MS Treatment and Cholesterol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Treatment and Cholesterol?

Had my first annual exam since my diagnosis and treatment.

My Cholesterol is 350 and my triglycerides are 1300. 500 is considered high.

What in the world?

I know I was in the hospital twice and on steroids forever but really?

So, I get to try to loose a bit more weight, totally change my diet AND go on more meds.

I am thinking loosing my desk job was a good idea at least now I have time and some energy to "work out".

Good gracious....anyone else?

Those are amazingly bad numbers. When's the last time you had that blood work - and what did the numbers look like then? Perhaps you went to a crummy lab - and the test results are off.

If the numbers are in fact real - talk to your family doc about going on a statin drug and perhaps lifestyle modification. Robyn

Comment

Originally posted by robyn55 View Post
      If the numbers are in fact real - talk to your family doc about going on a statin drug...
      There are several reports in the medical literature that beta interferon can raise cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

But maybe not so fast with the statins. A small study of MS patients on a combination of full-dose Rebif and high-dose atorvastatin (Lipitor) found: "The combination of 40 or 80 mg atorvastatin with thrice weekly, 44 microg interferon beta-1a in persons with multiple sclerosis resulted in increased MRI and clinical disease activity. Caution is suggested in administering this combination." (Combining beta interferon and atorvastatin may increase disease activity in multiple sclerosis. Birnbaum G et al; Neurology 2008 Oct 28;71(18):1390-5.)

It's open to interpretation what these results might mean with Betaseron/Extavia and atorvastatin at lower doses or with other statins. But there are similar findings in the medical literature suggestive of increased MS activity in the simultaneous presence of the beta interferons and statins. These findings contradict other studies that showed that statins are beneficial for MS.

I'm on immunosuppressants for NMO, and one of them has significantly raised my LDL and triglycerides. Since statins sometimes don't play well with this med, and other factors put me at low risk of cardiovascular disease over the next 10 years, my PCP and I have decided not to start a cholesterol med.

Comment

Statin drugs, was on lipator for a few months darn near put me out of commision, so i tok the approach and diet, increased my fats and cut out carbs it both lowered my cholestral, tri, and blood sugars drasticly , but every body is different

Comment

Do you take an interferon? My numbers shot up when I first started Betaseron. I got them under control without meds (they weren't as high as yours though.)

First thing I'd do is have them tested again. Be careful what you eat for a few days, then retest just to make sure the test wasn't off.

My GP absolutely won't RX statins for an MS patient...he gave me a couple reasons why he felt it was contraindicated, and to tell you the truth, I can't remember what they were because this has been awhile ago. He did advise me to get an over the counter product called Cholester-off (at least that's what I think it was called.)

Comment

I have high cholesterol also along with high blood pressure. I was taking pravastatin but they took me off to see if that was causing my leg pain, it wasn't. I am now taking Lipofen 150mg. I am not sure what the interaction is with Avonex which I started yesterday. Is anyone aware of an interaction?
            Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
            Babe Ruth

Comment

With numbers that high, you should ask the ordering provider to re-draw the test. Make sure you fast correctly - nothing to eat or drink except water for 12 HOURS before the blood draw. Even a little bit of creamer in your morning coffee can up your numbers.

Definitely have labs re-checked. And ask your doctor about medications considered "supplements" that you might try, or just lifestyle modifications. If your insurance covers visits with a dietician, make an appointment with one. We all know what we're supposed to be eating but putting that knowledge into practice is a whole other ballgame.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
                There are several reports in the medical literature that beta interferon can raise cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

But maybe not so fast with the statins. A small study of MS patients on a combination of full-dose Rebif and high-dose atorvastatin (Lipitor) found: "The combination of 40 or 80 mg atorvastatin with thrice weekly, 44 microg interferon beta-1a in persons with multiple sclerosis resulted in increased MRI and clinical disease activity. Caution is suggested in administering this combination." (Combining beta interferon and atorvastatin may increase disease activity in multiple sclerosis. Birnbaum G et al; Neurology 2008 Oct 28;71(18):1390-5.)

It's open to interpretation what these results might mean with Betaseron/Extavia and atorvastatin at lower doses or with other statins. But there are similar findings in the medical literature suggestive of increased MS activity in the simultaneous presence of the beta interferons and statins. These findings contradict other studies that showed that statins are beneficial for MS.

