections into more muscular areas (thigh for example) appear to not absorb, but it's fine.

Last week I had a thigh injection stay rock hard for almost 3 days. The area was raised and very hot to the touch, too. Then, the tight lump went away.

Give you body time to know Copaxone.
      I've been injecting many years. Injecting is a Learning/Trial and Error type of situation.

Oh, and if you can, consider injecting manually. It's easier on the body.

Comment

Originally posted by candycane View Post
        (as a side note, I'm disappointed shared solutions doesn't have good online support, unless I'm missing something. I've asked two or three questions & keep getting the same reply via email...please call us at 1800 blablabla. If I wanted to call them I would've done so to begin with )
        I would be willing to bet that they are limiting online assistance in order to comply with HIPAA (privacy laws). Those are federal regs, no way around it. Shared Solutions' system might be HIPAA-compliant but there is no guarantee that the receiving system is.

Comment

Online help...

It isn't safe for the nurses to give medical advise without first speaking with you - they need to hear the inflection in your voice and they need to be able to ask responsive questions. The nurses are very good and it is worth the call.

Comment

Sounds like you are doing it right to me..and sounds like your body is reacting just like mine does. Sometimes the red welts stay a couple days but they are no big deal. And, like rakunbar said..if the liquid is going in you are okay!!

I have had great support from Shared Solutions but you do have to call them. They checked on me all the time in the beginning. Give them a call
            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

The arms can be tricky, since we tend to have a thinner layer of fat there to work with.

It's bad for the skin so you want to go as deep as possible, but going to deep, into muscle not to good either.

I use the auto-ject and on the arms it's set to only 3.9 and it injects slowly. I tend to get some skin reaction. Some find doing it manually helps, since you pinch the skin. Some give up on the arms.

For most of us the first 2or 3 months are the most difficult, it tends to get easier. Body seems to get used to it, and you get better at doing it, can take a while to get the needle depth just right.

Comment

I have been on copaxone for just 2.5 months, and I've had a similar experience. Sometimes my injection sites are fine, other times the area is either white and not absorbing, hot to the touch, or really red and hard. I called and asked a nurse at shared solutions because I had a HUGE bruise on my belly from the injection and she told me that I was going to deep in that area.

Comment

I always get a lump and redness, but my arm lumps are larger and stick around longer than other sites. Definitely give Shared Solutions a call, bit it sounds pretty normal to me...unfortunately.

Comment

I have these painful, burning, itchy lumps that are sometimes the size of my palm, and they can last for weeks. I even had them so bad I ran out of places to inject. And I do call the nurses and its like a broken record, of did you use ice before you injected? Were you sitting down? Did you pinch up the skin? Did you inject slowly, counting to 12, etc. Yes to all questions and it still happens. I went off for a few weeks and when I resumed shots still had a few hard places that I couldnt use.

Comment

Hi candycane,

I was on Copaxone for nearly 3 years but went off it last May.

I often had red lumpy areas that lasted a while, sometimes for weeks. After about 3 months, I had fewer lumps but the arms were always a problem.

I was told to use a warmed gelpack for 5 minutes before doing the shot and a cold one after the shot. After a year or so I skipped the cold gelpack afterwards but I always used Extra Strength Benadryl cream on the area.

You aren't supposed to massage the lump right away after the shot. Copaxone consists of tiny crystals that have to dissolve for a while, and if you massage the lump you might interfere with that process. But after 24 hours you can massage it. Lots of people find that massaging helps to get rid of the lump faster.

I agree that the Shared Solutions toll-free number is very useful. Everyone I dealt with there was always helpful.
                      MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

very normal

Ihave been doing Copaxone for three years and still have the same reaction. I can literally see where I have done my shots everyday for atleast four weeks. Especially on my arms. They are still hard lumps that take weeks to go away. I keep being told that it is normal for some people. God luck with everything

Comment

Thank you all so much for the replies--I can't tell you how much it helped to be able to log onto this site while on vacation w/limited phone access.
                          When we returned I did give Shared Solutions a call & the nurse went over the basics again. I'm sure I understand the procedure & have been doing it right but notice my arms are still the worst area. Maybe this will just be normal for me
                          It helps to know others have struggled & I plan on sticking with it. thanks for the support

Comment

Working...
                          X