I'm on immunosuppressants for NMO, and one of them has significantly raised my LDL and triglycerides. Since statins sometimes don't play well with this med, and other factors put me at low risk of cardiovascular disease over the next 10 years, my PCP and I have decided not to start a cholesterol med.
                Thanks for the information.

I agree that if certain drugs don't play well together - a patient should get together with his/her doctors and go over the alternatives. Sometimes you may have to decide which of 2 or more problems is the most dangerous and most treatable - and treat that one instead of the other(s). In this regard - I suspect a neurologist might think differently than a cardiologist .

In this case - the numbers are so off the charts that perhaps the OP has a disease he or she doesn't know about. So I think OP should definitely see a doctor to find out what's going on - and what should be done about it.

FWIW - neither my husband's MS doc nor his cardiologist have a problem with his statin use (his cardiologist has done drug research/development/testing for decades - and probably knows more than the average cardiologist). But that is my husband - and the mileage of any particular patient may vary. Robyn

Comment

Those are really bad numbers. I'm on Crestor, which raises the good cholesterol and lowers the bad and has done a wonderful job with my numbers.
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all the thorough responses!

I spoke with the nurse and she will talk with the doc.

Told her I want to change diet, honestly exercise and possibly start the "slow absorbing niacin" (didn't tollerate the regular one years ago when working for a cardiologist.

She will talk with doc and let me know what she thinks I can do reasonably on my own and if she thinks I still need a script.

I did the fast right, didn't cheat, didn't even drink water that morning (other than whatever I might have drank when I brushed my teeth).

Genuinely frustrated....sugar still all over the place and now this on top of the MS.

BTW: I am 5' 3" and only weigh 138. I know it is not a lot of weight but my best weight is 125. In my opinion 138 should not be so much that my cholesterol and sugar, etc. are out of controll.

Grrrrrr!

Comment

Be careful with STATINS!

My famdoc had me on simvastatin and it added to my MS problems, no question. My famdoc also tried Niaspan (niacin) but that was a waste of money (expensive).

Being DIABETIC, they want my number better than good. I also have a problem with subclinical hypothyroid which just made things even worse.

Statins can, on their own w/o MS cause msucle problems, especially if hypothyroid, (even subclinicaly), just what I needed a double whammy on my muscles.

I need to get my labs done this week for my next famdoc apt. I am taking care of my subclinical hypothyroid issue on my own (was on armour years ago) so I hope my numbers are more to his liking. They were NOT that bad, under the 200s on both cholestrol and triglycerides......NOTHING like wobblers outerspace, deepspace labs.

Good luck wobbler.....

Gomer Dr. of, Been There, Done That

Comment

Update on cholesterol and Betaseron

(Moderator move to medication if you need, I should have started there first I suppose).

Found out today from the Beta Nurse that Betaseron can and has been shown to incread triglycerides in patients.

They had no advice on how to fix the problem so I have a call into my Neuro. I did call my PCM to let her know.

I still plan on the diet changes (a few needed) and the exercise will not kill me.

I will keep you posted in the event you too have an issue.

Thanks!

Comment

Have to add a medication or change one

Given two options.

Change from the Betaseron to another MS medication OR go on the cholesterol lowering medication.

I have chosen to stay on the Betaseron as I have already gone through Copaxone.

I have more choices in cholesterol meds than I do MS meds.

I know everyone has said no statin drugs but they think symvastatin is best..I will keep you posted.

Comment

If you Google 'lipitor and ms' you will find a number of references to studies that show Lipitor actually has been indicated to reduce the occurance of MS relapses. And several others that indicate Lipitor in conjunction with some of the other DMD's might help even more. None of these studies were persued to the extent of gaining FDA approval for Lipitor, perhaps for obvious reasons.

When I brought this up to my neuro of many years ago, he admitted he had seen those studies but he advised me to go on one of the much more expensive DMD's. His clinic of course, received substantial support from various pharmaceutical companies.

Comment

I was on crestor, then someone told me that isn't good to take with MS.

So I did a little looking on the internet, didn't find much about the crestor, but there are some studies that show Lipitor might make copaxone more effective.

I take copaxone and I have to take crestor or lipitor or something, so I switched to lipitor. I have no idea if it helps or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X